Main Menu

Researching The Undercity?

Started by The Amstor Computer, 10 May, 2012, 01:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Haven't been a regular here for so long, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll rely on the friendliness and gentle chiding of the forum regulars to steer me ;-)

Which Dredd stories or supplemental material would be the best places to grab Undercity info? I can think of "Cry of the Werewolf", "Necropolis", the Judge Prager tale from a few years back, "Judge Dredd v Aliens" and a couple of others, but are there any I'm missing? Looking for anything about how it was constructed, laws regarding it, general background flavour etc.

James Stacey

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: James Stacey on 10 May, 2012, 01:52:12 PM
there is a topic here which may throw some suggestions
http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,30922.msg560740#msg560740

(and welcome back  :) )

Friendliness! And no chiding! ;-)

Many thanks - that seems to be exactly what I'm after. And all in a thread to help Alex Ronald, whose art was my guilty pleasure back when it first appeared in 2K - everyone else then seemed to hate it. Great stuff :-)

EDIT:

Proudhuff - for anything that isn't already out there in the comic, I will be :-)

a chosen rider

The new edition of City of Dredd has a pretty lengthy section on the Undercity, with details of all the stories that it's featured in.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: a chosen rider on 10 May, 2012, 03:15:23 PM
The new edition of City of Dredd has a pretty lengthy section on the Undercity, with details of all the stories that it's featured in.

Hm. I've seen a few of John Caliber's books about before - was he not involved in the Dredd RPGs? - but I've never really seen comment on their quality. How is "City of Dredd" as a reference book? The price and the instant availability is tempting...

radiator

Tempest was a series in the Meg that was entirely set in the Undercity. There's two series.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: radiator on 10 May, 2012, 04:21:03 PM
Tempest was a series in the Meg that was entirely set in the Undercity. There's two series.

Thanks, Radiator :-)

a chosen rider

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 10 May, 2012, 04:19:49 PM
Quote from: a chosen rider on 10 May, 2012, 03:15:23 PM

Hm. I've seen a few of John Caliber's books about before - was he not involved in the Dredd RPGs? - but I've never really seen comment on their quality. How is "City of Dredd" as a reference book? The price and the instant availability is tempting...

There is a massive amount of info included.  I've just been dipping in and out for a story I'm plotting so far, but anything you could want to look up about the city is there.  For each location there's a recap of any events in the comics that took place there, with the names of the relevant storylines supplied, so it works either to look up specific places or if you want to search the file for a given character/story to find the associated locations.  Plus there's a general overview of the city, definitions of all the various terms like 'Conapts', 'Skedway' etc., a map of the city sectors, listings of which locations are in which sectors and a timeline of what stories took place in what year.  I've been finding it pretty useful both for looking up terms and locations for my Megazine story contest entry and researching stuff that comes up in these forums.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: a chosen rider on 10 May, 2012, 04:49:38 PM
There is a massive amount of info included.  I've just been dipping in and out for a story I'm plotting so far, but anything you could want to look up about the city is there.  For each location there's a recap of any events in the comics that took place there, with the names of the relevant storylines supplied, so it works either to look up specific places or if you want to search the file for a given character/story to find the associated locations.  Plus there's a general overview of the city, definitions of all the various terms like 'Conapts', 'Skedway' etc., a map of the city sectors, listings of which locations are in which sectors and a timeline of what stories took place in what year.  I've been finding it pretty useful both for looking up terms and locations for my Megazine story contest entry and researching stuff that comes up in these forums.

Sounds perfect (and oddly enough, I'm going to be using it for a similar purpose!).

Many thanks :-)

Emperor

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 10 May, 2012, 02:00:56 PMAnd all in a thread to help Alex Ronald, whose art was my guilty pleasure back when it first appeared in 2K - everyone else then seemed to hate it.

I wouldn't say that.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Emperor on 10 May, 2012, 05:01:11 PMI wouldn't say that.

ONE OF US! :-)

His current stuff is fantastic - very different from the old lumpy-faces which I loved, but still great.

radiator

I think a large part of Judge Dredd vs Predator is set in the Undercity, too.

The Amstor Computer

Picked up a copy of "City of Dredd: 2134". 'Tis fecking awesome and should prove hugely useful, and it's *really* nicely-designed as well. Thanks, all!