Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Tankie

No, Jim I am not trolling.  I just needed the context to be explained to me in a reasonable manner, which you have now done.i

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Flagrant dishonesty isn't exclusively a Tory character flaw, but deploying it against Corbyn is only going to make him stronger.

Professor Bear

It comes to something when asking for due process and not executing people without trial is seen as political extremism.

Old Tankie

I thought the most interesting thing about the speech was the audience, people of all races and religions. You wouldn't have seen that a few years ago. I thought it was brilliant.

Grugz

Of course bin laden shouldn't have had a fair trial,he was a terrorist and for one ,I believe any one who commits acts of terror have willingly given up their "right" to be treated fairly as I believe that anyone from this country (or any other) has given up their nationality and rights when they travel abroad to be part of ISIS. They are fair game and should be shot accordingly.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

NapalmKev

Quote from: Grugz on 07 October, 2015, 04:11:19 PM
Of course bin laden shouldn't have had a fair trial,he was a terrorist and for one ,I believe any one who commits acts of terror have willingly given up their "right" to be treated fairly as I believe that anyone from this country (or any other) has given up their nationality and rights when they travel abroad to be part of ISIS. They are fair game and should be shot accordingly.

Surely any person is entitled to fair trial, otherwise it wouldn't be fair.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Old Tankie

Now that's trolling by NapaimKev!

Jim_Campbell

One of the key ways to defeat terrorism is to not be terrorised. If you abandon the principles for which you are supposed to be fighting, what's the point? You've become your enemy, and you've lost. This isn't about them and what they've done, it's about us and what we do.

Also: governments of all political stripes are becoming increasingly keen to slap 'terrorist' as a label on all sorts of domestic political direct action, so the idea that a government can summarily execute you simply by declaring you a terrorist (as is already happening to British and US citizens overseas) should be fundamentally resisted.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Old Tankie

Sorry, I thought it must have been a windup. So can the state shoot anybody under any circumstances or not? The soldiers who went in wouldn't have known whether the nutter was armed or not.

Grugz

Al Qaeda and ISIS (isil...whatever) are hardly domestic political whatnots,and not challenging them head on is surely what has made them stronger? All the muslim countries horrified by their warped take on islam haven't exactly been pro active as far as I know . Iraq seemed to either drop their weapons and ran away or I assume many joined them ,I don't think that inviting them or whoevers in charge of bin ladens lot now would really be open to our having them round for a cuppa and talking it through, they want us dead. end of. I don't see how and why we would want to not wipe the buggers out ,its natural to want to defend our borders and homes from nutters wether they were from a legitimate nation (Nazi Germany) or the nut jobs in what used to be Syria and Iraq. We'll only lose if we allow those groups to roam unchecked.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

Grugz

Quote from: Old Tankie on 07 October, 2015, 04:30:14 PM
Sorry, I thought it must have been a windup. So can the state shoot anybody under any circumstances or not? The soldiers who went in wouldn't have known whether the nutter was armed or not.

well,if the reports of all the dirty mags he had are true he certainly would have had a hand on his weapon, the dirty boy! ;)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Grugz on 07 October, 2015, 04:32:04 PM
I don't think that inviting them or whoevers in charge of bin ladens lot now would really be open to our having them round for a cuppa and talking it through, they want us dead. end of.

You really don't read anything anyone else writes, do you? I'm not sure how you go from "we shouldn't abandon the values we claim to be defending" to "inviting Al-Qaeda round for a cup of tea" — either you didn't read what I wrote, or you didn't understand it. Please try harder.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Old Tankie

Dandontdare

Quote from: Old Tankie on 07 October, 2015, 03:54:42 PM
I thought the most interesting thing about the speech was the audience, people of all races and religions. You wouldn't have seen that a few years ago. I thought it was brilliant.

yeah, what a spontaneous and representative turn out that must have been, I'm sure their front row invitations had nothing to do with any kind of stage-management: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/06/female-mps-complain-of-being-camerons-conference-arm-candy

That's just mindless beyond belief. How can you stand for the rule of law and society and then conduct policy via assassination? But I can see where you're coming from - maybe we should just murder all the politicians and generals who started this war, and the drone-operators who've just blown up a Medecins-sans-frontieres hospital - we don't need any inquiries or court martial, let's just drag them out of their offices and shoot them.