Main Menu

Meg 411 - Primate Savagery

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 21 August, 2019, 09:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MumboJimbo

Just finished reading it today. Was going to do a longish review but then read through what had been written so far, and realised mine would be more or less a rehash of Colin's!

There's been a lot of negativity about Anderson recently (most of which I agree with) but the current run in the Meg seems terrific so far. Maura McHugh's script has a lot going on, but keeps the pace up, and the Goddard and Mather art is striking. If this is the future of Anderson, I can certainly get on board with that (even if she looks too young).

Frank

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 26 August, 2019, 06:51:55 PM
Anderson ... looks too young

I honestly don't care about this, but a significant proportion of the readership obviously do, so it's not going to go away.

Now Dredd's had a dip in the same fountain as Orlando, Mia, Alan and Emma, they might as well magic Anderson all young again, too.

Mike Carroll's techno-nonsense described Dredd's dip as full cellular regeneration, which, as late as Al Ewing's A Home For Aldous Mayou (i), was being described as a completely new, innovative technology.

So, that one line from an older Anderson story (ii) about then-existing anti-ageing pills interfering with psi-abilities no longer holds.

Can't see that happening, though, for ideological reasons.

(i) 1699, by Ewing & Holden

(ii) Lock-In (Meg 227), by Grant & Ranson

Jacqusie

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 23 August, 2019, 12:43:12 PM
How good is Patrick Goddard on Anderson? This is stunning work (which I know is to be expected but flippi-neck these pages are a treat)

I agree his work is great on the strip and in some ways I wish it was in black and white as his work really shines in this genre... however the colouring on this strip leaves a lot to be desired INMO...

The Adventurer

Weird to see Defoe relegated to floppy. Surely there's been enough material released since The Damned to put out a proper collection? The Damned, The London Hanged... that one-shot in the 2014 Winter Special? Maybe sales fell off? I don't like Defoe that much, but I thought it was still a primer 2000 AD strip right now.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

DrJomster

I liked everything this month. Controversial, I know...

I think the Meg's doing well at the mo. Returners is growing on me very nicely and DeMarco is very engaging. Anderson is strong as is Dredd. Articles are fine too.

Bit surprised to get all that Defoe in the floppy though. That was quite generous!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

WhizzBang

I would just like to express my appreciation for this issues Defoe supplement. Really great stuff here.