Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Cradlegrave vs. Rogue Trooper Rd 4 Heat 6

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 July, 2022, 06:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well we'll start Round 4 with no gush of excitement. No giddy anticipation of the tough, enthralling ties to come. Instead to really fire up those juices with a service announcement! Turn around is so fast I've not been mixing up these thread openers the way I intended and just kept rattling on with the same ol' format (for the posts the comp ain't changing). I had plans and maybe next round but for now, well if it ain't broke and all that... what and EXPLOSION into Round 4 hey!

One of my favourite ties of the Round, what contrasts. A done in one, short compact, horrific and timely. To a long sprawling epic that lost its way so many times and arguably had its finest hour under the writer of its opponent. Both had glorious art serving them well almost through in the case of Rogue. Feels like there is a favourite but I think there might might be an upset here.

Form book:

Cradlegrave - Bye; Scarlet Traces; Pandora Perfect
Rogue Trooper - Bye; Harlem Heroes (Reboot); Time Twisters

Cradlegrave - more info

Vs

Rogue Trooper (Rogue) - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 9th July and the winner gets a place in Round 5 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

However tempted you are by the one and done perfection of cradlegrave you just have to remember the sheer excitement pages of Cam Kennedy rogue gave. The very best in sci-fi action comics

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

davidbishop

AlexF

I like what you're doing there, BPP, scrambling for votes for the old guard.
I'm also reminded that J. Smith has skin in both games today - his own Cinnabar is the sort of story that would end up in the final of a 'best Rogue Trooper' tourney, should the forum ever get really desperate. And you know, I really do love the first few Rogue Trooper tales very much. And yes, the Kennedy dynamism, not to mention the Wilson tech, and the Ewins swagger.

But none of them punched me in the gut like Cradlegrave.

IndigoPrime

Rogue had some good moments and great art. But aside from Cinnebar, I don't care to reread any of it. I find it boring. Cradlegrave, though, is a masterpiece of succinct and creepy horror.

abelardsnazz

Rogue has plenty of wonderful moments as well as some meh. But although Cinnabar is great, in my opinion there isn't enough John Smith created stuff that's made it to this round. An urban horror classic that will stand the test of time means my vote goes to Cradlegrave.

rogue69

Barrington Boots

Thought long and hard about this one as Cradlegrave is fantastic and there's a fair amount of Rogue that's turgid. But when it's not turgid it rules. I just can't vote against Rogue Trooper here.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sintec

Rogue is very up and down even through the golden age. Cradlegrave is a contender for John Smith's best work in the prog (and also one of his last left in this tourney).

Timothy

Rogue Cradlegrave is very good, but Rogue is the bedrock of the golden age prog.