Main Menu

Are we all too critical?

Started by Thread Zero, 23 December, 2001, 05:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

You know, I've been thinking...

It seems a few of you out here don't rate Prog 2002 that much.

Fair enough. We all have our opinion.

But I was wondering - do you think we criticize 2k too much. The sort of:

"This story is crap, this could be better etc."

I think we do a bit. I am guilty of it too!

Maybe we should be more positive. No matter whether we like or dislike a story, a writer, artist and letterer have taken the time to create it.

Maybe we should praise what it does have, rather than what it lacks.

At the end of the day, if we were given the opportunity, could we write, draw and letter any better?

Just a thought.

scojo

Leigh S

Very true, Scojo.  It is all too easy to attack, but less easy to constructively criticise something.  A balanced view, where you look for both the positives and negatives of any given strip will be more likely to be listened to as well!

That said, I couldn't sing as well as the blandest pop artist, but it wouldn't stop me criticising them!  Just because you couldn't do, doesn't mean you don't have a right to an opinion - just so long as it's justified. "so and so is crap" doesn't really help anyone - tell us why and you might just have a good point.

Thread Zero

Don't get me started on pop stars!

That show is seriously bad. Simon, one of the show's judges, must be related to Torquemada.

Now he really is evil!

scojo

paulvonscott

Well 2000AD has been crap for ten years (where's the anniversary prog?) and is only just starting to pick up so there has been a lot to be critical about.

I for one don't really know what I want anymore, but prog 2002 was pretty good.  Then there will be a special for the 25th anniversary (feb?) next year so that will be worth seeing.  Hopefully between now and then 2000AD will be good enough for me to keep buying.

As long as there is some consistency.  From late 80's onwards we have been promised stuff that is supposed to appear that will be great in the future while we suffer horrendous heiroglyphic filth in the present.  And when it turns up it is merely mediocre.

I think the only time people have been overly critical is with 'okay' strips such as Carver Hale (and a whole lot of others) which aren't as bad as people say.  Unfortunately 'okay' strips have made up 60-80% of 2000AD for the last couple of years.  But then again, that's better than the 'poor' strips which previously occupied those slots for a decade.

I have a feeling that overtly critical statements will start to drop off as 2000AD generally improves over the new year (except that most forums are full of people bitching anyway).  

It's 3am and all my fermented apple juice has dissapeared so please ignore all of the above if it makes no sense.

Thread Zero

I must admit Carver Hale was my worst story of 2001. Even worse than Helter Skelter.

I really genuinely loathed Carver Hale!

What exactly was this heiroglyphic filth you were referring to?

Laugh!

scojo

jont

Carver Hale wasn't bad at all. In fact I found it to be an interesting departure for the comic, featuring some solid, if not earth-shattering art.

Thread Zero

No way Jose. That story pooped worse than a open sewer in the summertime!

scojo