Main Menu

Favourite free gift 2000ad or otherwise.

Started by Spikes, 01 August, 2011, 08:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Since the update last week my search option doesnt seem to work any more (anyone else have this problem?), so if this topic has already been posted and commented on in the past then apologies, but checking out the "first prog and why?" topic i was reminded of how id buy owt if it came with a free gift - i seem to remember buying the first issue of bullet(?) and that only came with a crappy little plastic ring, if memory serves. So i was wondering what peoples favourite free gift was for 2000ad and/or any other UK comic.
For non-2000ad, it has to be the hookjaw transfer that came with issue 2 of Action.I suspect, as was so often the case, a friend had bought the issue in question before me, and had already had his free gift emblazoned on a t-shirt and that would have sent me running to the nearest newsagent.
For 2000ad, i always had a soft spot for the Dredd badge that came with Prog 300. Think i bought at least 2 copies that week.

mogzilla

the little tin dredd badge was the best ! had that sellotaped to my cardigan for weeks!

Mangamax

Always think of them as being as a means of squirting folk:

or things to cause a racket:

or crappy "tin" medals to collect:

or "survival guides":

or, rather bizzarely, fashion accessories (this one i lost on the way to school and the 12 year-old me is still crying inside about it):

Which made the advent of the like of these:

a total breath of fresh air, akin to punk washing away the self-indulgent musical crap of the very same mid 70's stagnation.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

bluemeanie

fucking hell.. that pic of the tin medals gave me a punch in the chest style flashback!!

My fave ever freebie on a comic? There was this cardboard spy wallet I had with cards you slid in and stuff. Buggered if I can remember which comic it came with tho

The Legendary Shark

My favourite free gift of all time is life itself. Thanks, Mum!

Next has to be the plastic vampire teeth that came with one of the first three issues of Scream! I nearly gave my brother a fit of the heart-attacks with those one night after a surreptitious Dracula film.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

mogzilla

my "adam and the ants" skull and crossbones from 'look-in'!

ming

Quote from: mogzilla on 02 August, 2011, 11:08:52 AM
my "adam and the ants" skull and crossbones from 'look-in'!

Heh, I had that.  Great stuff.

I seem to remember getting a free spud gun with a comic, but I have no idea what, or even if I just imagined the whole thing.

Otherwise the free McMahon Dredd badge with Prog 178 was probably my favourite.

mogzilla

we all put sellotape on them and stuck them to our ears and an elastoplast across our noses !!! :lol:

Spikes

I seem to remember getting a free spud gun with a comic, but I have no idea what, or even if I just imagined the whole thing.
[/quote]

Think many a free gift was re-used. probably quite a few comics came with a spud gun, bit like when they relauched Eagle with a silver/grey copy of 2000ad's space spinner!
Do miss those free gifts in comic's, guess badges and stickers seem old fashioned now, :(

vzzbux

If I remember correctly one of the Eagles came with a spud gun. Used to love that.
Replaced it with a decent metal one when it broke.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Pete Wells

My fave 2000AD one was the Tharg Database you  got with Prog 752 which was a complete 2000AD trading card set. All new artwork too, so much better than those shite Strictly Ink ones of a couple of years ago.

I also loved the Mick Austin Dredd poster which I can't find an image for anywhere...

blixab

Quote from: The return of Judge Jack on 02 August, 2011, 08:05:53 PM

You weren't imagining the gun - came with issue 3 of Tornado.

COMMANDO FORCES

I quite enjoyed the playing cards that came one suit at a time over four issues of the Megazine!

Mudcrab

Heh, definitely remember the spud gun! Hours of fun!

I remember the spy wallet thing too, Tornado as well?

As above though, the Megazine cards were awesome!

The badge from oooh 178ish? The McMahon one, I've even got a school photo when I'm wearing that  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!