Main Menu

The Great Dante Readthrough Podcast

Started by Simon Fraser, 26 February, 2021, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Isn't Dante meant to be a bit of a bellend early on? I think Robbie M had always planned quite the emotional journey for him.
@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

The other Simon got in on the action with a brace of Rasputin-U-Like covers supporting the launch in progs 1035 and 1039:

And Trevor Hairsine supports The Romanov Dynasty in prog 1044:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 04 March, 2021, 05:03:29 PM
Isn't Dante meant to be a bit of a bellend early on? I think Robbie M had always planned quite the emotional journey for him.

I get the impression he was meant to be a bit of a bellend, but in a loveable rogue kind of way - I didn't see the loveable bit at all despite the Tharg of the time telling us he was.  (No offence, BishOP!)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I've always loved that cover for Prog 1039. Great depiction of the Bio-blades, plus the slightly Zappa-esque appearance seems to be the right level of lovable yet arrogant dickhead.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Mister Pops on 04 March, 2021, 08:37:44 PM
I've always loved that cover for Prog 1039. Great depiction of the Bio-blades, plus the slightly Zappa-esque appearance seems to be the right level of lovable yet arrogant dickhead.

I've only just been turned on to Zappa (as a political voice) - and his interviews are something else. File under "does not suffer fools gladly".

---------

As for Dante, I always thought he was supposed to be incorrigible, where his joie de vivre carried him through. A little along the lines of David Tennant in Casanova (2005). He wasn't heroic, but he was better than the utter bastards above him. (And, as has been pointed out, he develops heroic traits.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

Dante wouldn't really work if he wasn't a bellend.

Back to the podcasts, now I know about it I can't stop seeing those champagne bottles.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Illyana

I can finally reply! Hi all, this is Edie, Simon's wife and co-host.

I just wanted to say I've been loving reading all your comments and seeing the scans of the old covers too!

I'm working on adding scans of the pages we talk about in detail to the blog for those who want just a bit of a refresher on what we're talking about rather than reading along.

If you have the time, please rate us at 5 stars on Apple Podcasts and leave a review. It'll help other people find our podcasts as Apple appears to be the Tsar of podcasting. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-great-dante-readthrough/id1556077417

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Illyana on 05 March, 2021, 07:50:41 PM
I can finally reply! Hi all, this is Edie, Simon's wife and co-host.

I just wanted to say I've been loving reading all your comments and seeing the scans of the old covers too!

I'm working on adding scans of the pages we talk about in detail to the blog for those who want just a bit of a refresher on what we're talking about rather than reading along.

If you have the time, please rate us at 5 stars on Apple Podcasts and leave a review. It'll help other people find our podcasts as Apple appears to be the Tsar of podcasting. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-great-dante-readthrough/id1556077417

Hi Edie! Welcome on board, and thanks for the podcast.  The dynamic between you and Simon is just great; and it's been amazing to go back over Dante with you and see things I missed.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

jrdd

Thanks for putting this podcast together!  I've been meaning to re-read Dante for some time, so this is the perfect excuse to get started.  Looking at one or two stories per podcast seems about right, allowing time to really absorb events as well as the art and layout choices.

It's reminded me what a great introduction to the character and his world the first two stories were, and how it started a pattern of impatient waits until his return to the prog.  I remember this really did feel like the start of a special and very different series.

Looking forward to following your podcast.

judgeurko

Bad Andy

This is a lot more forensic than I thought it would be, which is great, but I'm not sure I can slow down my readthrough to the pace of the podcast :D

Thanks for doing this - it's great.

Illyana

Episode 4 is up!

https://simon-fraser-asa6.squarespace.com/tgdrpodcast

I've added some art to each of the blog posts on Simon's website so you can follow along some as we talk.