Main Menu

How We Built Black Beth

Started by Alec Worley, 06 November, 2023, 08:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alec Worley

Resurrecting a British sword and sorcery heroine and what it takes to write a character 'well'

https://alecworley.substack.com/p/how-we-built-black-beth

New story from me and Dani in the Treasury of British Comics Annual out this week. It's called 'Death Carries Roses' and here's a deep-dive into how we re-built the character, who we wrote her for, and how we want her to be more than just a big nostalgia-bath.

Barrington Boots

This is a really great read, one of my favourites, and not just because it references a lot of cool old stuff. Nice to see Bob Harvey get a mention, he's not normally high on peoples lists of 'classic' FF artists for some reason.

I've really enjoyed what you've done with Black Beth Alec and I'm looking forward to reading the new tale the annual at Christmas (or before if willpower falters). I hope it's a hit with the readership you've aimed for!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

Great read. Alec you mentioned Hookjaw is there a change of another series?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.