Main Menu

My Future Shock Hell (redux!)

Started by Alec Worley, 22 September, 2023, 10:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alec Worley

"How I broke into comics and why there's no such thing..."

Just posted the first part of a four-part revised and extended article I wrote on 'breaking in' to comics via the Future Shocks slush pile (may it rest in peace). And how those submission tactics have helped me ever since.

There's that Thought Bubble Talent Search coming up in November https://www.thoughtbubblefestival.com/2000ad So please do share with anyone who's looking to enter, as I'll be going into structure and all that stuff over the next three weeks.

Once again, a massive thank you to everyone who's been sharing and subscribing. Really helps get these things to people who may be fumbling in the dark as much as I was (and still am). :P

Richard

Quote from: Alec Worley on 22 September, 2023, 10:07:58 AMJust posted the first part of a four-part revised and extended article I wrote on 'breaking in' to comics via the Future Shocks slush pile (may it rest in peace).

Could you post a link to that please?

Alec Worley

Richard

Good article! Looking forward to the rest of  the instalments.

Alec Worley

Part Two of 'My Future Shock Hell' is now up...

https://alecworley.substack.com/p/my-future-shock-hell-chapter-2-of

"How to survive the submissions process (whether that's comics, novels, shorts, or screenplays) by rejection-proofing your soul"

broodblik

Thanks Alec, just to say I am looking forward to more Durham Red
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Le Fink

Good read, thanks. Interesting insight into the commitment required.

"But I did learn two fundamental principles that have since helped me approach any creative market for the first time, and which I'm more than happy to impart..."

Oooooooo. Cliffhanger! That's how to entice a reader.

nxylas

Quote from: Le Fink on 29 September, 2023, 12:21:10 PMOooooooo. Cliffhanger! That's how to entice a reader.
Insert Doctor Who sting/Eastenders doof-doof, according to preference.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Richard

Alec Worley

Alec Worley

Part Four and done!

MY 'FUTURE SHOCK' HELL! Chapter Four: Why Your Best Shot Is All That Will Ever Matter

https://alecworley.substack.com/p/my-future-shock-hell-chapter-4-of

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I greatly enjoyed these articles, though I think I'm many years past the stage where I would consider submitting a Future Shock again. Furthermore, the idea of having to pitch one in front of an audience fills me with abject dread!

Personally, I think writing is so hard because almost everybody can physically do it and yet to come up with a great comics script is so creatively and technically challenging. People just see the story in their head, not what they actually put onto the page. Must have made dealing with the slush pile a living nightmare.

I also think the future for comics and comics writers in particular is probably Kickstarter. It's certainly a really big part of the present....

Le Fink

Quote from: Alec Worley on 13 October, 2023, 08:15:02 AMPart Four and done!

MY 'FUTURE SHOCK' HELL! Chapter Four: Why Your Best Shot Is All That Will Ever Matter

https://alecworley.substack.com/p/my-future-shock-hell-chapter-4-of

Another good read. Getting ideas from periodicals is a good idea. I recall reading Wagner/Grant got ideas from the daily tabloids. What a great writing partnership - can help to have someone to bounce ideas off and challenge each other.

The Legendary Shark

An interesting and informative series, Alec, thank you.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

nxylas

I'd be interested in a follow-up saying where you got all these side-hustle jobs like proofreading recipe books etc.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!