Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ICONIC_TM

I,ll Have To Admit I Think Underworld Evolution Is Classy, And Kates A Babe!

SmallBlueThing

Harry Potter 1&2, in a double bill yesterday, interrupted only by hacking coughs from myself and youngest boy- off work and school with lurgi.
Both films are overlong and terribly twee, yet at the same time manage to feel like a light pass of the novels, missing out the texture. The narrative is pared down, and jumps around dissappointingly, but the young cast is promising, except when required to do greenscreeb work like the quidditch matches, when they overact magnificently. The slytherin team are especially guilty of this.
The adult cast are distracting due to their fame, with only hagrid and dumbledore really inhabiting the characters as written. And the special effects are atrocious- really very bad indeed... which lends them a certain charm i admit.
On the whole i can see why me and the wife stopped bothering with them after these, but as the boys and i are currently working our way through the novels (second half of azkaban at present), i sort of look forward to seeing if they get any better.
SBT

ICONIC_TM

I,ll Have To Admit I Also Think GIJOE Rise Of Cobra Is Classy,
And Sienna Is Also A Babe!  ;) ;)

brendan1

Finally watched "Kill List" from the bloke who did suburban gangster film "Down Terrace".

It's ace. Although that doesn't mean it's perfect. Or makes any sense whatsoever.

It's part grim urban hitman/ revenge film, part Wicker Man and all mental.

chaingunchimp

the Howling 5 the Rebirth: not a bad film I suppose, shows a lot of promise but nowhere near enough werewolf action going on here, I'm all for keeping a makeup in low light if it's not going to look effective on the screen otherwise (especially in the case of low budget productions) but they are somewhat taking the piss here only eye, teeth and hand inserts and about four seconds of a badly lit full body suit (which actually looked ok so dunno why they didnt really use it). Also didn't realise Philip Davis was in this, great actor.(it's got a good but cheesy soundtrack too).

And The Dead: an African zombie film. It was ok, good solid concept but didn't really keep my attention for very long.
just too metal

my blog: http://chaingunchimp.blogspot.com/

For awesome original art by top comic creators please visit:

http://berserkercomicart.com/

Spaceghost

Quote from: chaingunchimp on 17 January, 2012, 11:33:19 AM
And The Dead: an African zombie film. It was ok, good solid concept but didn't really keep my attention for very long.

Is that the one with the beardy, silent woodsman and plucky punk rock chick fighting zombies created by aliens?

I loved that!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

chaingunchimp

nope, its this one:

"When the last evacuation flight out of war-torn Africa crashes off the coast, American Air Force Engineer Lieutenant Brian Murphy (ROB FREEMAN) emerges as the sole survivor in a land where the dead are returning to life and attacking the living.
On the run in a hostile and inhospitable parched landscape, where sudden death lurks around every sun-burnished corner, Murphy has to use his wits and ingenuity if he is to get home alive to his family.
When Murphys path clashes with that of Sergeant Daniel Dembele (PRINCE DAVID OSEI), whose village has been torn apart by the reanimated dead, they join forces.
The two desperate men from two very different cultures fight side by side to survive across the incredible vistas of Africa as the world succumbs to the deadliest of viruses."

(thanks IMDB less typing for me lol). its a good idea and it's nice to look at, but its missing something cant put my finger on what it is. The American actor is pretty wooden aswell.

just too metal

SuperSurfer

Exorcist (which I watched on Friday 13th). Okay the head turning bit is a bit naff but that film still spooks me – in particular the voices the possessed girl makes. That speaking backwards which sounds like a radio being tuned in freaks me out.

chaingunchimp

Yea I love that film (the exorcist) one of the few films that manage to creep me out after years of pumping my brain full of horror imagery. Just everything about it is good. Anyone here ever read the book, it's even better if that's possible.

I have a wee Regain painting I'm working on at the mo so may stick it up on the cc thread at some point.
just too metal

Gonk

Stallone's Judge Dredd...would you believe. on dvd....just to see if it was as bad as i rememeber it being when i saw it way back in 1895.... yep it still sucks. To be fair though the fight scene between Hershey & Joan Chen (cant remeber character name) was quite good in fact almost stimulating at times !

Seriously now (fnarr,fnarr,) I'm watching Frankenstein. Fantastic!
coming at a cinema near you soon

I, Cosh

Couldn't pass up the chance to see one of my favourite films at the pictures: Aguirre, the Wrath of God. Really lovely, vibrant print too, with the colours pinging out at you. Far better looking than my DVD copy. Everything was going so well right up to the first conversation between Aguirre and Pizzaro when it turns out it's only bloody dubbed into American. On the bright side, dialogue is kept to a minimum and Klaus Kinski does most of his acting with his body and his awesome, mad starey eyes. On the less bright side, I got home, stuck the DVD on and was pretty shocked to see that  in the very first scene, the dubbed dialogue completely changes the sense of the conversation. Hmm.
We never really die.

ICONIC_TM

You Will Find The Exorcist On TV Tonite 12.25 ITV4  :o

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: chaingunchimp on 17 January, 2012, 12:34:39 PM
Yea I love that film (the exorcist) one of the few films that manage to creep me out after years of pumping my brain full of horror imagery. Just everything about it is good. Anyone here ever read the book, it's even better if that's possible.

Ah, The Exorcist, probably my favourite film of all time - second only to the matchless Jaws - and, if you believe Mark Kermode, the single greatest film ever made, and he's probably right; it's either a profound and deeply spiritual film on the mysteries of faith and the eternal battle of good vs. evil, or just a schlocky old 1970's horror flick, it leaves the viewer to decide, and what you get from the film is pretty much what you put into it, I just wish William Friedkin had left the film alone and not went back and totally desecrated it with that horrendous 'Version You've Never Seen' extended cut (I truly wish I HADN'T seen it)...

Of the scenes re-edited back in, only the first medical examination, the little exchange between Karras and Merrin on the stairs, and the original coda between Fr. Dwyer and Lt. Kinderman should have been restored, as the novel's author/movie screenwriter William Peter Blatty always felt they should never have been cut in the first place, and desperately pleaded with Friedkin to put them back in, and Friedkin finally did it as a personal favour, which I understand, but he should only have put those three scenes back in, and left the rest of the film untouched, not the other crap he threw in as well, and the completely ridiculous and OTT so-called 'spider walk' sequence should have been left on the cutting room floor, whatever version it is... Friedkin stated on the DVD interview an artist should leave his art alone after painting it, I wish he had followed his own advice!
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Gonk

A genuinely scary black and white British film from 1957 - yes! "Night of the Demon" This film is the most psychologically creepy one I've ever seen. The sense of mounting hysteria that the strange series of coincidences infects the characters with give this flick a real chilling aspect to it. Paranoid? Oh yes!
coming at a cinema near you soon

JamesC

Quote from: wonkychop on 18 January, 2012, 12:42:17 PM
A genuinely scary black and white British film from 1957 - yes! "Night of the Demon" This film is the most psychologically creepy one I've ever seen. The sense of mounting hysteria that the strange series of coincidences infects the characters with give this flick a real chilling aspect to it. Paranoid? Oh yes!

Was it on TV? Haven't seen that for years.