Main Menu

The big fat COLOURING thread

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 16 May, 2012, 09:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKD

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 26 July, 2013, 12:37:41 AM

Bit of El Bigote by the hamfisted SKD and brilliantly crayon'd in by myself

Fixed that for you. :D

Wonderful work there CFM, really smart. I couldn't see the image here on the forum (just a little box with a red cross in it.) Anybody else having the same problem, head over to https://www.facebook.com/elbigotecomic to see Crazy Foxes cracking colours. As well as stunning art from El Chivo there is also fantastic work by Shaky Kane, Jim Campbell, Matt Soffe, Bolt 01, Grant Perkins, Sparkonaut, Chris Askham, SuperSurfer and many others. There's also a chap calling himself Locust and some more of my 'hamfisted' offerings too.

Shameless plugger Stew. ;)

flip-r mk2

Getting fed up using the laptops touchpad for colouring, went out and bought myself this :)

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah that'll do it - you were colouring on a trackpad before?!? Bloody hell that takes some doing. Thanks to the very kind Jon Taylor I'm catching up colouring work (my Bamboo broke last week) with my first ever Intuos :D Which is essentially the same although larger and it recognises "tilting" on the pen and has a DIGITAL RUBBER WHICH IS AMAZING.

Dog Deever

The yellow bit on top of the pen & touch pen is a 'rubber' as well- I never realised at first. Once I found out by accident, I was ridiculously pleased about the whole concept. Stupid, but it's more natural than clicking back and forth between functions.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

flip-r mk2

Here's my first attempt colouring using the Bamboo, Erasmus panel 7.
Got home from work tonight and the first thing I did was see if the tip was a digital rubber after reading CFM's post :) Definitely easier to colour with than the track pad.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

radiator

Quote from: Dog Deever on 06 August, 2013, 01:28:12 AM
The yellow bit on top of the pen & touch pen is a 'rubber' as well- I never realised at first. Once I found out by accident, I was ridiculously pleased about the whole concept. Stupid, but it's more natural than clicking back and forth between functions.

But not as easy as just hitting the 'E' key.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: radiator on 06 August, 2013, 07:21:15 AM
Quote from: Dog Deever on 06 August, 2013, 01:28:12 AM

But not as easy as just hitting the 'E' key.

IT IS?! Well I feel stupid. I just normally made one of the clickers a rubber, which in the hours since getting the Intuos which (for various reasons) doesn't have clickers on it's pen - I've found that it must have been my "ideal method" because pressing E or using the (still awesome) digi rubber seem much slower to me. It depends how much you've got your hands on the keyboard for the whole process though I suppose - I think I became a bit dependent on navigating around with the tablet.

And Flip - like the armour but the console has these strange patches of dark on it - how are you laying down your flats?

radiator

Yes, it is.

If you want to work at any kind of decent speed you'll need to be relying heavily on keyboard shortcuts.

My left hand is permanently hovering over the space bar for the 'hand' tool anyway, and other shortcuts are absolutely vital unless you want to spend half the time clicking on icons and scroll bars.

radiator

Not to mention essential modifier keys like Option, Alt and Control.

Once you have the tools you use the most committed to muscle memory you'll barely even need to look at the tool palette again or break workflow.

I don't really have a huge amount of use for the erase tool in any case.

radiator

Just read your post back and realised you're talking about the side buttons on the pen.

I always have these - and the touch panels on the tablet - permanently disabled as I just found that I constantly pressed them accidentally and they were more trouble than they're worth. But then that's probably more down to the weird, clawlike grip I hold the pen in!

Jim_Campbell

I always set the rocker switch on the stylus to the 'Brush Larger' and 'Brush Smaller' key strokes.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 August, 2013, 09:04:58 AM
I always set the rocker switch on the stylus to the 'Brush Larger' and 'Brush Smaller' key strokes.

That's actually a really good idea. The keyboard shortcut for brush size I discovered yesterday are the slightly inconvenient [ and ] keys way up the top there.

radiator

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 August, 2013, 09:04:58 AM

Cheers

Jim

Most people I know just hold Cntrl and click and use the slider to quickly adjust brush size.

I got into the habit of using the bracket keys - not really that inconvenient for as they are near the + and -, which I use a lot in conjunction with Command make for easy zooming in and out.

Other incredibly useful shortcuts I find are Command-D (deselect), D (set FG/BG colour swatches to Black/White), X (swap between FG/BG swatch), Command-H (hide/unhide guides/paths/selections), Hold Alt while using brush (eye dropper), F (cycle between view modes), Tab (toggle tools/palettes on/off), Command-U for to bring up Hue/Sat adjustment. The number keys for quickly setting layer opacity are really handy also.

There are many, many more - but they're burned so deep into my brain it's actually hard to consciously remember what they are.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 06 August, 2013, 09:37:56 AM
Most people I know just hold Cntrl and click and use the slider to quickly adjust brush size.

I hate contextual-menu-clicks. Despise 'em. I force myself to use it for 'Recent Fonts' in Illustrator because applying different font styles is a pain in AI, and occasionally to add a stroke to a selection in Photoshop.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Ghastly McNasty

First attempt at colouring. Time consuming but plenty of fun.

This page is from a Crusader strip, drawn by Bolt-01, soon to appear in the next issue of Massacre for Boys.