Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 14 October, 2020, 06:32:32 PM
Quote from: CalHab on 14 October, 2020, 03:57:43 PM
Scotland is now recording the highest ever polling levels in favour of independence. Once the reality of Brexit is apparent on the ground then I'd expect these levels to rise again. The UK appears to be in its dying days:
https://news.stv.tv/politics/poll-support-for-independence-hits-historic-high-of-58?top

Aye. Putin will be rewarding his cyber Psyops team for a job well done.

Another country (re)joining the EU is hardly a win for Russia.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

The UK fracturing isn't a win for Russia?

Where I would argue is the idea of it being entirely Putin's doing and not just the inevitable consequence of Tory greed and incompetence abetted by client journalists looking out for their own class interests.  We didn't need Putin to get here, but I imagine he'll take the win.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Professor Bear on 14 October, 2020, 08:33:45 PM
The UK fracturing isn't a win for Russia?

Where I would argue is the idea of it being entirely Putin's doing and not just the inevitable consequence of Tory greed and incompetence abetted by client journalists looking out for their own class interests.  We didn't need Putin to get here, but I imagine he'll take the win.

Fair enough.  I was more thinking about the EU than the UK - I may be wrong but the way I understood it, Putin was hoping that Brexit would lead to a chain reaction of EU exits and thus, of course, a weaker EU.  Obviously this hasn't happened; and I thought that more countries joining the EU would be at least a small blow to Uncle Vlad even if they do have to leave the UK to do it; given that Britain is going to matter less as a political entity when all is done and dusted.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sintec

Putin is also hoping to preserve the money laundering route used by his cronies through London's banks. Inside the EU there was going to be increasing pressure on our government to do something about that. Outside the EU we'll be free to continue and probably even ramp it up. Boris and co certainly aren't going to do anything to stem the tide, most of them have their fingers deep in the pie after all. I'm not convinced Starmer will fight it much either sadly meaning there's no meaningful political opposition on that issue at the moment.

Professor Bear

Johnson pushing through fascist legislation to allow the murder of political opponents bodes well for the future.  Ah well, I'm sure the unelected Lords will fix it, not like we even need an opposition anymore.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Professor Bear on 15 October, 2020, 08:21:03 PM
Johnson pushing through fascist legislation to allow the murder of political opponents bodes well for the future.

This is going to be one of those stories I can't find on the BBC. G'arn, give us a clue.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Professor Bear

Inform yourself or the fascists win.

Funt Solo

It was a joke, then?

I think we're destined to always pass like ships in the night.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

maryanddavid

Angry Vince

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 October, 2020, 11:24:11 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 15 October, 2020, 11:06:46 PM
It was a joke, then?

No.

So this new law is called "CHIS"? A bunch of clenched dicks running around, so that makes sense...
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 October, 2020, 02:59:49 PM
Thanks, Jim. That was helpful.

Excellent. It was meant to be, and my apologies because the response is a bit, umm... brusque.*

*Some might say "rude", but I'm sticking with brusque, which is a nicer way of saying the same thing.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

So Farage said something nice today.  Even a racist, hypocritical, snide, frog-faced stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-free-school-meals-tories-labour-snp-marcus-rashford-b1220911.html

IndigoPrime

He's a smarter nationalist wanker than the nationalist wankers in government. Like Piers Morgan, he understands the right side of a populist fight to be on, at least most of the time, whereas Johnson and co. appear to think the smart move is to constantly be putting up a fight, because it makes them look tough and keeps their opponents off guard. That is pure Cummings. The snag is Cummings just isn't that smart. He's good at winning elections and shit at everything else. Hence why we still have a government that is campaigning and not governing.

Wankers, all of them. (Possibly 'less of a wanker' label for the five Tories who showed a bit of backbone and voted against this shit.)