Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Pence women (that was the search term I used).  Just in case you still have any faith left in humanity.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 12 November, 2020, 05:17:44 PM
Pence women (that was the search term I used).  Just in case you still have any faith left in humanity.

Nahhh. Brexit, Trump and almost half of America still wanting Trump has helped me clear that hurdle. Thanks for the link though, I'll read it (and weep) properly later.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

This takes a bit of mental hop-scotch, but there are some relatively innocent reasons a lot of people gave for voting Trump. There's a danger of tribalism, of course, if all Republicans are somehow beneath contempt (almost half the people in the nation) and all Democrats are somehow superior.

Reasons to vote for Trump (you can decide for yourself which are relatively innocent):
- Desire to ban abortion
- Desire to firmly control immigration
- Desire to subjugate non-whites
- Desire to punish Cuba
- Personal economic improvement during his presidency
- Fear of civil unrest (regardless of the cause)
- Fear of Islam
- Desire for binary gender specifications
- Force of habit
- You've fallen for Qanon, so Trump is your savior
- The right to bear arms, including semi-automatic rifles
- Huntin', shootin', fishin' & flatin' (although this could also be a Dem)
- You believe he will reduce federal oversight
- You're one of those gun-toting Boogaloo whack-jobs
- You're one of those Proud Boy neo-Nazi whack-jobs
- You're a misogynist

Boy, it's difficult, but I like to think that a lot of them are some of the more innocent reasons. Makes me sleep easier.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I just really, really hope it's number 5 for most people, despite the face that the economic upturn started under Obama.  Not saying it's ideal to reward a vindictive psychopath because of a few extra dollars in your pocket, but it's the one that makes me feel most comfortable.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

There's a reason more college-educated folk vote Dem, and it's because they know how to think through a problem (like that it takes time to see the results of economic management changes).

I'm willing to guess that there aren't many particle physicists in the Qanon camp.

Having said that, there are loads of highly educated people that purport to believe in deities regardless of the lack of any evidence whatsoever, so who knows?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteHaving said that, there are loads of highly educated people that purport to believe in deities regardless of the lack of any evidence whatsoever, so who knows?

It's an odd one alright.  I barely know my uncle, but he's a very highly-educated Catholic priest (from the English side of the family, perhaps surprisingly).  I know he's had doubts, but faith seems to win the battle of his mind every time.

Also, top marks to you for referencing that Rees-Mogg-with-a-mohawk Dredd story set in Alabammy.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 November, 2020, 02:15:01 AM
Ah, Dominic Cummings is out, it seems.  :D

Far too late. He has caused untold damage, particularly around COVID. Good riddance, but I wish they had booted him the minute the Barnard Castle fiasco happened. Could have saved so many lives.

shaolin_monkey

Although they couldn't have sacked him over the Barnard Castle bollocks anyway, because he was there doing the governments work, sorting out a contract with GlaxoSmithKline. The whole 'childcare' thing was a bloody smokescreen. Lying, devious fuckers, the lot of them.

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 13 November, 2020, 07:52:47 AM
Although they couldn't have sacked him over the Barnard Castle bollocks anyway, because he was there doing the governments work, sorting out a contract with GlaxoSmithKline. The whole 'childcare' thing was a bloody smokescreen. Lying, devious fuckers, the lot of them.

Yeah, it's looking like his sexual harassment of a female adviser is what actually gave him the push.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

America's top military officer says "We do not take an oath to a king"
QuoteAmerica's top military officer has spoken at a Veteran's Day event in the midst of a chaotic week at the Pentagon and said, 'we do not take an oath to a king or a queen, a tyrant or a dictator. We do not take an oath to an individual.' General Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said 'each of us will protect and defend that document regardless of personal price'.

US election security officials reject Trump's fraud claims
Quote"While we know there are many unfounded claims and opportunities for misinformation about the process of our elections, we can assure you we have the utmost confidence in the security and integrity of our elections, and you should too," it added, without naming Mr Trump directly.

I only ever read the first Harry Potter book. I remember thinking the characters were all being tad melodramatic. All that silliness about not invoking Voldemort's name, lest it empowers him to return.

I think I get it now.

In another news, when Trump declared "Stop the Count!", some of his supporters misinterpreted and thought they could claim a bounty. They were heard asking "Can you tell me how to get...how to get to Sesame Street?"
You may quote me on that.

IndigoPrime

"America's top military official, who had no trouble traipsing across the White House lawn next to Trump, while he was prepping gassing protesters to clear an area for a photo op, nicely highlights US exceptionalism by inferring the USA is unique in its army not declaring allegiance to an individual"

As for melodrama, every day this goes on, it casts more doubt on those results in the mind of his base. This is going to be a turbulent four years, and the Democrats need to start planning how to counter this in 2024, rather than making the same mistakes they keep making.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteIn another news, when Trump declared "Stop the Count"

I've been saying something a bit like that for the last four years, give or take a vowel.

JayzusB.Christ

I know it's a week ago now, but imagine what an absolute mindfuck this must be, coming from your own townspeople.  Especially when you're under the impression that everyone thinks you're some kind of Christlike figure.  I suspect he'll be spending a lot more time in the South in future.

https://www.usnews.com/news/cities/articles/2020-11-13/donald-trump-raised-and-rejected-by-new-york-city

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.