Main Menu

Bec and Kawl: Disect.

Started by jont, 29 May, 2002, 02:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisr

I think it's a much needed contrast for 2000ad, it may lean a little heavily on film references for some tastes but it's a fun, breezy read with quite fantastic artwork and colouring. I think given time this could be a really great strip.

my 1st post so be nice.

Oddboy

Actually, I totally agree with every word you just posted.

Better set your phaser to stun.

moly

er must agree im enjoying it makes the death strip seem even more evil

jont

It realy boils down to Funny Reference/ Un-funny Reference.

Funny Reference: Mommy said there were no real monsters, but there are...

Un-funny Reference: Like in GHOSTBUSTERS? Cool, cross the beams!

I know Si himself does be around this board hope he's not dismayed by the sight of his baby's entrails being spread across the internet.

DavidXBrunt

Well I like it. The second strip is an improvement (part one anyway, I've not read the second). I look forward to more.

paulvonscott

I thought both the above references were unfunny, really don't like B&K, but would look forward to anything else Si does, especially serious stuff.

Well, he should take comfort in the fact that not everyone shares the same sense of humour.  Some people like it some loathe it as the scojomonster said.  

The fact that its polarised people isn't a failure, nobody has created a humour strip since DR and Quinch that hasn't had that affect.

Take Bradley, that was a painfully bad attempt at doing a DR&Q and it failed abysmally, for me.  But hey, other people enjoyed it, as someone here has pointed out.

The same goes for a lot of non-humour strips too :)  In fact every new strip since ooh, ages ago has had this effect on the readers.

JamieB

"Comedy strips never work in 2k."

Sorry, scojo, but... DR & Quinch?

Anyway; although I haven't much liked B&C thus far, its an astute strip to run, as it could feasibly free Dredd up from film parodies etc. and leave space for some longer stories, mega-epics or 'serious' stuff. And its always good to see new talent in 2000AD.

*J*

Thread Zero

I think Dr and Quinch has its detractors too!

Shame on them.

I must admit I like most of the funny stories in 2k.

You just have to change your mindset. When I read Beck and Kewl I imagine I'm watching some zany cartoon. Like South Park! If you do that, you shouldn't take it too seriously.

scojo

Jenny-Mek

I like Bec and Kaul. There are some dire bits, but i find that's the same in every strip. I happen to think spot and bra jokes funny, 2K is a comic, comics are for kids (face it!), and I think the odd fluffy comedy type strip encourages a whole different readership, and what 2K needs is more readers!
Okay, I'll admit A) I liked the Judge Dredd movie AND Scojo's screenplay, and B) Bec reminds me of me, so obviously I think she's great.
I didn't understand Bradley, but i loved Dr and Quinch...

Tiplodocus

As everyone has pointed out, just photocopying a bit of script from a film you like doesn't necessarilly make for great gags (most of the Dredd movie parody episodes are poor as well).  

Compare the wholesale "cut and paste" in Bec and Kawl to one funny, film reference line from 13.  "Terminate with no bad feelings".  It takes a film line/well known saying and adds a neat little twist to get a laugh (from me anyway).

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Thread Zero

Okay, I'll admit A) I liked the Judge Dredd movie AND Scojo's screenplay

NOOOOOOOOOO!!

Please don't mention THAT film and my screenplay in the same sentence. I get a cold sweat!

scojo damp

W. R. Logan

>I think its fucking abysmal.  Really, just shite, like that piss poor kebab story and the ejaculating whale that everyone enjoyed so much.

Nothing like constructive criticism 8-) I may think Siku is crap and that Scojo is an arse but at least I generally give some reason for it.
Your not going to like ever writer, artist or strip that appears in 2000 but as long as each Prog has more stuff in I like that?s all I ask. For everything I think is fantastic I'm sure others think is crap and vice versa.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theclassof79" target="_blank">Class Of '79 Yahoo Group

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/gallery/court1.jpg">

W. R. Logan

>I think Dr and Quinch has its detractors too!
>
>Shame on them.

One of them being their creator and writer. Moore apologised for writing DR & Quinch and said he's never write them again.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theclassof79" target="_blank">Class Of '79 Yahoo Group

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/thumbnails/350thumb.jpg">

paulvonscott

Ah Logan, if only you'd read my other contributions to the Bec and Kawl debate you'd realise I have said pretty much the same, that not everyone is going to like everything and I also gave my best attempt at some useful criticism.

"I think its fucking abysmal. Really, just shite, like that piss poor kebab story"

Yeah.  And I still believe it.  But each to their own eh?  

I rarely find that AD has more stuff in that I like than don't like and I don't really feel any great inhibitions to prevent me from saying what I don't like.  

If its something I loathe I'll usually give it a slagging (though I'm always happy to qualify the statement), if its something which for me has some serious flaws I'll say so and if I like something I'll usually overlook anything I'm not to keen on.

Both Sin City and The Death story for me have been what reaches my own level of enjoyment.