Main Menu

Let's gossip about Nobody

Started by broodblik, 27 January, 2024, 05:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 February, 2024, 06:51:05 PMI also noticed that Absalom featured in the Dredd story along with all the old time classic characters

I noticed that, as well - but then there was also (for modern characters) Nikolai Dante, Sin Dex, Gene the Hackman & Langosta Random. So - maybe Niemand is really Simon Spurrier, Dan Abnett, Dan Abnett or Dan Abnett.

---

I've developed my own theory now about who it could be - but the closer I get to thinking I'm correct, the more I don't want to say it out loud. I mean - they've gone to all the trouble of coming up with a secret identity, so it'd be a bit bummy to blurt it out. (I realize this goes against exactly what I said up-thread, but I may be experiencing the first glimmer of a conscience.)

I should come up with a second theory, then posit that to throw people off the track. My creative writing teacher, Anna Blares, used to advocate that method for when you're trying to cover up plot twists.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Fortnight

I vaguely recall some comment about one of those M-authors with a thing for the number 23. Is that the cryptic clue?

This is worse than that notpr0n game.

Funt Solo

Quote from: A.Cow on 03 February, 2024, 07:33:13 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 03 February, 2024, 05:14:45 PM
Quote from: A.Cow on 03 February, 2024, 04:09:17 PMIt's what isn't in the prog that's most interesting.  No mention at all of a particular script droid.  Just sayin'...
So, you're firmly in the "It's Rennie" camp, then? (Although, he is credited in the crossover Meg 448 Missionary Man tale.)

Nope, I definitely do not think it's Rennie.

The clues:
  • Tharg trusted this writer immediately with Dredd -- that's no small matter. (And no, I don't think it's Mark Millar :lol:)
  • Prog 2300.  Prog 2300.  Prog 2300.  How many times can I say it?

Oh, right! It's a sequel. I get it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

A.Cow

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 03 February, 2024, 07:47:52 PMI've developed my own theory now about who it could be - but the closer I get to thinking I'm correct, the more I don't want to say it out loud. I mean - they've gone to all the trouble of coming up with a secret identity, so it'd be a bit bummy to blurt it out.

A very wise point.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 03 February, 2024, 07:54:08 PM
Quote from: A.Cow on 03 February, 2024, 07:33:13 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 03 February, 2024, 05:14:45 PM
Quote from: A.Cow on 03 February, 2024, 04:09:17 PMIt's what isn't in the prog that's most interesting.  No mention at all of a particular script droid.  Just sayin'...
So, you're firmly in the "It's Rennie" camp, then? (Although, he is credited in the crossover Meg 448 Missionary Man tale.)

Nope, I definitely do not think it's Rennie.

The clues:
  • Tharg trusted this writer immediately with Dredd -- that's no small matter. (And no, I don't think it's Mark Millar :lol:)
  • Prog 2300.  Prog 2300.  Prog 2300.  How many times can I say it?

Oh, right! It's a sequel. I get it.

As in the Stront story is a sequel of the Dredd one? I'm feeling very thick here.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

2000BC

Funt Solo

Okay, so I've collated the ten most promising theories so far (deffo for real this time):

1. The Kenny Who? Theory: it's Ken N-AI-mand.
2. The Frank 'n' Furtive Theory: it's Gordon Rennie.
3. The Freeman Theory: it's Gordon someone.
4. The Chompsky Theory: it's journo Ian Dunt.
5. Collective Irresponsibility: it's more than one writer.
6. The Judgement Day Theory: it's that Preacher guy.
7. The Captain Nemo Theory: it's Alan Moore.
8. The Truth is Out There: [BPP will tell you, but only in private].
9. The Betelgusian Smokescreen: it's Alan Barnes.
10. The AvP Theory: it's James Worrall.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Well, if I was Garth, I wouldn't advertise the fact that I was back on Dredd, after the likes of that mutant teddy bear story in the 90s. Though I'm willing to bet he'd do a cracking job on Dredd these days.

But... If it was him, his anagrammatic namesake Tharg would have his name plastered all over the prog by way of gaining publicity, one would imagine.

I still have absolutely no idea how prog 2300 hints at who Ken Niemand is, and it feels like I'm walking with a pebble in my shoe.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 February, 2024, 09:56:10 AMI still have absolutely no idea how prog 2300 hints at who Ken Niemand is

The theory goes like this: the entire structure of the 2300/448 crossover story is draped over an alternity version of Judgement Day, which was scripted by a (big name) droid who doesn't even get mentioned. The Nerve Centre provides the preamble, y'see.

Where the theory falls down:
 - They are explicitly mentioned in the Meg's blurb.
 - There are no thinly-disguised Beano characters.
 - It's not set in WWII.
 - He was happy to put his name to Judge Dredd vs. Robo-Hunter in prog 2351.

Conspiratorial lean-ins:
 - When was the last time we had a cross-dimensional Dredd tale with art by Henry Flint?
 - N-AI-mand really does know their Dredd-lore very well, and how to write comics.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Swerty

Suppose he's going for a John Wagner vibe as he first wrote under a pseudonym T.B Grover

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 04 February, 2024, 05:00:25 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 February, 2024, 09:56:10 AMI still have absolutely no idea how prog 2300 hints at who Ken Niemand is

The theory goes like this: the entire structure of the 2300/448 crossover story is draped over an alternity version of Judgement Day, which was scripted by a (big name) droid who doesn't even get mentioned. The Nerve Centre provides the preamble, y'see.

Where the theory falls down:
 - They are explicitly mentioned in the Meg's blurb.
 - There are no thinly-disguised Beano characters.
 - It's not set in WWII.
 - He was happy to put his name to Judge Dredd vs. Robo-Hunter in prog 2351.

Conspiratorial lean-ins:
 - When was the last time we had a cross-dimensional Dredd tale with art by Henry Flint?
 - N-AI-mand really does know their Dredd-lore very well, and how to write comics.

Thanks, Funt, I genuinely appreciate you filling me in on that.  It was wrecking my head much more than it should have.

If on the off chance it's true, it's good to see that the droid in question has given up on the 70s Dreddisms like 'swell' and 'lousy'.

Magnetica

Why he can't it just be someone called Kenneth Niemand?

M.I.K.

Because Kenneth Niemand said he wasn't.