Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by judgeurko, 13 November, 2019, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 14 December, 2020, 02:44:04 PM
To be fair, if it wasn't for the remarkable sturdiness of Beskar, the stormtroopers would have nailed the Mandalorian a few times over by now.
Not to mention its apparent resistance to a light sabre.

Molch-R

Quote from: Mister Pops on 15 December, 2020, 02:13:05 AM
I retract my previous statement

How completely random - I know the fella on the receiving end of that shield, we're members of the same non-medieval reenactment group. We had a good laugh at this, it must be said.

pauljholden

Quote from: wedgeski on 15 December, 2020, 10:11:51 AM
To be fair, if it wasn't for the remarkable sturdiness of Beskar, the stormtroopers would have nailed the Mandalorian a few times over by now.

My Mandalorian armour theory is that it actually attracts blasts - maybe not completely but it sort of bends them towards the armour (imperceptibly) this explains why, somehow, the troopers are now crack shots, why only some armour is enough (I mean look at the stupid gaps of armour?) and why it's so valuable (admittedly this theory occurred to me before I saw it was also light sabre proof) also, a second theory out of that is that possibly it's force nullifying because it contains no Mandelbrots (or whatever the force things are called) thereby making it even more valuable and useful as armour against Jedi...

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: pauljholden on 15 December, 2020, 02:04:38 PM
Quote from: wedgeski on 15 December, 2020, 10:11:51 AM

My Mandalorian armour theory is that it actually attracts blasts - maybe not completely but it sort of bends them towards the armour (imperceptibly) this explains why, somehow, the troopers are now crack shots, why only some armour is enough (I mean look at the stupid gaps of armour?) and why it's so valuable (admittedly this theory occurred to me before I saw it was also light sabre proof) also, a second theory out of that is that possibly it's force nullifying because it contains no Mandelbrots (or whatever the force things are called) thereby making it even more valuable and useful as armour against Jedi...

I've always thought a shotgun would be the best weapon against a Jedi. If they tried to deflect a shotgun blast with their lightsabre, it would just turn it into a hail of molten lead.

Although maybe not, because physics is a bit screwy in Star Wars with all the freezing lazer bolts mid-air and "dropping" bombs in space and emperors surviving after being chucked down a space station shaft and then blowing up the space station which was massive, but the space station's tidal gravity seemingly didn't affect the moon it was orbiting. All this can be hand-waived with "the force", but this makes it hard to make predictions on how things interact.

Anyway, assuming it can't be deflected they could use the force to stop the blast mid air, a bit like Keanu Reeves in the Matrix, but that would take more effort and concentration.

So a shotgun wielding Mando in full beskar could effectively neutralize a lightsabre's defense and offense.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mister Pops on 15 December, 2020, 02:32:07 PM....and "dropping" bombs in space ...

>adjusts glasses<

This is possibly the least problematic bit of physics in SW! Resistance bombers obviously have artificial gravity internally, and store bombs in tall vertical racks.  When released the bombs start accelerating 'down' under that gravity (just like Rose's sister does), and then continue outside the field at the velocity they have built up.  There may be an anti-shielding advantage to munitions that are themselves unpowered or travelling at low speeds (this is the way the Jedi and Clones deal with Destroyer Droid shields in TCW, and sort-of how the Battle Droids penetrate the Gungan shield on Naboo).

The rest, yeah, bobbins.  Best to assume that what with it being fantasy an entirely different set of physical laws apply in SW, it saves the noggin.

As to shotguns, maybe, but some kind of fragmentation device would be good too. Note that the Jedi have no obvious defence against the green 'sonic' weapons that the Geonosians use in AotC - suggests that a flashbang packed with random sharp things might settle their hash.

I think PJ's theory about Beskar nullifying the Midiwotsits has merit: Timothy Zahn's increasingly-recanonised novels introduced a creature that could do that, before Midichlorians were a thing.

