Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Woolly on 14 March, 2016, 07:56:39 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 13 March, 2016, 06:25:46 PM
I don't remember Linda Bellingham doing that...

Clearly a case of Oxo retconning the origins story of the cube to suit a modern audience  ;)

Coming soon:  All-Star Goddamn Oxo

EDIT - Fuck.  My 5000th post, and I use it to make a shit joke about stock.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

M.I.K.

Re: Oxo cubes

See also...

...peeling a banana from the bottom...

...using the serrated edge on a box of aluminium foil to shear of the section of foil you require...

...and...

...breaking a segment of Toblerone off by pushing the top of the segment inwards instead of pulling it away from the rest of the bar.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 March, 2016, 08:01:44 AM

Clearly a case of Oxo retconning the origins story of the cube to suit a modern audience  ;)

Congrats. And, keep in mind it was a shit comic-related joke
Lock up your spoons!

JayzusB.Christ

I've just found out that the Blankety Blank chequebook and pen was a silver trophy shaped like a chequebook, not an actual chequebook.  I've also just noticed the play on words - blank cheque.
Grud, I'm thick.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Modern Panther

When I was a kid, i thought the prize was a "cheque, book and pen".

I also thought that when something went "under the hammer" it got smashed up if no one bought it.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Modern Panther on 20 March, 2016, 04:26:33 PM
When I was a kid, i thought the prize was a "cheque, book and pen".

I also thought that when something went "under the hammer" it got smashed up if no one bought it.

I've also just realised that it was the 'subscribers' notebook and pen' thread that subconsciously inspired me to look up the blankety blank chequebook and pen.

Dash Decent

I've just seen the Judge Dan Francisco entry on Wikipedia.  It doesn't mention that his show was a play on "The Streets of San Francisco" (which it has an article on, of course: here).

Could it be that it went over the head of the person who wrote the entry?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 21 March, 2016, 11:49:52 AM
I've just seen the Judge Dan Francisco entry on Wikipedia.  It doesn't mention that his show was a play on "The Streets of San Francisco" (which it has an article on, of course: here).

This entry?  Doesn't matter if it went over the head of the person writing the entry or not - if it can't be supported by external citations then it shouldn't be in the article, even it's a pretty obvious pun (as long as you've heard of the original show, that is).  The name Dan Francisco is a bit more of an obvious pun though...

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 21 March, 2016, 01:28:07 PM

This entry?  Doesn't matter if it went over the head of the person writing the entry or not - if it can't be supported by external citations then it shouldn't be in the article, even it's a pretty obvious pun (as long as you've heard of the original show, that is).  The name Dan Francisco is a bit more of an obvious pun though...

That level of citation-probity hardly gels with the supposition later in the same entry that Francisco's election is a response to Obama's. The Streets of Dan Francisco is far more obviously a deliberate pun, and one that actually explains the character's bizarre name. See also: Barbara Hershey.

Proudhuff

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 March, 2016, 08:01:44 AM

could have been worse could have mentioned taking her up the OXO tower...
DDT did a job on me

amines2058

Quote from: Tordelback on 21 March, 2016, 01:59:42 PM

That level of citation-probity hardly gels with the supposition later in the same entry that Francisco's election is a response to Obama's. The Streets of Dan Francisco is far more obviously a deliberate pun, and one that actually explains the character's bizarre name. See also: Barbara Hershey.

Nooo.... why have a I never seen this before!! Barbara Hershey....Hershey Bar.  (Slams head into desk crying at own stupidity!)

Big_Dave

Quote from: amines2058 on 21 March, 2016, 04:58:20 PM
Quote from: Tordelback on 21 March, 2016, 01:59:42 PM

Nooo.... why have a I never seen this before!! Barbara Hershey....Hershey Bar.  (Slams head into desk crying at own stupidity!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Hershey

amines2058

So is our Hershey named after a chocloate bar or the Actress? Now I am confused.

Dandontdare

I think it's the actress - didn't she change her name to Barbara Seagull for a while after being possessed by the spirit of a seagull?

EDIT: yes she did - and she also "gave birth to their son, Free, who changed his name to Tom when he was nine years old" - now that's waht I call embarrssing mom syndrome!

TordelBack

Originally the confectioners, but if I remember correctly the 'Barbara' first name came from a readers' poll in the Meg.