Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I third the motion.  No cuntiness involved here
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mabs

You find idiots within all religious denominations ,  and even non - religious ones (Dawkins comes to mind). What I'm basically trying to get at, is that there are good and bad people in every walk of life. Sometimes you have idiots, or so called religious leaders talking right old shite, but the same could be said of politicians, atheists, and yes, even those of a religious persuasion. The thing that I find a concern is the idea that a whole faith can be held responsible for the acts of a few. An example is the #KillAllMuslims hash tag currently doing the rounds on twitter. And some of the sentiments being shared on social media, borders on down right xenophobia. Even from those who supposedly believe in 'reason'. It's very dangerous to see, and being a person belonging to a minority, quite scary, and even saddening to see.

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Hawkmumbler

I agree completely. Without going into too much detail, I went to a Christian primary school and to say they dealt with my autistic manifestations poorly would be...an understatement. They where what I would colloquially describe as neo-Westboro types and honestly the way they drilled my lack of self awareness and slow mental ability into me at a young age was probably a catalyst for my depression and anti-social tendencies.

It's a very irrational, dyed in the wood hatred that I should really get over but for some reason I can't find it in me to forgive them and judge religious people individually. That and having people of the cloth I am forced to call my colleagues constantly ridicule my mental disorder, my sexuality, and agnostic beliefs isn't helping much.

Prodigal2

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 January, 2015, 12:13:57 PM
I agree completely. Without going into too much detail, I went to a Christian primary school and to say they dealt with my autistic manifestations poorly would be...an understatement. They where what I would colloquially describe as neo-Westboro types and honestly the way they drilled my lack of self awareness and slow mental ability into me at a young age was probably a catalyst for my depression and anti-social tendencies.

It's a very irrational, dyed in the wood hatred that I should really get over but for some reason I can't find it in me to forgive them and judge religious people individually. That and having people of the cloth I am forced to call my colleagues constantly ridicule my mental disorder, my sexuality, and agnostic beliefs isn't helping much.

Hawk I am a Christian, albeit an often conflicted one and riven with deep seated doubt . Can I just say mate how angry and sick and repulsed I am at reading of your experiences at the hands of those who would identify themselves as my fellow believers? I wish I could say that I am surprised but I'm not and that's about as sad a statement as I could make on the subject.

As for the people who subject you to the ongoing abuse I wonder what account of Jesus they base their abuse on?  I have a strong attraction to pacifism but I'm wondering if a smack in the mouth for some of them might be therapeutic all round.

Best wishes Hawk.

Mabs

If they ridicule you, then they should be ashamed to call themselves Christians. Same applies to every faith, and even non - faith individuals.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Hawkmumbler

I understand and i'm sorry. But as you saw by my post on the previous page sometimes I put myself in these situations and I say things much more bluntly than I would wish and tend to paint people with the same brush. That is MY fault and theirs nothing to apologies for.

Prodigal2

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 January, 2015, 12:40:54 PM
I understand and i'm sorry. But as you saw by my post on the previous page sometimes I put myself in these situations and I say things much more bluntly than I would wish and tend to paint people with the same brush. That is MY fault and theirs nothing to apologies for.

Hawk do you ever get the opportunity to confront your abusers and tell them in no uncertain terms that they are acting like a shower of turds rather than Christians or is that impossible in the circumstances?

Sorry if that is intrusive. Ignore if it is mate.

Hawkmumbler

I was 5 and I was at the school for little over 2 months. In addition to this the school was shut down and demolished (I would like to know what caused this as I don't believe Ofsted where around at the time, but a whistle was certainly blown) and I never saw the staff ever again. It's amazing that this was only in 2000 as you would assume shit like this was a myth nowadays. Honestly I went to a different school after that point and thought nothing of it. It wasn't till my mid teens that I started to reflect on my then current situation and realized it might have played a factor in my seemingly irrational inferiority issues.

Prodigal2

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 January, 2015, 01:03:17 PM
I was 5 and I was at the school for little over 2 months. In addition to this the school was shut down and demolished (I would like to know what caused this as I don't believe Ofsted where around at the time, but a whistle was certainly blown) and I never saw the staff ever again. It's amazing that this was only in 2000 as you would assume shit like this was a myth nowadays. Honestly I went to a different school after that point and thought nothing of it. It wasn't till my mid teens that I started to reflect on my then current situation and realized it might have played a factor in my seemingly irrational inferiority issues.

I was thinking more of the crew that you are forced to associate with now Hawk

I have to say that's the most joy I have ever felt at the news of a  school being demolished.

TordelBack

Quote from: Muscleman on 09 January, 2015, 12:04:48 PMIt's very dangerous to see, and being a person belonging to a minority, quite scary, and even saddening to see.

Aye, it's disgusting - it's like bigots think they have been handed a free pass. I sincerely hope the indelible memory of the internet comes back to haunt them at some critical juncture of their future professional or personal lives.   

I find it particularly depressing from my own countrymen, who still 'enjoy' a virtual mono-culture in their own land, and clearly forget (or never knew) what it was like to be Irish in the UK or elsewhere during the worst of the IRA's campaign, actions which every poll and election showed they wanted no part of.

On another tack, while I respect people with religious faith as I would any individual, it is impossible for me to respect any organisation that acquires and exercises power and influence through the teaching of what are, at best, gross misapprehensions.

Prodigal2

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 January, 2015, 01:13:11 PM
Quote from: Muscleman on 09 January, 2015, 12:04:48 PMIt's very dangerous to see, and being a person belonging to a minority, quite scary, and even saddening to see.

Aye, it's disgusting - it's like bigots think they have been handed a free pass. I sincerely hope the indelible memory of the internet comes back to haunt them at some critical juncture of their future professional or personal lives.   

I find it particularly depressing from my own countrymen, who still 'enjoy' a virtual mono-culture in their own land, and clearly forget (or never knew) what it was like to be Irish in the UK or elsewhere during the worst of the IRA's campaign, actions which every poll and election showed they wanted no part of.

On another tack, while I respect people with religious faith as I would any individual, it is impossible for me to respect any organisation that acquires and exercises power and influence through the teaching of what are, at best, gross misapprehensions.

I am very much in sympathy with this stance TB. I do not think faith should be a matter for the public realm but rather a personal matter (my theology is largely anabaptist in origin) as it seems that if allowed to spill over  it quickly turns into a poisonous theocratic monster and there is no greater tool of oppression than a mis-used religion.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 January, 2015, 01:13:11 PM

'Sright.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Old Tankie

First they came for the cartoonists,

then they came for the Jews,

and then they come for the ......................................... ?

Mabs

Quote from: Old Tankie on 09 January, 2015, 07:07:15 PM
First they came for the cartoonists,

then they came for the Jews,

and then they come for the ......................................... ?

I think we're all in agreement that these extremists are not just against Jews, Cartoonists or Christians, but people in general. Everyone can be a victim of their twisted wrath.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

My Twitter @nexuswookie