Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Robo-K33f himself, Mr Keith Richardson is my guest in the book club to chat about some classic British Comics including Von Hoffman's Invasion, the Vigilant, and some wonders to come from the Treasury of British Comics.

Listen in at
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2018/08/73-von-hoffmans-invasion.html

Eamonn Clarke

Episode 74 has it all: AlexF from the Heroes of 2000AD blog, cool summer jazz in the pub, and a great volume of science fiction thrill power from the Abnett and Culbard droids.

Enjoy:
http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2018/09/74-brink.html

TordelBack

That has to be one of the most wonderful pages in the history of the comic.  Everything in that great series - not just the first book - hinges on how you interpret that amazing final panel/backdrop.  Perfection.

Eamonn Clarke

Two doctors for the price of one, and two volumes of Nikolai Dante by @robbiegmorrison and @simonfraser in our @2000AD book club.
Listen in at
http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2018/09/75-tsar-wars.html

Eamonn Clarke

Apologies for Twitter @s

Chris Collazo is my guest to discuss the two volumes of Nikolai Dante that marked a real turning point for the character as written by Robbie Morrison, with great art by Simon Fraser, John Burns, Steve Yeowell and Simon Davis.

Colin YNWA

Another great Podcast and I always enjoy hearing conversation about my favourite 2000ad series (I reserve the right to change my mind on that statement at the drop of a hat).

One piece of discussion I found particularly interesting is the question which type of Dante story do you prefer the 'War' or 'Swashbuckle' and for me the answer is a cheat. I don't think you can seperate the two. The 'War' stuff is made all the more powerful and affecting by the 'Swashbuckle'.

Its a bit like the way 'Charley's War' is so effective and moving not just because the depiction of the brutality itself is so powerful, it really is, as with Dante. Rather its the way that this is juxeposed with Charley's innocence and naivety and the fact he truly represents the working class soldier who 'knows his place' and is forced to accept his place in the horror.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 September, 2018, 08:12:43 AM
Another great Podcast and I always enjoy hearing conversation about my favourite 2000ad series (I reserve the right to change my mind on that statement at the drop of a hat).

One piece of discussion I found particularly interesting is the question which type of Dante story do you prefer the 'War' or 'Swashbuckle' and for me the answer is a cheat. I don't think you can seperate the two. The 'War' stuff is made all the more powerful and affecting by the 'Swashbuckle'.

Its a bit like the way 'Charley's War' is so effective and moving not just because the depiction of the brutality itself is so powerful, it really is, as with Dante. Rather its the way that this is juxeposed with Charley's innocence and naivety and the fact he truly represents the working class soldier who 'knows his place' and is forced to accept his place in the horror.
Thanks for listening and for your insightful comments, Colin. It was perhaps a cheat of mine to ask Chris the question. Dante is great with both components.

Enjoyed your guest spot on the Space Spinner 2000 Annual.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 September, 2018, 01:58:11 PM
That has to be one of the most wonderful pages in the history of the comic.  Everything in that great series - not just the first book - hinges on how you interpret that amazing final panel/backdrop.  Perfection.

Cheers, TB. It's awesome isn't it?

Eamonn Clarke

And here is Chris's second grail pick.
Art by John Burns. Words by Robbie Morrison.
A great moment

SpaceSpinner2000

I've read the first 1000 progs and then from 1950 onwards, so Nikolai Dante is one of those thrills that I've read very little about (same with stuff like Red Seas, Caballistics, and the vast majority of Sinister Dexter, among others). Really excited to get there, enjoyed this episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 20 September, 2018, 10:56:17 PM
I've read the first 1000 progs and then from 1950 onwards, so Nikolai Dante is one of those thrills that I've read very little about (same with stuff like Red Seas, Caballistics, and the vast majority of Sinister Dexter, among others). Really excited to get there, enjoyed this episode!
Cheers, Conrad. Thanks for listening to stuff you haven't reached yet.

Dandontdare

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 20 September, 2018, 10:56:17 PM

When you're slogging through Babe Race 2000 and Big Dave, and wondering whether you really want to continue this podcasting lark, stay strong and remember that Nikolai Dante is just around the corner.