Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 February, 2013, 10:28:45 PM
It's not quite Cowboy Bebop.

Ahh, but what is?

Oddly enough, I recently sat down and rewatched 'Cowboy Bebop : The Movie', which is properly flinkin' excellent!

And a heads up for ALL the forumers - The complete series is getting a UK re-release in the third quarter from a new distro calling themselves 'Anime Limited'. Whether anime is your thing or not, it's BRILLIANT little sci-fi show - and free of a good many of the idiosyncracies that non-fans of anime seem to regularly cite as turn offs.

I'd urge anyone who's even a LITTLE bit curious to check it out. It has great characters, superb animation, and am ending that'll punch you in the gut harder than Mike Tyson.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Hawkmumbler

Oh, HIGH praise be to Cowboy Bebop. Certainly amongst the most 'Western' of anime, glories it is and every episode oozes style with a thumping sound track and excelent animation. If anyone has the time to check out the series and/ or movie on YT then DO SO. No one will be dissapointed.

Spikes

A trio of classics,
Crocodile Dundee, The Godfather Part 2 and The Wrath of Khan.

JamesC

Flight with Denzel Washington.

Quite good but heavy going - all about alcoholism.
Cracking bit of tit and fanny in the first 5 mins though.

Frank

I see what you did there, Jack, very subtle thematic connection between all three of those films.

Searching for Sugarman last night, which made me tear up and has a great bit where someone asks the former head of Motown records where all the profits from the millions of albums Rodriguez sold in SA disappeared to. He responds with one of the most impressive displays of bluster and dissemination I have ever witnessed: "there are millions in chains because of Apartheid, and you're asking me about money?". Clay Davis would be proud.

Berberian Sound Studio before that, which just freaked me out in a Hammer Horror-meets-Repulsion kind of way. It must have been the magpies that did it.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Yeah searching for sugar man was great. Watched 'Network' that was good.

Tiplodocus

Jonah hex.

Jonah shit more like.

I have missed that particular review style and though I'd try resurrect it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 03 February, 2013, 08:35:45 PM
Jonah hex.

Jonah shit more like.

I have missed that particular review style and though I'd try resurrect it.
Surely Jonah HACKS is the natural pun? :-\

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Professor Bear

Nazis at the Center of the Earth - more like Shit in Some More Shit.
Lots of outrageous ideas and an admirable mix of the old-school Mars Attacks! sci-fi grotesque completely undone by the fact it is made by The Asylum, and much as I admire those dudes for crapping out mockbusters, there's no getting away from the sad fact that they do not make good movies on a production level - great concepts, admirable work ethic, but the actual movies are just not much cop.
It also doesn't help that the film dwells too much on some of its grotesque imagery rather than letting the imagination do some of the work, with the end result that a lot of scenes end up onscreen too long and just come off as sadism for entertainment, like the character gang-raped to death by Nazi zombies in a scene that gets built up for about five minutes beforehand, or the bit where that lady has her unborn child sucked out by Jake Busey with a hoover, or that bit with the lass getting her brain pulled out by a Nazi - stuff like this is fine in concept, but see too much of it and the rough edges tend to distract you and shatter your immersion in the fiction one way or another.
Better than most other Asylum films, but let's step back and examine that qualification for a minute, shall we?  Probably worth a pound if you have that and two hours going spare.

Mabs

Just re-watched the classic Django last night, along with my first viewing of Django: Prepare a Coffin (which i bought while out shopping at Sainsbury's for a measily £3). The first is ofcourse a classic and a hugely enjoyable fare, but i was quite surprised with the latter, because regardless of the fact Franco Nero and Corbucci are both absent; it was still rather enjoyable. Terence Hill does a great job as the title character, although throughout the majority of the films short running time - he gets his arse handed to him by the bad guys once too often! But when he retaliates, boy is it a thing of beauty especially in the end, surrounded by the bad guys. I just punched the air right at that moment!

Also in the evening watched Superman Returns with the family (it was on ITV3). My son in particular went barmy, running around like he was Superman singing the theme tune as best he could!  :D. Although i'm not too big a fan of the film (its not a patch on the originals which i grew up with), i always thought it was an okay re-boot, that was though until my son got really upset with the part where Luther and his goons beat him to a pulp and throw him over the side; seriously he was so upset about it i had to explain to him that Supes can never die and he'd come back up in a jiffy. Bastards. Anyway, he was fine afterwards.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JamesC

Cockneys vs Zombies.

Terrible but good fun and some very entertaining swearing.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mabs on 04 February, 2013, 11:06:19 AMmy son got really upset with the part where Luther and his goons beat him to a pulp and throw him over the side; seriously he was so upset about it i had to explain to him that Supes can never die and he'd come back up in a jiffy. Bastards. Anyway, he was fine afterwards.

Oh you mean the scene where the crime boss has his men gang up on a weak character in the showers while talking about how they establish a pecking order in prison, and then the goons beat him up and hold him down so the boss can "stab him from behind"?  Perfectly appropriate for a kids' film, as is that scene where Superman stalks a family for several hours before breaking into the child's room after he's gone to bed and saying "don't tell your mum about this, it's our little secret."

radiator

Watched the first half of 21 Jump Street last night - had to stop it halfway through as it was late.

It was OK, but far from the modern comedy classic some people claim. Very patchy, with far more misses than hits.

I think the main thing I'll take away from it was that the opening scene is a high school flashback.... set in 2005!

That made me feel pretty old!

Mabs

Quote from: Thunders McQueen on 04 February, 2013, 01:35:05 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 04 February, 2013, 11:06:19 AMmy son got really upset with the part where Luther and his goons beat him to a pulp and throw him over the side; seriously he was so upset about it i had to explain to him that Supes can never die and he'd come back up in a jiffy. Bastards. Anyway, he was fine afterwards.

Oh you mean the scene where the crime boss has his men gang up on a weak character in the showers while talking about how they establish a pecking order in prison, and then the goons beat him up and hold him down so the boss can "stab him from behind"?  Perfectly appropriate for a kids' film, as is that scene where Superman stalks a family for several hours before breaking into the child's room after he's gone to bed and saying "don't tell your mum about this, it's our little secret."

:D,

My thoughts exactly when seeing it again last evening;  he's a voyeur/ peeping tom whatever way you look at it. Makes you think what else he gets up to..  :-\
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie