Main Menu

Name a good comic adaption of a movie?

Started by Tiplodocus, 27 February, 2012, 01:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 27 February, 2012, 10:45:08 PM
The original Star Wars adaptation left  Stevie  cold because the  art just couldn't compare with what he was seeing in the Prog.

The original Howard Chaykin Star Wars adaptation is a work of beautiful genius. So much of that is where my brain automatically goes when I'm forced to recall a bit of the film, and doubly so because my friend and I used it as the script when we 'dramatised' the whole of the film onto audio cassette in about 1980.

Especially magnificent is the panel in which Vader uses the force to cause a steaming cup of coffee to float across the room into his outstretched hand, while Tarkin and his cronies are waffling on about Battle Stations.

But as far as other adaptations go, I'd single out ALIEN and the oft-overlooked full colour Clash of the Titans Look-In graphic novel.

SBT

Trout

I've heard many good things about Wagner and Kennedy's work on Boba Fett, although I've never read it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

- Trout

Emperor

Quote from: King Trout on 28 February, 2012, 05:40:11 PM
I've heard many good things about Wagner and Kennedy's work on Boba Fett, although I've never read it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Yep, details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wagner_bibliography#Dark_Horse_Comics

Buying links:
www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Death-Treachery-Unnumbered/dp/1569713111/
www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Enemy-Empire-Unnumbered/dp/156971407X/
www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Boba-Fett-Mission/dp/1845764641/

"Enemy of the Empire", "Sacrifice", Salvage" and "Death Lies and Treachery" are all collected in Star Wars Omnibus 12:
http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=194994

Which looks cheaper than buying the individual instalments:
www.amazon.co.uk/Boba-Fett-Star-Wars-Omnibus/dp/1595824189/

Shadows of the Empire, also dealing with Fett, is collected in Omnibus 11:
www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Omnibus-Shadows-Empire/dp/1848565992/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Trout

WOW! You're quick! Big thanks, Emp. I'll take a proper look when the smallest screaming child is in bed.

Emperor

Quote from: King Trout on 28 February, 2012, 06:00:46 PM
WOW! You're quick! Big thanks, Emp. I'll take a proper look when the smallest screaming child is in bed.

It helps that I wrote that bit of the Wikipedia page, so already had most of the information to hand ;) the Omnibuses popped up when I was searching for the books.

Oddly I suspect people are less interested in his Xena work.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Spikes

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 February, 2012, 11:00:13 PM
The original Howard Chaykin Star Wars adaptation is a work of beautiful genius.

Yep, loved the first (American) issue where he inked his own pencils, i know some arent keen (scruffy is a word ive heard mentioned), but superb stuff. Some lucky devils over on the CAF site own a page or two from this, sigh.
Thought Dark Horses' Alien and Predator line started out fantastic, but very soon became so-so. Think Predator faired better out of the two.

SmallBlueThing

There were also some excellent dark horse mini series based on john carpenter's 'the thing'. The first one, especially, springs to mind with its beautiful john higgins covers.

I have no idea if they ever did an 'aliens vs predator vs the thing vs the terminator', but i bet they thought about it.

SBT

mogzilla

the judge dredd adaptation...bear with me, it had carlos' art in it  and fergie died.

SuperSurfer

Somewhere I should have the 'Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger' one shot which was available in the cinema when the film came out. Art by Ian Gibson.

Feel free to peruse the raunchy images at the top of the link – scroll down for Gibson pages.
http://dezskinn.com/warner-williams
or direct link to one of the pages:
http://dezskinn.com/files/2010/09/Sinbad-strip-page-1-100dpi.jpg

Emperor

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 28 February, 2012, 07:51:56 PM
Somewhere I should have the 'Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger' one shot which was available in the cinema when the film came out. Art by Ian Gibson.

Feel free to peruse the raunchy images at the top of the link – scroll down for Gibson pages.
http://dezskinn.com/warner-williams
or direct link to one of the pages:
http://dezskinn.com/files/2010/09/Sinbad-strip-page-1-100dpi.jpg

Nice, you can clearly see it is Gibson but it was a heavy... Redondo-esque inking to it, so I think Dez is right, it'd have been nice to see it in colour.

Mudcrab

Quote from: Emperor on 28 February, 2012, 05:58:23 PM

www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Enemy-Empire-Unnumbered/dp/156971407X/

I've got that one, probably the only thing like that I have, bought mostly because of Wagner/Gibson/Ezquerra. Seemed perfect, droids and a bounty hunter done by those 3? Splendid  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

I, Cosh

It would've been pretty smart if Moebius' concept work had turned into a full adaptation of Dune.
We never really die.

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Strontium Claw

Quote from: The Cosh on 28 February, 2012, 11:04:50 PM
It would've been pretty smart if Moebius' concept work had turned into a full adaptation of Dune.

Bill Sienkiewicz drew a cool looking adaptation of David Lynch's Dune for Marvel, it seemed to make more sense than the movie. :)

I remember buying two issues of Marvel UK's 'The Empire Strikes Back, Weekly' in a charity shop when I was 8 or 9 years old,
Al Williamson's art was stunning, I wish I still had them. Kirby's 2001 is brilliant, such a shame it's not been reprinted.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Strontium Claw on 29 February, 2012, 04:50:12 PM
[Kirby's 2001 is brilliant, such a shame it's not been reprinted.

Yeah I assume its for copyright reasons as everything else has been!