Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: The new leader of the pack

Started by broodblik, 15 June, 2022, 03:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

For a very long time we had TB Grover penning and leading the direction in which the Dredd was headed. One day and I am not always sure if it was the T or the B that went away but then John Wagner decided on Dredd's fate. So, a simple question of the current Dredd writers whom do you believe should take the new lead:
-   Kenneth Niemand
-   Rob Williams
-   Michael Carroll
-   Rory McConville
-   Arthur Wyatt
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

There is a lot of talent the but as I said in the revierw thread recently its

Kenneth Niemand

for me.

AlexF

Can I vote for 'no one writer to take the lead, please'.
Am happy as is with everyone muddling through and occasionally someone going for a bigger story that pretends to have major consequences but doesn't really because you casn only mess so much with Judge Dredd...

broodblik

Quote from: AlexF on 15 June, 2022, 09:46:13 AM
Can I vote for 'no one writer to take the lead, please'.

Yes, I have added it as a option as well
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

The problem with Dredd is his universe now feels quite Elseworlds in nature. It's like we have several competing universes that can't easily co-exist. Dredd was always like that to some degree – most notably with explosive Anderson strips that were entirely ignored by Wagner – but it's far more apparent now Wagner has taken a back seat. The question is whether that really matters.

Perhaps it does with the long game of ongoing cohesion, which Dredd has mostly managed, if you squint a bit. I mean, it's not Usage Yojimbo, say, nor even Hellboy, but it does a better job at this than pretty much every big DC or Marvel series. But on a story-to-story basis, I'm not sure it overly matters unless you're a massive nerd.

So I'd go for no-one as well. But if I had to pick from that list, I'd say Rob is great for the epics more than an ongoing strip, and the others have all written some interesting stuff, but Kenneth Niemand is the person who has the 'voice' right. I'd happily see Tharg give him a six-month stint on Dredd, with others filling stories in here and there, just to see what happens.

paddykafka

Or Rebellion could just clone John Wagner, thus ensuring that his authorial voice continues long into the future. (A simple plan involving a napkin or beer mug with his DNA being smuggled out of a comics convention is already taking shape in my mind, lol.)  :D

Colin YNWA

Quote from: paddykafka on 15 June, 2022, 12:35:54 PM
Or Rebellion could just clone John Wagner, thus ensuring that his authorial voice continues long into the future. (A simple plan involving a napkin or beer mug with his DNA being smuggled out of a comics convention is already taking shape in my mind, lol.)  :D

Turn Wagner into a brain in a jar, only able to communicate via Dredd strips. Less distractions that way...

paddykafka

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 June, 2022, 01:38:52 PM
Quote from: paddykafka on 15 June, 2022, 12:35:54 PM

Turn Wagner into a brain in a jar, only able to communicate via Dredd strips. Less distractions that way...

Indeed! I can see him going down a storm at the next Lawless convention. (And with the right mind-controlled-robotic arm-implants, the issue of signing autographs for the fans is easily remedied.)

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/55/ac/c1/55acc1e20c0d0aaeba403cc12c1800f9--in-a-jar-the-brain.jpg

BPP

Rob Williams for me every day. He does terse Dredd so well, he does supporting characters well. He does epics well.

Only one who came close was Al and he ran away...
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

(i reckon ales cot would script a cool dredd).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 15 June, 2022, 03:14:30 PM
(i reckon ales cot would script a cool dredd).

That would defo be worth seeing as I reckon he'd be very good too.

broodblik

Rogue Judge

I've really been enjoying all of Michael Carroll's efforts on the Dredd novels, fantastic!