Main Menu

Death Squid - The Documentary

Started by Wils, 29 April, 2005, 02:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wils

"Lookin' at the telly listings for the night, ma squidy arm started tinglin'..."

Spotted this and thought it might be of interest to some of you. :)

Link: http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvp&id=169154311&cf=0&lineup=uk&channels=europe_ch5&chspid=166005005&chname=Channel+5&title=The+Truth+about+Killer+Squid&normalized=The+Truth+about+Killer+Squid&progutn=1114743600&.intl=uk" target="_blank">Giant....killer,,,,squids!

paulvonscott

The Amstor Computer

THE METAL MAFIA STRIKES!

Sam Slade - the best robo-hunter in the galaxy - is back in business, after a faster-than-light trip to the planet Verdus de-aged him back to his prime. But now he's facing his toughest case yet!

When Sam is hired by city councillor B.J. Armit, the case is strange from the start - Armit's a robot himself, and he wants to know where his real body is. Things then go from strange to deranged as Slade lands in jail and Armit is killed by an army of nine-inch-tall robots! But what's the connection to the "robot union" who want Sam out of business? And who the heck is Hoagy, the crazy robot who's apprenticed himself to the best robo-hunter in the business?

----------

Contents:

Day of the Droids
The Beast of Blackheart Manor

Cover gallery (progs 154, 162 and 261)

----------

This is a cracking presentation of these two classic early Robo-Hunter tales, and despite the occasional page that looks slightly less than pristine, it's a reprint that does justice to the source.

The inappropriate placeholder cover has been replaced with Ian Gibson's far more attractive - and relevant - cover to prog 864, and while it would have been preferable to see another Gibson pic here, it's a nice image.

Extras are - as usual - negligible, with only three (admittedly nicely-reproduced) covers at the back of the book. A single page at the beginning of the book reintroduces the reader to Sam & his world, which is welcome, even if it is just a slightly edited version of the summary of the character that appeared back in Prog 2001. More - and more *original* - extras would be very welcome - even something as simple as the story index that appears in the Modesty Blaise & Dan Dare collections would be appreciated, and should prove to be very simple to implement.

This is another fine book presenting a "classic-era" character, and I'm now more eager than ever to see the adventures of Sam Slade continue to their conclusion with "Farewell, My Billions". Roll on volume three!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/daydroids.jpg">

Carlsborg Expert

Ive always been concerned about this topic.

so if the vid rental for tonight doesn't go on too long....

:p

Byron Virgo

paulvonscott

Channel Squid!

Some interesting stuff, in amongst some oversentationalised material, and over the top americans.  The Brit woman and the scientist were good though.

I heard something which said they were one of the most prolific species in the seas.

Heh, I'll do more research for Death Squid in future I think, obviously it's based ona  true story, but this sort of spice can only make it more interesting,

paulvonscott

Channel Squid!

Some interesting stuff, in amongst some oversentationalised material, and over the top americans.  The Brit woman and the scientist were good though.

I heard something which said they were one of the most prolific species in the seas.

Heh, I'll do more research for Death Squid in future I think, obviously it's based on a true story, but this sort of spice can only make it more interesting...

Art

Humboldt squid aren't giant squid, they're the "jumbo squid" - a much smaller beast. Normally they live quite deep but just recently thousnads of them have been coming to the surface off the west coast of America.