Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: What should we do with this masterpiece?

Started by broodblik, 06 July, 2022, 03:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

John Wagner is one of the great masters of comics creating some off the best comic characters ever to grace the pages of comics on third rock from the sun. One of his creations outside the prog "Rok the God" is a self-published graphic novel series. Now here is our fantasy vote, what should happen with Rok:
-   Tharg should get the rights to publish a new series in the prog
-   Tharg should get the rights to publish a new series in the meg as a floppy
-   Tharg should only republished the two existing series as graphical novels (HC please)
-   Tharg should published the third series as graphical novels (HC please)
-   Tharg should show them the money and buy the whole nine yards
-   Nope, not my cup of tea people
-   What John created a character and I know nothing about it!!!!!!!

PS - in no ways am I shamelessly promoting this title or endorse it anyways but to be honest if you have not bought this shame on you
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Well I guess since I want more Rok I'd love to see them go the Scarlet Traces route and I reckon thats

Tharg should show them the money and buy the whole nine yards

we can put dream.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I've not read any Rok, beyond the first issue of the first series. I'd read it if it were in the prog, I guess.

SBT

Magnetica

My preference would be for any future series to be in the Prog.

AlexF

Look I've not read it yet, but my 12-year-old football mad son has and he's up for more.
I guess the sensible model is to run new stuff in the Prog first and then collect but I reckon they should license the rights from whoever owns them to reprint the first two GNS and pay an advance for a third one, keep it as a GN only series (not unlike new Roy of the Rovers, which is also a big hit in my household). But, you know, let Wagner and Co keep the copyright.

IndigoPrime

From what John was saying a while back, the timing wasn't ideal (Rok happened around the time Rebellion bought Roy of the Rovers) and he's still down considerable money from the project.

When you look at it from Rebellion's standpoint, it's hard to know how they'd benefit from running the third arc of a series many folks haven't read in the Meg. There would be no benefit to John in Rebellion republishing, given that it would be better if people bought existing copies.

Huey2

When you look at it from Rebellion's standpoint, it's hard to know how they'd benefit from running the third arc of a series many folks haven't read in the Meg.

Thing is, Wagner and Grant are masters of making any story totally accessible for first time readers. Yes, any third Rok story would have backstory but nothing overly complicated: there's an alien superhero who spends his time as a Earth footballer. That's all you need to know.

Other thing is - I know not all of the meg's readership would have seen Hawk the Slayer (I hadn't) but that didn't stop them running what has been the highlight of the meg so far.

I really want to see a third Rok story. Would love to see a creator owned version in the Meg.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

rok was in comic scene for a while. so i think shift, with it's amazing production values, would be a perfect home.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 06 July, 2022, 11:36:18 AM
rok was in comic scene for a while. so i think shift, with it's amazing production values, would be a perfect home.

That's actually a very good point. The second volume hasn't quite had the level of content as the first yet but something like Rok would be a real boon to that... mind when was the last issue? Feels like a while...

Funt Solo

Nope, not my cup of tea people.

Please no soccer in my prog! Y'see, there was a reason I bought 2000AD and not Roy of the Rovers - and it's because soccer is not on my list. It's not even close. It would be like someone suggesting that (Alien) Songs of Praise would make a good addition to the prog.

Caveat: somehow, Devlin got away with it. I think it was because it was a game set in hell, where the players got brutally murdered by weird hell-weaponry.

Maybe "Rok Brutally Murders & Consumes the Reds" - that might work.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

You have until Wednesday to make up your mind if you like more Wagner in the prog
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Voting Closed

"Lets run this in the prog" gets the nod