Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I don't think anyone sensible considers Sterling a reserve currency now.

The Legendary Shark

Who said the IMF was sensible?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Stumbled across this image and thought some of you might enjoy it  :D

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 October, 2016, 01:38:10 PM
I don't think anyone sensible considers Sterling a currency now.

FTFY

Tjm86

Quote from: sheridan on 03 October, 2016, 12:41:12 PM
Deserting our closest allies and making new alliances with people who are a) only in it for themselves and b) are ideologically opposed to our way of life.  What could possibly go wrong?

Hey, it worked out in the 1940's didn't it?

Oh .... sorry!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Modern Panther on 03 October, 2016, 08:31:01 AM
Quoteyou'd almost think commies were building a nuclear bomb inside our borders or something

I'm sorry, I'm a bit slow and only just got this.

Oh my God, what are we doing?!

Sorry, I'm either a bit thick or have missed some major news.  Probably both.  Can you explain this to me?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 October, 2016, 09:53:51 PM
Quote from: Modern Panther on 03 October, 2016, 08:31:01 AM
Quoteyou'd almost think commies were building a nuclear bomb inside our borders or something

I'm sorry, I'm a bit slow and only just got this.

Oh my God, what are we doing?!

Sorry, I'm either a bit thick or have missed some major news.  Probably both.  Can you explain this to me?

Our government seems too want to get out of partnerships which were formed (partially) to prevent repeats of the two world wars, and instead get in bed with communist China and let them play around with nuclear power within our borders.  What could possibly go wrong?

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks for explaining!
But Jesus wept... is this really independence from an undemocratic bureaucracy?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Modern Panther

Of course!  We have a healthy democracy, with a capable opposition.  We have a prime minister who was fairly voted into power.  We no longer have any say in EU trading regulations, which we're still going to have to meet.  We've got rid of those dastardly foreigners who form the basis of our taxation system.  Our currency is so strong, our government has abandoned any hope of digging us out of the hole they started digging eight years ago.  And now, we don't have to worry about being accused of war crimes. 

Britain Prevails.

IndigoPrime

We've gone from worrying to terrifying. Every mask has slipped from these Conservatives. Given the announcements we're getting, I'm confident the NHS will begin to exist only as a brand for private corporations before the end of the next Conservative majority (which won't be in the manifesto, but will happen regardless, in the name of viability).

And Sterling at $1.27. How much lower can it go? How much longer will Leave people be bullish about the FTSE 100, given that its rise is an indicator of Sterling's weakness, not Britain's strength? GAH. This stuff isn't difficult. Sterling being this weak affects pretty much everyone negatively. Fuel goes up. Power goes up. Imports go up. Even exports based on imported material don't benefit. And soon we'll find our exports to the EU sitting waiting for inspection for days or more. 'Just in time' will no longer exist for British companies, who will have to write off grind, delays, storage and waste. Manufacturing and the city will become uncompetitive as the EU states pick over the UK's corpse.

Still, we'll probably get a trade deal with Australia (pop: 23 million vs the EU 27's 679 million), so THAT'S ALL JUST FINE.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 October, 2016, 09:34:09 AM
We've gone from worrying to terrifying. Every mask has slipped from these Conservatives.

I suspect when 'hard brexit' flatlines the economy, we'll be treated to Austerity 2, every bit as harsh as Gideon's version but with the added tagline "Well, you voted for it..."

I think the Tories sniff an opportunity to roll back half a century of progressive/liberal advancement under the cover of an economic crash, and are positively rubbing their hands with glee. Remember that Thatcher believed that mass unemployment and the decimation of British heavy industry was a price worth paying for decimating the unions, so this is pretty much the standard MO for Conservative governments.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Irish (tendance Republique) mate of mine working in a British university received a form-letter from admin saying the university would make 'every effort' to protect the residency of EU staff.  Very reassuring thing to get from your employer, I'm sure.

IndigoPrime

I recall Irish people being interviewed about Brexit, voting in favour, seemingly entirely oblivious to the fact they are EU nationals. It was mind-boggling. (And, yes, I know about the CTA, but that may not survive, at which point we'll have a rather large number of Irish nationals startled that they have to apply for residency, and a hard border in Ireland — a clusterfuck of truly epic proportions.)

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 October, 2016, 11:08:23 AM
I recall Irish people being interviewed about Brexit, voting in favour...

Nobody hates immigrants quite like emigrants do.

IndigoPrime

One, without irony, started bitching about "all those immigrants coming over here to take our jobs". You. Are. An. Immigrant. ARGH.

I hope whatever we salvage from this mess retains at least some freedom of movement within the EU or, failing that, a full, irreversible residency status for existing residents. I just see this government right now thinking it can blaze full steam ahead into some kind of arch-Tory nirvana though, so am losing hope.