Main Menu

Altered Carbon cancelled by Netflix.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 27 August, 2020, 03:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

After two seasons? Odd. Usually, it's three and out for Netflix. I imagine they're being a bit more brutal right now, because $$$.

Tomwe

I watched and loved S1 recently but didn't dive straight into S2. It will be a shame if the larger arc doesn't get finished.

Trooper McFad

That's a pity I enjoyed both seasons - still to watch the animated spin off though
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

broodblik

Maybe they did the same calculation I did, the first season was super awesome, the second season was just awesome and the third will only be good and so forth........

Actually for my this is a great pity and then you have bore-fests like Grey's Anatomy running for billions of seasons

At least I bought all the books on a special
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

It cost $7m per episode and only 40% of people who started watching it persevered to the end of the first series.

https://www.newsweek.com/altered-carbon-netflix-canceled-season-2-1527963

Funt Solo

This is one where I preferred the book. I didn't think the alt-history flashbacks added to the story.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Robin Low

Quote from: Funt Solo on 27 August, 2020, 05:43:45 PM
This is one where I preferred the book. I didn't think the alt-history flashbacks added to the story.

A big fan of the books, I watched the first series and was somewhat disappointed and didn't care much for the changes. I had the chance to binge watch the second and enjoyed it a whole lot more. One change in the first season that didn't bother me was the Poe AI, and I thought his story arc was the stand out part of season 2. For that if nothing else, I'm sorry to read of the cancellation.

Regards,

Robin

Dandontdare

Starting a new open-ended show is daunting, but now I know its only 2 I may bump this up my maybe-watch list. Without spoilers, are dangling plots tied up sufficiently for it to work and not be really frustrating?

Robin Low

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 August, 2020, 10:35:54 PM
Starting a new open-ended show is daunting, but now I know its only 2 I may bump this up my maybe-watch list. Without spoilers, are dangling plots tied up sufficiently for it to work and not be really frustrating?

Let's put it this way, it has an end obviously intended to be taken forward, but it doesn't need to be. Based on the second series I'm sad there won't be more, but I'm not frustrated that there won't be. Due to the premise of the series, it's also set up so that the central character can be played by a different actor, which inevitably leads (I think) to self-contained stories.

I'd recommend the books over the series, but it's still more interesting than a lot of TV SF.

Regards,

Robin

The Enigmatic Dr X

This is a pity. It is the most Toothy concept you'll ever see in modern telly: high-tech psycho killers beam into clone bodies to wreck havoc.

I think this decision is down to budget v audience.

Netflix can analyse that to the second; they know when you stop watching.

As an aside, I disapprove of the move to animation for sci-fi.
Lock up your spoons!

Bolt-01

Ah that's a shame. I read the first book and really enjoyed it and really enjoyed the look and feel of the show, too. The second season didn't work for me quite so well, but It was still very enjoyable.

wedgeski

I'm a bit bummed by this, having enjoyed both seasons, but by god this show looked expensive.