Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

it's on Netflix USA too, not see it yet, will to tonight!

MR. ELIMINATOR

Watched Hausu (1977) last night. Brilliantly bonkers Japanese haunted house film, great fun.

Goaty

The Dark Knight

Not watch it for years (strange that it wasn't on TV for years!) and it still a great film, a film that Joker brings chaos into orders. Bat-Pod, the truck flip, Joker and that ending with people got choice of bomb other ship, wow...

Heath Ledger was perfect as the Joker, as honest when first time I hear about casting, I thought, nah, that wouldn't work, I am glad to be wrong.

Mabs

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 06 March, 2014, 09:25:00 AM
We are watching Gravity tonight, but it'll have to go some to beat ER. The final payoff had me grinning from ear to ear. Exceptional film, and one I heartily recommended.

SBT

I haven't watched Gravity yet, but I'm looking forward to Europa Report even more. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, SBT!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

Serenity. I know with Whedon in the ascendant it's the fashion to gently mock the passions of Firefly fandom, but that is one genuinely great SF movie, all the more remarkable for what and how it is.  Time dulls my frustrations with it ever more, and the good just gets better and better.  "Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down, tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her home."  Clever, sustained, satisfying stuff.

Mabs

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 March, 2014, 10:20:33 PM
Serenity. I know with Whedon in the ascendant it's the fashion to gently mock the passions of Firefly fandom, but that is one genuinely great SF movie, all the more remarkable for what and how it is.  Time dulls my frustrations with it ever more, and the good just gets better and better.  "Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down, tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her home."  Clever, sustained, satisfying stuff.

For me, it's Whedon's best film by a mile. I absolutely love it, which reminds me, it's been a while since I watched it so I  might do that later on today (if I hopefully get the time that is!).
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

von Boom

Quote from: Mabs on 07 March, 2014, 03:49:42 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 06 March, 2014, 10:20:33 PM

For me, it's Whedon's best film by a mile. I absolutely love it, which reminds me, it's been a while since I watched it so I  might do that later on today (if I hopefully get the time that is!).

My wife and I loved Firefly and were so excited to see Serenity when it came out. It was all going so well until [spoiler]Wash died[/spoiler]. Now I have to watch Serenity when the missus is not around.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Mabs on 06 March, 2014, 08:14:27 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 06 March, 2014, 09:25:00 AM
We are watching Gravity tonight, but it'll have to go some to beat ER. The final payoff had me grinning from ear to ear. Exceptional film, and one I heartily recommended.

SBT

I haven't watched Gravity yet, but I'm looking forward to Europa Report even more. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, SBT!

Ooh, I'm intrigued!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbw9hlBnG74

TordelBack

Quote from: von Boom on 07 March, 2014, 12:46:44 PM
My wife and I loved Firefly and were so excited to see Serenity when it came out. It was all going so well until [spoiler]Wash died[/spoiler]. Now I have to watch Serenity when the missus is not around.

It went the same way for us, but with the passage of time, and realisation that there is never going to be any more Firefly, I've come to accept it.  As the voice of reason and moderation throughout the film, the timing and manner of [spoiler] Wash's[/spoiler] death was appropriate.  It definitely spoiled my enjoyment of the end of the movie in the cinema, and on several viewings afterwards, but now knowing that at least one character actually got a proper ending feels right ([spoiler]Shepherd Book[/spoiler] was sufficiently different in the film that his death doesn't really feel like an ending for that character) .  Like the man says, there's no shame in this.

Daveycandlish

The Grand Budapest Hotel.
If you've ever seen a Wes Anderson film you know you are going to get quirky and this is no exception but it is absolutely hilarious.  I often find the funniest bits of his movies are in the trailers but there was plenty more in this than just those clips. An all star cast (some mounting to mere cameos) give it their all and go at such a lick that if you don't concentrate you miss some of the patter. Wonderfully old school effects for the chase scenes in the snow - like watching Michael Bentine's Potty Time! Some of the character deaths are a bit dark in comparison to the overall tone but overall it's wonderful - definitely worth a look-see.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Theblazeuk

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 March, 2014, 12:55:28 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 07 March, 2014, 12:46:44 PM

It went the same way for us, but with the passage of time, and realisation that there is never going to be any more Firefly, I've come to accept it.  As the voice of reason and moderation throughout the film, the timing and manner of [spoiler] Wash's[/spoiler] death was appropriate.  It definitely spoiled my enjoyment of the end of the movie in the cinema, and on several viewings afterwards, but now knowing that at least one character actually got a proper ending feels right ([spoiler]Shepherd Book[/spoiler] was sufficiently different in the film that his death doesn't really feel like an ending for that character) .  Like the man says, there's no shame in this.

My main regret is that the story of the Shepherd never goes anywhere.

HdE

There's canonical Firefly comics, peeps (albeit under the Serenity title,) and pretty good ones, too. I hear there's more in the pipeline as well.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

TordelBack

Canonical shamonical.

John Carter.  My thoughts seem to be in agreement with most here.  Oh it's flabby and a bit odd, but then who isn't?  A visually impressive and generally enjoyable film, and not a bad treatment of the source material.  Good cast too. Really didn't deserve its fate.

The Enigmatic Dr X

GRAVITY

I saw it, and it was good. The most tense film I've seen since Jaws, if not ever. Can't recommend it enough. Stunning FX - I wonder if I'll see it in 10 years and think, "how could I have been so impressed with this?"
Lock up your spoons!

Frank

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 08 March, 2014, 09:08:32 AM
GRAVITY I saw it, and it was good. The most tense film I've seen since Jaws, if not ever. Can't recommend it enough. Stunning FX - I wonder if I'll see it in 10 years and think, "how could I have been so impressed with this?"

Depends what you mean. The effects are doing something understated and naturalistic, so I don't think they'll date quite as badly as pixel work on fantastical stuff like T2 and The Matrix. The sweaty palm tension, followed by palpable relief, of the bits where Bullock can't ... quite ... reach the handle which is all that stands between her and spinning off into the frozen emptiness of infinite space works in the same way as good stuff like the sequence in Misery where James Caan is trying to crawl around Kathy Bates's house before she gets back from the shops.

That never gets old.