Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: hoops on 20 July, 2012, 04:28:25 PM
Went to the cinema for a Batman Begins/The Dark Knight double bill last night...great to see them on the big screen again

Dear me, your botty must have been severely numb after that. Could you walk? I like both films (although I think they're overrated, particularly the second) but the each of them is pretty lengthy.

hoops

Quote from: Mardroid on 20 July, 2012, 04:40:24 PM
Quote from: hoops on 20 July, 2012, 04:28:25 PM
Went to the cinema for a Batman Begins/The Dark Knight double bill last night...great to see them on the big screen again

Dear me, your botty must have been severely numb after that. Could you walk? I like both films (although I think they're overrated, particularly the second) but the each of them is pretty lengthy.

Yeah, it started to get pretty numb around the four hour mark  :-[

COMMANDO FORCES

Just watched BURIED staring Ryan Reynolds and what a performance he gave, for a change!

As the title says, he's buried and without giving anything away he's a contractor in Iraq and the shit hits the fan. He has to react against voices on the other end of the phone, as he goes through the torture of his ordeal. The tension mounts up as he tries to contact the people who can try and get him out of this mess. All the while his battery on his phone is doing the inevitable.

Thoroughly enjoyed the ending but I won't give that away, even with spoiler tags  ;)

DeFuzzed

Real Steel, 2011.

Surprisingly fun, despite an annoying Kate from Lost and an annoying boy who resembled annoying little Anakin Skywalker and a Hugh Jackman with distracting even white teeth. Did he have those teeth as Wolverine? So white. And even.

Robots fight robots in a ring. I know. And yet, it is fun. And no, I don't have an explanation for it.

hoops

The Dark Knight Rises

Pretty dreadful stuff i have to say, so many things wrong with it i don't think i'll even start...and that's depressing for a Batfreak like me :(

Professor Bear

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 22 July, 2012, 11:19:56 PM
Real Steel, 2011.

Surprisingly fun, despite an annoying Kate from Lost and an annoying boy who resembled annoying little Anakin Skywalker and a Hugh Jackman with distracting even white teeth. Did he have those teeth as Wolverine? So white. And even.

Robots fight robots in a ring. I know. And yet, it is fun. And no, I don't have an explanation for it.

It's hard to hate any film whose opening gambit is a fistfight between a robot and a bull.

SmallBlueThing

JAWS

At my youngest's request, as our evening movie. Granny is staying with us, and despite being told he doesnt need the reassurance, her constant "oh! Dont worry dear, it's just pretend!" never ceased to drive me to distraction. Along with her coughing, immediately followed by a small "oh dear!" ("HACK!oh dear! HACK!oh dear!") i ended the film very much wishing i was quint. Or that we had compressed air cylinders around the house.

Her eyesight and hearing not being good, when brody hands his smallest child to ellen after his eldest is discharged with mild shock, she squeaked in horror "why did he give her a severed leg?" and ended the film with "whatever happened to the nice policeman in the glasses who wanted to close the beach?". "He shot the shark, mom, that was him" says my wife "Oh, are you sure?" she replied. I wonder who she thought she was watching...

Anyway, again JAWS is fantastic and never gets old. And quint dies 30 years to the day after he was pulled out of the water during the (cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont) war, when his ship went down. Id not noticed that before.

Also: TRILOGY OF TERROR

Well, the final karen black story with the zuni fetish doll, anyway. Granny didnt approve, thinking it far too scary for small boys. But granny fucks off in ten days, so i dont care. Boys want to buy her a zuni fetish doll for xmas. Heh, heh and indeed, heh.

SBT

Ancient Otter

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Iron Sky - Not played straight at all. They're really really trying to be a naff and shite, it's very endearing.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 July, 2012, 09:22:06 PM
Her eyesight and hearing not being good, when brody hands his smallest child to ellen after his eldest is discharged with mild shock, she squeaked in horror "why did he give her a severed leg?" ...

Best thing I'm likely to read all week! 

It also never hurts to reiterate the obvious: this film is magnificent.  Among a mound of other interesting details we finally picked up on on our recent cinema viewing was the way each of the three main characters is established in a separate act - Brody in Act 1, Hooper in Act 2 and Quint in Act 3.  Each given a lovely bit of room to strut their stuff.

maryanddavid

I liked Buried too,CF, a brave move, it could have been so bad.
I watched 'Goon' over the weekend, and really enjoyed it despited not knowing anything about ice hockey, other than it apparently has its origin in Shinty/Hurling.
Sean William Scott is the star, so it might suffer from the better-than-I though-it-would-be syndrome, I was expecting some form of American Pie. Worth a watch, if only to see Scott do his usual, but to good effect.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 July, 2012, 10:49:34 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 July, 2012, 09:22:06 PM
Her eyesight and hearing not being good, when brody hands his smallest child to ellen after his eldest is discharged with mild shock, she squeaked in horror "why did he give her a severed leg?" ...

Best thing I'm likely to read all week! 

It also never hurts to reiterate the obvious: this film is magnificent.  Among a mound of other interesting details we finally picked up on on our recent cinema viewing was the way each of the three main characters is established in a separate act - Brody in Act 1, Hooper in Act 2 and Quint in Act 3.  Each given a lovely bit of room to strut their stuff.

Yup. I find it hard to articulate how much I love this movie.

Colin YNWA

While we were camping this weekend with a whole bunch of friends, my daughter who is 3, made a really good friendship (in the way 3 year old do) with the 4 year old daughter of a friend of mine. They were inseparable... trust me this will get on topic.

We get home and last night my daughter asks me instead of a bit of telly before bedtime can she watch Star Wars. I had to fight back the tears of joy. We only managed the first 15 minutes, but the fact that Princess Leia (any Princess will do) was there at the start means she loved it. Asked a million questions, loved R2 and was scared by the Jawas (not Darth yet disappointingly). When I said it was bedtime she wasn't happy and I said we could watch it next time we have the telly. I'm so proud.

So it turns out Jasmine, my daughters new friend was telling Bethan (my daughter) all about it when we were away.Jim (the father of this lass) is a massive Star Wars fan and I owe him big time!

Ancient Otter

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 22 July, 2012, 02:50:35 AM
Just watched BURIED staring Ryan Reynolds and what a performance he gave, for a change!

Caught this in the cinema, was hardly anyone there when I was watching so it added the atmosphere...really liked it. Anyone see the homage to it in the BBC3 sitcom White Van Man?