Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Is that the one between 'rinse' and 'spin'?

The Legendary Shark

I don't know, Tordels - my kettle's not that advanced.
I'll get me... oh wait, I'm already wearing it.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Grugz

hang on ,do we not get a say? Scotland is still part of the uk so we should get to say wether we want them to stay or go .
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

GordonR

Isn't that like saying you're not allowed to leave your job unless your employer agrees to it?

Or a business relationship unless your business partner agrees to it?

Or a personal relationship unless your ex says you can go?

I can keep on going until you see how fucking stupid your point is...

The Legendary Shark

Grugz asks whether the English should get a say, not final authorization.
It's like saying your employer has no right to try to convince you not to quit your job.
Or your business partner has no right to point out the terms of your partnership contract.
Or your ex has no right to say anything about your personal relationships.
I can keep on going until you see how ignorant your point is...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 August, 2014, 03:20:50 AM

How would you define 'say' if not as a vote?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Banners

In terms of politics, my limited understanding is that the Scottish Parliament is able to address the most important issues north of the border without recourse to Westminster. So, to me, it seems that the motiviation for complete independence is more like political gerrymandering, rather than a way of actually delivering Scotland the greatest benefit.

I don't really know that much about how it all works, but I think it's a huge shame that the debate - as far as I can see it, and including Monday's televised shouting match - is based almost solely in political and economical terms.

To me, Scotland being part of the UK has a much bigger cultural significance. Our families, friends, partners and colleagues have come together and been formed from all parts of the UK. In the rest of the UK, many of our heroes and leaders are Scottish, and many people from the rest of the UK have had a huge impact on Scotland itself, contributing to both its prosperity and identity. As far as I can see, we have enjoyed living, loving and working together across what are currently completely unemcumbered borders - and I don't understand how changing that offers any cultural or emotional benefit to anyone in the UK at present.

I respect the Scots' right to choose, and mean no disrespect to those intending to vote Yes - fair play to you.

But from here in England, I think it would be a huge shame, for all of us in the UK, if the political ramifications and logistical practicalities of a Yes vote were to endanger that very special cultural and emotional link which we are all currently able to engage with, embrace and enjoy.

Grugz

sorry if I offended you rennie wasn't intended I just wondered if the rest of the uk should have an opinion.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Grugz on 28 August, 2014, 08:32:16 AM
sorry if I offended you rennie wasn't intended I just wondered if the rest of the uk should have an opinion.

'An opinion' is not the same thing as 'a say' — again, how do you define 'a say' if not as a vote. If you meant opinion, you should be more careful how you phrase things. FWIW, I'm not aware of anyone saying that the rest of the UK can't have an opinion.

(Actually, that's not strictly true. I'm not sure why, for example, so many 'Yes' supporters, on my Facebook feed at least, rushed to condemn David Bowie expressing a pro-union opinion but heartily cheered Dave Grohl expressing a pro-independence one.)

Cheers

Jim

Fungus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 August, 2014, 07:28:22 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 August, 2014, 03:20:50 AM
How would you define 'say' if not as a vote?

Well, comment obviously. I ignore FB & Twitter and ration my news in recent times and still it's clear that the media is full of comment from all regions? I've certainly heard Banners' eloquent points made elsewhere and because I'm not an island I take them on board.

Grugz

of course a say is an opinion and doesn't have to be a vote.
I have a say/opinion  as to wether the wife bought the new washer dryer ,it wasn't a vote as she got it anyway I had a say and an opinion and it didn't matter...

Fungus

Quote from: Fungus on 28 August, 2014, 08:36:58 AM
Well, comment obviously. I ignore FB & Twitter and ration my news in recent times and still it's clear that the media is full of comment from all regions? I've certainly heard Banners' eloquent points made elsewhere and because I'm not an island I take them on board.

Was about to tweak that before the Logic Police took it apart limb-from-limb... and see JC addressed all this in the meantime. Carry on.

Fungus

Nice to know that nations will continue to be able to have these thoughtful, considered debates in the future   ;)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Grugz on 28 August, 2014, 08:49:45 AM
of course a say is an opinion and doesn't have to be a vote.

Then I'll ask you again: who was saying you didn't get to have an opinion?

Cheers

Jim

Grugz

well I did mean some sort of opinion poll sorry I didn't make that clear .I also should have included a winky to demonstrate the light hearted tone it was meant instead of it being taken soooo seriously ;)