Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: dracula1 on 29 September, 2012, 03:14:55 PM
Thanks for the calculations guys. Bloody ell' those figures really put it into perspective! Was the economy a bit more buoyant when District came out?!

Hehheh. Bloody bankers can add killing Dredd 2 to their list of crimes.

Possibly.  ;)

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Something Fishy on 29 September, 2012, 01:13:59 PM
Looper did well. 15 rating helps a lot with sci fi.  The 18 rating and 3d bumping the price and limiting the audience during poor economic times feel like they've made it a massive missed opportunity to me.

Since that article is about the US box office, just pointing out Looper and Dredd have the same R rating over here.

Cookyman

Um guys?

Dredd has been estimated to be at number 9 this weekend will make roughly - $2,200,000

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/early_estimate/2012-09-29
Choc chip goodness.

Bat King

Tempted to go again today or tomorrow. Love the film.

Looks bad for any hope of a sequel. But if I win squillions on Euromillions I will bung £50mil at it. 50% of my total win if I get over £100mil.

I'd want Alex, Karl Olivia, etc.

Other than that, I will obviously buy blu-Ray soon as it is out.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Cookyman on 29 September, 2012, 06:11:35 PM
Um guys?

Dredd has been estimated to be at number 9 this weekend will make roughly - $2,200,000

That's a weekend guess.

Cookyman

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 September, 2012, 06:20:47 PM
Um guys?

That's a weekend guess.

I'm aware of that.  it was posted earlier it's out of the top ten.  It's still not great but better than was reported previously on here.
Choc chip goodness.

Toni Scandella

It's still a great film no matter how many people saw it. I think it will make its money back - and probably make a profit - on DVD / Blu ray. We still have a great Dredd movie, with good reviews and all that stuff, which isn't something we'd have predicted a few years ago.  Damn shame if we don't get a sequel but at least we have something awesome to watch.

DVD in time for Christmas?

radiator

QuoteDVD in time for Christmas?

IIRC someone said that Dredd will only be out on DVD before Christmas 'if it tanks in America'...

CraveNoir

I'm aware of that.  it was posted earlier its out of the top ten.  its still not great but better than was reported previously on here.

No. its estimated to be at number 11 for the weekend on that page.
Limited releases Pitch Perfect and The Master are both expected to make more.

judge devs

Quote from: Bat King on 29 September, 2012, 06:15:46 PM
Tempted to go again today or tomorrow. Love the film.

Looks bad for any hope of a sequel. But if I win squillions on Euromillions I will bung £50mil at it. 50% of my total win if I get over £100mil.

Well if you believe what Alex Garland and Pete Travis said if they got a sequel at most they would want maybe another $10M above what they got for the first one and maybe not even that. So lets call it $55M, given exhange rates you'd only need about £35M, so you don't need such a huge Euromillions pay out.

You might need to chuck  so extra sponds at the marketing though.

I've spent a lot of time working this out  ;)

I've also been trying to second guess how much a TV show would cost to produce. I'm guessing $2-$3M per episode. I think Battlestar Galacticas budget was around $1.5M per episode but of course I'd want to make it totally awesomesauce and bollocks to the cost. This after all what Lottery fantasys are about right?

Stan

Quote from: radiator on 29 September, 2012, 06:33:23 PM
QuoteDVD in time for Christmas?

IIRC someone said that Dredd will only be out on DVD before Christmas 'if it tanks in America'...
So before Christmas then.

Which is good. The sooner people buy a shitload of DVDs, the sooner Chuck Sixpackman gets his sequel.

Something Fishy

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 29 September, 2012, 06:10:39 PM
Quote from: Something Fishy on 29 September, 2012, 01:13:59 PM
Looper did well. 15 rating helps a lot with sci fi.  The 18 rating and 3d bumping the price and limiting the audience during poor economic times feel like they've made it a massive missed opportunity to me.

Since that article is about the US box office, just pointing out Looper and Dredd have the same R rating over here.

Ah ok, that's a fair point.

I don't know then,  2d and make Bruce Willis Dredd next time?

Toni Scandella

I know what everyone I know is getting for Christmas, then.

GordonR

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 September, 2012, 05:35:37 PM

Strange how all those Case-Files sold out in the US.

An oft-quoted fact here that - unless you know how many were in the print run that was sold out - really means nothing at all.

Stan

True. Though even in the UK I've noticed some of the early books (Case Files) are trickier to get and there's been some doubling up on others. After all those months struggling to find Origins there ended up being two on the shelf when I got my final one.