General Chat > Film & TV

Help me understand this film

(1/4) > >>

AlexF:
Just finished watching Tommy, the rock opera by the Who (currently on Netflix). I could not make head nor tail of it. Literally, I don't understand the plot, the themes, what I'm supposed to make of it, anything? I feel it's a beloved UK cult classic and as such am curious to know - is this film actually any good? Is it well liked? Is it just the music (which is fine but not entirely my cup of tea). I generally love Ken Russell and this has enough of his manic energy that I won't say I was bored by the film, but I was totally bemused.

I was born in 1978 so maybe I'm just too young to tune into whatever frequency it operates on. But it was a big enough deal that I reocnigsed the reference in that one Heavy Metal Dredd story where a pinball playing deaf/dumb/blind kid gets his ehad blown off. Although sadly that didn't happen in the film - instead he got cured and became Jesus??

Funt Solo:
I watched it when I was very young - and never again. And, I expect, never will again.

It's a cultural touchstone. You check it off the list and move on.

Hawkmumbler:
Vibes, its all about pure vibes. 'Sense' should be checked out at the door.

TOMMY rocks.

milstar:
This is movie isn't made to be understood. But wait 'til you see Lisztomania. Probably the most deranged, disgusting film ever. But that's why I love Russell as filmmaker. I don't have to like films, but I like his audacity as filmmaker.

Jim_Campbell:

--- Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 November, 2021, 12:06:59 PM ---Vibes, its all about pure vibes.

--- End quote ---

Plus, Ann Margaret covered in baked beans. It's searing critique of consumerism. Or something. ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version