Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

I'm sure this is just a coincidence but in the US Rico stands for the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act of 1970 but it does seem apt

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 January, 2024, 12:06:50 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 22 January, 2024, 09:35:21 AMUnless Rico is short for Richard?

Short for Enrico... a nod to the Dredd family's hispanic heritage. (Runs for cover.)

Well, one of Dredd's real dads was from Barcelona.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

GordonR

Joe and Rico are the hero and villain characters in the Action strip Death Game 1999. Pat Mills just recycled the names.

Barrington Boots

Succinctly cleared up! I had no idea about that.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

A.Cow

It certainly took a few months before Wagner used the name "Joe" in his stories.  After Return of Rico (prog 30), the next instance of "Joe" appears to be The Oxygen Desert (prog 49).

In between, he's just known as "Judge Dredd" ... including a tombstone and a Christmas present "from D." to Walter, which are both ideal opportunities to show a full name.  My guess is that the names were created by Pat for the Rico story, not before, and that John then went along with this later.

A.Cow

Quote from: GordonR on 22 January, 2024, 02:55:08 PMJoe and Rico are the hero and villain characters in the Action strip Death Game 1999. Pat Mills just recycled the names.
Good spot!  Full marks, that chap.

Blue Cactus

The name Rico has always (well, often) made me think of Captain Ric, the gun-toting spaceman mascot of the breakfast cereal Ricicles. You're welcome for this insightful post.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 22 January, 2024, 06:09:52 PMThe name Rico has always (well, often) made me think of Captain Ric, the gun-toting spaceman mascot of the breakfast cereal Ricicles. You're welcome for this insightful post.

Helmet, visor, big boots, gauntlets. It can't be a coincidence.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Blue Cactus

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 January, 2024, 07:57:03 PM
Quote from: Blue Cactus on 22 January, 2024, 06:09:52 PMThe name Rico has always (well, often) made me think of Captain Ric, the gun-toting spaceman mascot of the breakfast cereal Ricicles. You're welcome for this insightful post.

Helmet, visor, big boots, gauntlets. It can't be a coincidence.

We need a crossover!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Dredd and Milk.

"Any sugar in that crud, Creep?"

"Er..."

"Ten years. Take him away."

End of crossover.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Blue Cactus

I, Cosh

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 22 January, 2024, 09:35:21 AM...I've always found it odd that Joe has an 'everyman' name and Rico has an 'exotic tough guy' name when they're clone twins. Unless Rico is short for Richard?
Just like those other famous crime-fighting brothers Charlie and Emilio.
We never really die.

GordonR

Quote from: I, Cosh on 24 January, 2024, 10:39:35 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 22 January, 2024, 09:35:21 AM...I've always found it odd that Joe has an 'everyman' name and Rico has an 'exotic tough guy' name when they're clone twins. Unless Rico is short for Richard?
Just like those other famous crime-fighting brothers Charlie and Emilio.

Charlie's real name is Carlos. Carlos and Emilio's father's real name isn't Martin, but Ramon.

Would you be shocked to hear the real family name is Etevez, not Sheen?

I, Cosh

Quote from: GordonR on 24 January, 2024, 11:24:54 PMWould you be shocked to hear the real family name is Etevez, not Sheen?
No.
We never really die.