Main Menu

Prog 2133 - School of Hard Knocks

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 27 May, 2019, 10:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 May, 2019, 01:03:08 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 30 May, 2019, 12:54:34 PM
Having said that I did think universal acclaim was over stating it just a bit.

Fictional alien editor with long historical precedent for egotism and hyperbole fails to make measured assessment of the popularity of something 'he' published when discussing it in the pages of that same publication. What a shock.

You saying Tharg has fallen to the same depths as the Express or the Mail?

That there is fightin' talk!  (or feudin', or flatin')

Frank

Quote from: norton canes on 30 May, 2019, 10:01:38 AM
Interesting cover. Great work by Neil Roberts but I wonder why they didn't give the whole thing to Siku?

Tharg seems to prefer a more rendered style for covers, although Siku's obviously capable of employing different styles. Just to echo the general sentiment, it was great to see his art again.

Disappointed to see Tharg blow all the hard work he put into attracting younger readers by casting a member of One-D as a bad guy:

And did the dude from episode 1 who looks like Chief Judge Volt find time for a ginger rinse while Dredd was negotiating with Spode, or is that just a hot look in MC1 again?

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 May, 2019, 10:20:21 AM
Quote from: norton canes on 30 May, 2019, 10:03:39 AM
Interesting that Tharg claims the Regened prog was met with 'universal' acclaim (quoting from memory, I don't have the prog in front of me) - it was very much a mixed reaction in the prog 2130 thread here.

There are maybe a dozen people who regularly post to this forum... it's not a statistical sample.

It had a mixed reception on some of the Facebook groups as well. Again not necessarily statistically valid (and potentially it is some of the same people posting). Having said that I did think universal acclaim was over stating it just a bit.

The word used was unanimous(ly) - and the get-out* could be that while the reception here and on facebook may have been mixed, if everybody who bothered to write in to Riverside House or input@2000adonline.com was appreciative then green-bonce can declare Joko's work a success...

* not that egotistical green editors need a get-out...

Tomwe

Anyone else still waiting on their prog? :(

Fungus

Fictional alien editor with long historical precedent for egotism and hyperbole fails to make measured assessment of the popularity of something 'he' published when discussing it in the pages of that same publication. What a shock.

Exactly  :-X

TordelBack

Neat little Dredd that, sharp thoughtful story and really good to see Siku's strong shapes again. More of this sort of thing, please.

3riller was a genuinely interesting idea, well explored over three parts, but does it have anywhere else to go? Do these things have to? If not, two thumbs up!

Scarlet Traces does an excellent job of pulling its many long threads together, against a haunting backdrop.
There's always a risk that I'll enjoy basically anything M'Israeli draws, so the story is almost irrelevant, but here both pictures and words are equally compelling.

Kingmaker, ehhhhn, I dunno. I think I now enjoy this week to week more than I do as a whole. Storytelling seemed confusing this time, and in common with many of my theatre-going experiences there appeared to be a ruddy great pillar blocking the action. Don't recall booking the cheap seats, but then I never do. It remains a good read, though.

Max Normal continues to impress, not least in how well it keeps a fairly slight premise twisting and turning in a consistently entertaining way. Skillful and fascinating.

Tharg can big-up a product as solid as Regened any day of the week. I want to see lots more like it.

norton canes

One thing I did mean to mention was the frequent use of digital blurring by Leigh Gallagher in Kingmaker. I know he's trying to convey motion or depth of field but I just want to see the quality of the line work, damn it! 

Magnetica

Quote from: Fungus on 31 May, 2019, 10:22:08 AM

Exactly  :-X

Can I just point out that I wasn't the one who first brought it up on this thread; I was just agreeing with the original poster.

Woolly

Quote from: norton canes on 31 May, 2019, 04:29:54 PM
One thing I did mean to mention was the frequent use of digital blurring by Leigh Gallagher in Kingmaker. I know he's trying to convey motion or depth of field but I just want to see the quality of the line work, damn it!

This is something that really does my head in. Blurring linework just looks *awful* - please stop doing it, art-droids!

Judge Olde

I use to really dislike Siku's art, but I've enjoyed this two prog run. Wouldn't mind seeing him back soon for some more :)