Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 19 June, 2014, 02:00:35 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 June, 2014, 12:09:26 PM
Some people (myself included) used to think it was OK to review films and always ensure they contained comments about who, from the cast, they would like "to do!". 

But we don't do that anymore.

I don't really want to do either of those women, but I was distracted and perhaps wouldn't mind a hug.

:lol:

Recrewt

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 June, 2014, 02:07:16 PM
Sorry, but I've been feeling different lately and more alive than I have in years. Despite my age.

It's Slough Feg all over again!   :o

:lol:

Satanist

Watched The Double the other night and very enjoyable it was too. It probably helps that it totally reminds me of Terry Gilliam, specifically Brazil.

Main actors are that guy from that film about that guy who inflicted facebook on the world. I think. Supporting cast are excellent, I won't say who's in it as I went in blind but was great to see them pop up here and there.

I thought it was great*.

*Not so great as I would totally do the cast but then I'm quite choosy about where I stick my imaginary bits.
;)
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Goaty

One night every week I random pick crappest films from Netflix USA.

Last night was Dracula 3000, plot: Count Dracula terrorizes the crew of a spaceship.

What a shittest film, with shit productions, awful actings, crap sfx and no plot!

So what on next week! :)

Professor Bear

There is nothing I can tell you about The Adventures of Robo Rex that the trailer cannot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDCJ7rCAqZc
Whatever you think it is from that trailer, you're absolutely right, and it may in time come to be seen as proof positive that movies can be high art.

Neon City - a low budget post-apocalyptic remake of Stagecoach starring Michael Ironside and Drusilla from Buffy?  I have literally no idea how I have made it to the year 2014 without having seen this before.  Complete trash - that goes without saying - but while what's onscreen was definitely bad acting in 1992, time has marched on and it's now retroactively become some kind of transcendent life-affirming thespianism, the action sequences becoming impressive because of their use of physical effects and locations, and the overt displays of effeminate emotions from the male cast members is actually quite shocking - there's a bit where one of the manly gun-toting characters finds the violated and dying body of his sister and he screams and starts crying and all I could think of was modern low-budget flicks from the Asylum or whoever where characters come across their dead wives and display little or no emotion, and usually even end up shagging a female before the film has finished because they care so little for the fate of women.  It's especially odd to see Michael Ironside's character displaying misogyny towards several of his traveling companions which he then comes to regret, an unthinkable plot arc in modern trash movies despite our supposedly more enlightened culture, with a really interesting arc with him and his ex-wife that basically boils down to his having to forgive her for not dying with their son so he could idealise them both, but the plot is not only left unresolved with her sudden death, Ironside's character chooses to eschew forgiveness and take a hollow and pointless revenge upon her killer, learning nothing from his experiences and being stuck two steps back from where he starts out at the beginning of the film.
Despite some trite plot elements as to be expected of action films of the period, it's a decent enough way to waste 90 minutes.

Hawkmumbler

Speaking of post apocalyptic trash, a friends pulled me into watching the live action Fist of the North Star. Pray for me people.

I'll just pretend im watching Beyond Thunderdome. :-X

Professor Bear

I love Gary Daniels and he's a national treasure, but the lad can't act and he has the charisma of a fencepost.  If that's not a deterrent and you like western chop-sockies, FotNS is okay.

Goaty

Quote from: Kennari Bjarndýr on 19 June, 2014, 04:25:37 PM
I love Gary Daniels and he's a national treasure, but the lad can't act and he has the charisma of a fencepost.  If that's not a deterrent and you like western chop-sockies, FotNS is okay.

mogzilla

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 19 June, 2014, 11:37:55 AM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 19 June, 2014, 08:33:39 AM
Congrats Thryllseeker that's the most overtly sexist review of Thelma and Louise I've EVER seen. Do you get... a prize?

Geez, I thought I was giving my in depth analysis of that film, while being infatuated with young and not so young Susan Sarandon.

Yes, I did go a little overboard about there, didn't I. Though that film doesn't bother me. Because I am a guy is supposed to think he's a loser after watching it.

Yet, maybe I'm not being sexist or I am and I'm just being like every other typical male who watches that movie.

Didn't anybody like comparison between that film and the sci-fi one?

I will discuss that film more and in a less sexist manner (But no so un sexist that as to defy belief.) some other time.

they did that car flying thing  at the end of grease( oh,for an rpg!...maybe they could swap endings with a bit of editing and have john Travolta fly off the cliff and sue and geena fly off !
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Recrewt

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 19 June, 2014, 04:22:16 PM
Speaking of post apocalyptic trash, a friends pulled me into watching the live action Fist of the North Star. Pray for me people.

If you are in any way a fan of the manga then you will definitely come away unimpressed.  Otherwise its just another mid 90s post-apocalyptic movie which looks like a scrapyard in the desert.

Professor Bear

I gather a lot of people were unimpressed by the way the American movie didn't capture the storytelling subtext and nuance or the personality of the characters from the Japanese versions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9jbI6Xab_w

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 19 June, 2014, 04:22:16 PM

It was terrible and the small-time actor/martial-artist doesn't didn't look like him at all.

The exploding heads were interesting though.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 June, 2014, 02:07:16 PM
Sorry, but I've been feeling different lately and more alive than I have in years. Despite my age.

It's Slough Feg all over again!   :o

:-* :-* :-* :-*

You should know, I'm not that old.

No one in my family is.

Hawkmumbler

A few minuets in. Ken's death blow has been reduced to one of the most poorly choreographed pieces of action i've ever seen. And frankly, it's the only way it could have been done.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: mogzilla on 19 June, 2014, 04:33:51 PM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 19 June, 2014, 11:37:55 AM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 19 June, 2014, 08:33:39 AM
Congrats Thryllseeker that's the most overtly sexist review of Thelma and Louise I've EVER seen. Do you get... a prize?

Geez, I thought I was giving my in depth analysis of that film, while being infatuated with young and not so young Susan Sarandon.

Yes, I did go a little overboard about there, didn't I. Though that film doesn't bother me. Because I am a guy is supposed to think he's a loser after watching it.

Yet, maybe I'm not being sexist or I am and I'm just being like every other typical male who watches that movie.

Didn't anybody like comparison between that film and the sci-fi one?

I will discuss that film more and in a less sexist manner (But no so un sexist that as to defy belief.) some other time.

they did that car flying thing  at the end of grease( oh,for an rpg!...maybe they could swap endings with a bit of editing and have john Travolta fly off the cliff and sue and geena fly off !

The flying car thing has also been used in.....

Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang

The Wonder Bug (From The Kroff-Super-Show....Which, I think it was presented by a British pop-band?)

Roads.....Where We're Going....We Don't Need Roads

Both Old &  New Flubber Movies

Harry Potter

I think that would cover most of them. (Let me know if I missed one or two...)

Some of those would make for hilarious cross-overs with that woman's film.