Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 16 November, 2010, 05:32:59 PM
Did you find anything interesting?

'Saleable' rather than interesting. There was a CD by a band called Stabbing Westward. I gather some of the kids like them. I wouldn't have minded giving that a listen.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 November, 2010, 08:23:15 PM
Is this the right place to mention I'm going to see the Norwegian poptasticness wrapped in an airy falsetto, razor sharp cheek bones and tight leather trousers that is commonly referred to as "a-ha" tomorrow night?

Lucky you! Wish I were going to see them.
STRIKE !!!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: House of Usher on 17 November, 2010, 06:28:55 AM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 16 November, 2010, 05:32:59 PM
Did you find anything interesting?

'Saleable' rather than interesting. There was a CD by a band called Stabbing Westward. I gather some of the kids like them. I wouldn't have minded giving that a listen.

Oddly enough my morning shuffle session (tee hee) led to a bit of a Stabbing Westward rediscovery. I loved them, 'Wither, Blister, Burn and Peel' is a classic album for me and flows perfectly from start to finish. Everything after that was a bit patchy ('Darkest Days' is brilliant but bloated and the self-titled album just didn't sound like the same band) and I don't actually own anything before it. But if it's 'Wither...' then it's all win. Still remember seeing them support White Zombie as a nipper, now that was a gig!

I, Cosh

Quote from: SquashedFly on 17 November, 2010, 04:02:06 AM
My fault then. Sorry about that, I should of read the thread more.

I have liked all I have heard from FSA so far though. Which isn't so bad.  :)
I was being flip.
We never really die.

Peter Wolf

I have just discovered a 2007 lp by The Orb called The Dream.I was really into them in the early 90s as i saw them live a few times and went to a couple of their all-nighters at the Brixton Academy but not long after that i lost interest in their music and i didnt realise they were still making music until recently so i bought this out of curiosity and i am not disappointed.

I always find instrumental music is good for listening to while drawing and writing etc as it helps my concentration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kjihdja_e8
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

HdE

In an effort to maintain sanity as I juggle no less than SIX lettering projects, I decided to unpack my 'Message In A Box' Police CDs.

Holy crap - I'm consistently amazed at what an incredible little combo The Police were! Never mind the songs they're best known for. Stuff like 'Miss Gradenko', 'It's Alright For You' and 'Rehumanize Yourself' puts a giant grin on my musically trained face.

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Peter Wolf

Quote from: HdE on 25 December, 2010, 06:28:40 PM
In an effort to maintain sanity as I juggle no less than SIX lettering projects, I decided to unpack my 'Message In A Box' Police CDs.

Holy crap - I'm consistently amazed at what an incredible little combo The Police were! Never mind the songs they're best known for. Stuff like 'Miss Gradenko', 'It's Alright For You' and 'Rehumanize Yourself' puts a giant grin on my musically trained face.

You cant go wrong with any of their music and after watching the live footage of their 2007 world tour they just run rings round bands that are a quarter of their age and whats more they are so tight as musicians that they dont play to a setlist.

They makes todays younger musicians look rubbish.

Colin YNWA

They Might be Giants

I was going nuts listening to my daughters CDs of nursery rhymes until a friend recommended some children's CDs by They Might be Giants. In a flash I ordered 'Here come the 1,2,3s' and 'Here come the a,b,c's' and at least one of um blooming great. The little un went to bed happy after watching the DVD up to 'High Five' while dad listened to the rest quite happily while doing the dishes.

Tell me another children's song that has lyrics like this

"We share the same omniverse
Please clean your room
We share the same omniverse
And even though you are over here and not there
There's just one everywhere"

House of Usher

Working a night shift before Christmas I discovered the 2010 single 'Night People' by The Human League. I immediately recognized it as The Human League because it sounded like 1981, but I had no idea they were recording new material again.

Also I've been humming 'Zombified' by Alien Sex Fiend all afternoon. The much improved dance version of course, which, unlike the original, has something approaching a tune.
STRIKE !!!

SmallBlueThing

Take That. Heard some in a sho earlier and quite liked it.
Also, Michael Bublé. Watched his tv Audience With show the other night, and the good lady and i both said that if he were to play outside our house, we wouldnt shut the windows.
SBT

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 11 January, 2011, 06:53:27 PMthe good lady and i both said that if he were to play outside our house, we wouldnt shut the windows.

It would be much harder to throw things at him if you did.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Roger Godpleton

Almost on a lark, I put Rid of Me on the other day. Now there is a fucking record.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Peter Wolf

I recall this track from the early 80s and ever since then i had never heard it again until a few minutes ago when i did a search on Youtube as i remembered the title of it and the first verse.Its a French song so it probably wasnt played much in the UK and i think i heard it abroad at some point.

I love the tune but i hate the vocal break towards the end which ruins it a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_soMsC3_ek

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 11 January, 2011, 08:00:30 PM
Almost on a lark, I put Rid of Me on the other day. Now there is a fucking record.

It is indeed an absolute belter. But then so is almost all of PJ's (the other ones) output

Mikey

David Bowie.

I was a relative latecomer to Bowie and having a trawl though my music the other day, I stuck on the best of from a few years ago (with some exceptions from the 80s IMO). "Looked out my window, what did I see? A crack in the sky with hand reaching down to me. All the nightmares came today and it looks as though they're here to stay" Fuckin great!

I also picked out some Bill Hicks cds. Fuckin great!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

johnnystress

I just discovered these guys

Y Niwl

If you like instrumental 60's style surf guitar these are the boys for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuDOTc4ViUc

http://yniwl.com/