Canonically Beskar's properties goes back to the Rebels cartoon, and the scales of a Zillo Beast from Clone Wars were impervious to lightsabres too - while it doesn't look it, maybe Beskar ore is formed by organic processes, in the same way that real-life Bog Iron is leached by organically-concentrated acids and deposited in layers?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mister Pops on 15 December, 2020, 02:32:07 PM
emperors surviving after being chucked down a space station shaft and then blowing up the space station which was massive

If we indulge and presume Palpatine managed to survive his fall –through whatever means– he still had plenty of time to get off the Death Star.

Luke managed to get his da, presumably to a lift that took them down the tower, then limped their way to the docking bay where they rested, shared a moment >Williams on harp<, before Luke dragged Vader's body onto the shuttle and took off in time for Yub Nub.

TordelBack

Time there may have been, but there is the small matter of a big whooshy explosion right after he went skydiving.

I'd rather see all the reflux as his Sithly energies escaping and heading off in search of a suitable host. RoS makes the spirit-transfer-process canonically possible, and so potentially Vader/Anakin chucks him down the pit specifically to prevent him leaping into Luke at the point of physical death, as he planned to do to Rey.

Add in  post-RotJ clone experiments that for some reason need transfusions from midichlorian-rich infants, and I think a more ethereal escape route is being established.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 December, 2020, 03:13:03 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 15 December, 2020, 02:32:07 PM....and "dropping" bombs in space ...

>adjusts glasses<

This is possibly the least problematic bit of physics in SW! Resistance bombers obviously have artificial gravity internally, and store bombs in tall vertical racks.  When released the bombs start accelerating 'down' under that gravity (just like Rose's sister does), and then continue outside the field at the velocity they have built up.  There may be an anti-shielding advantage to munitions that are themselves unpowered or travelling at low speeds (this is the way the Jedi and Clones deal with Destroyer Droid shields in TCW, and sort-of how the Battle Droids penetrate the Gungan shield on Naboo).

I thought it was something to do with the bombs falling towards the nearest gravity well?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 December, 2020, 04:10:13 PM
Time there may have been, but there is the small matter of a big whooshy explosion right after he went skydiving.

Never underestimate the power of old man gas.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

This thread is the Star Wars equivalent of republicans trying to explain what Trump really meant
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 15 December, 2020, 05:08:21 PM
I thought it was something to do with the bombs falling towards the nearest gravity well?

Quite possibly! I try to base my wittering only on what I see on screen with my own fading peepers. There may be official explanations, but I never trust those, having lived through too many Great Resets.

Quote from: Mister Pops on 15 December, 2020, 05:13:37 PM
This thread is the Star Wars equivalent of republicans trying to explain what Trump really meant

Trump is just another fandom.

shaolin_monkey

Anyway, it was nice to hear the sound effect of that seismic charge again, which I felt was by far the best part of Attack of the Clones.

TordelBack

Forget all this derivative bollocks, cop an eyeful of this. Just drink in every glorious frame. Behind the scenes of the greatest film ever made, with the most extraordinary woman ever to don a novelty plait.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 December, 2020, 08:11:01 AM
Forget all this derivative bollocks, cop an eyeful of this. Just drink in every glorious frame. Behind the scenes of the greatest film ever made, with the most extraordinary woman ever to don a novelty plait.

Fantastic behind the scenes and it's definitely the best of all the SW films
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 December, 2020, 08:11:01 AM

Yes sir, I'll take it.  Thanks for that, TB.  Watching that film in the cinema is one of my earliest memories. Mark Hamill was, and is, a fun, witty and all-round great fella, and of course Carrie Fisher was a superstar. 
(I hadn't realised she was so small.)

I feel like a SW prodigal son now with the Mandalorian on TV - if the franchise continues at this level of quality I'm back in the fold for good.  I watched the most recent one last night, and it's kind of like Torquemada and his past selves - it's all the best action movies ever made.  Mad Max 2 in the mix last night to add to The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Crouching Tiger, lots of good WW2 movies and, well, Star Wars.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"