Main Menu

Watchmen Trailer now...

Started by Goaty, 17 July, 2008, 07:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Rorschach was so brilliant!!! Looks like in each shot, his mask changes, good idea... but perfect!

The Comedian = perfect!
Silk Spectre II  = perfect! but did anyone notice her legs when she walking down the steps?
Dr. Manhattan = I thougths it was good!
Nite Owl II =  = perfect! but thought he would be bit overweight?
Ozymandias = how pefect! better than I expected from that promo shot!

and also Moloch the Mystic if you can spot him!!

TordelBack

Bit that hooked me deep:  Veidt taking out the "assassin" with the ashtray-thing, the "who sent you, don't bite down" bit in the book.  Just perfectly capturing a pivotal moment.

Bit that let me down:  Dan's flying jump-kick in the prison riot scene.

Amazing things:  Jon in 'Nam, Rorshach's mask patterns shifting, Laurie's costume, the owlship, Mars...

Worrying things:  Hints of use of 'bullet time' technique to simulate the way the book plays with time.

Damnit, must not give in, must resist pointless corporate hack-job of sacred text....

Even in the face of awesome trailer, never compromise.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "TordelBack"So I'll content myself with noting that Dan looks far too much the traditional movie superhero, and less the middle-aged geek gussied along by his psychotic ex-partner.  Off for another look now...

Is that not part of the point?, it's a movie adaptation not the comic, his character should contrast with how he looks.

JOE SOAP

Did anyone notice the can of Veidt aerosol spray Rorshach uses to flamethrow?

I liked the flashes of the pivotal moments in the comedian's apartment, Vedits ashtray beating and Nixon on the T.V.s at Karnak.

TordelBack

QuoteIs that not part of the point, it's a movie adaptation not the comic, his character should contrast with how he looks.

Don't really see it, Dan being an overweight speccy git was hardly echoing a comic trope in the mid-80s in the same way that rubberised-armour-clad martial-artist dudes are all over current superhero cinema.  Surely Watchmen was (partly) about undermining and reworking (see how I manfully try to avoid using the word 'deconstructing') ideas about superheroes, not just reproducing them?

But don't get me wrong, I thought that was an awesome piece of work.  I've watched it a dozen times now, an it keeps getting better.

Dan Kelly

That looks great - especially the end bit

As to the comments on Dan - I think a lot of the shots we see are from the "end of the heroes" - a point when Nite Owl et al would be at their physical prime

Dan

Gavin_Leahy_Block

just saw it and yes, it's just so good.
loved Rorshach's mask, didnt expect them to get it so right.
Ozy also looks much better then i had anticipated.

re-read!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "TordelBack"
QuoteIs that not part of the point, it's a movie adaptation not the comic, his character should contrast with how he looks.

Don't really see it, Dan being an overweight speccy git was hardly echoing a comic trope in the mid-80s in the same way that rubberised-armour-clad martial-artist dudes are all over current superhero cinema.  Surely Watchmen was (partly) about undermining and reworking (see how I manfully try to avoid using the word 'deconstructing') ideas about superheroes, not just reproducing them?

But don't get me wrong, I thought that was an awesome piece of work.  I've watched it a dozen times now, an it keeps getting better.

The bits we've seen of Dan are the latter action scenes and have been stylised for the trailer so who knows?

There's so much detail in that trailer, the picture of Sally Jupiter on the Comedian's wall, the blimp in the sky...

Bongo Jack

It looks like just another superhero movie to me.  The costumes, the grim stylings, the slo-mo fights - it's maybe an irony in itself that if it had stuck more closely to the look and style of the source material, it would be visually unique among the current crop of superhero movies.  As it is, I think anyone who hasn't some measure of love for the original will be heartily 'meh' by the trailer - what differentiates it from Iron Man, Dark Knight, Daredevil?
I also can't help but feel that the Smashing Pumpkins' theme from Batman And Robin - one of the most cliched and reviled comic-book movies of all time, featuring superheroes in rubber-armor suits and which placed stylistic trappings over story, characters, narrative sense, and hetrosexual main characters - is a poor choice of music for the first trailer the world will see for this film.
Perhaps it's a massive double-bluff by the makers to make everyone think we're getting another Batman And Robin when we'll get something truly great?  Can't help but feel that's just inviting trouble.

But hey, infinite universe, all things possible - no reason this will be another V For Vendetta.  Might be good.
Live forever or die trying

Buddy

I quite like the look of that, but not sure what to make of Manhattan.

Some scenes he looks good, some he looks like he's been lifted from a video game.

Watchmen may be a good comic but I'm still not convinced it'll make a good movie.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Uncle Umpty"I quite like the look of that, but not sure what to make of Manhattan.

Some scenes he looks good, some he looks like he's been lifted from a video game.

Watchmen may be a good comic but I'm still not convinced it'll make a good movie.

It can hardly be finished and fully rendered footage at this early stage, so as fas as criticising Manhattan nearly a year before the film is released is jumping the gun.

Radbacker

cant find it on any of those links this is driving me nuts

CU Radbacker

Grant Goggans

I get more and more optimistic about this movie with each new scrap they release.

Sort of the anti-Spirit, really.

Radbacker

Found it at last on You-Tube, the official one takes ages to download guess everyone is trying at the same time.
That look frakin awsome, still quite a bit off so not gonna comment on the freaky looking 3 Dr Manhattens but the bit in Nam with the choppers and the poor little VC soldier perfect.  can not wait for this, now off to watch it again wish I had sound on my work compy :(

CU radbacker

pauljholden

HD version on the apple website: http://www.apple.com/trailers

I'm stunned. Just stunned.

Still leaves me curious about just how much of the books they've had to leave out, the trailer highlights milliseconds of some really cool bits (espec the sequence of Doc M on mars, how will they deal with that entire chapter on his origins?)

-pj