Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Abelard Snazz vs. Insurrection Round 2 Heat 17

Started by Colin YNWA, 31 January, 2022, 06:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Insurrection. Hands down for me. A powerful story with beautiful artwork. Also, it gave us Lawless!

Magnetica

I just love Abelard Snazz. It's absolutely one of the best and most memorable strips to appear on 2000AD, especially given there weren't actually that many episodes.

But Insurrection is in my top 3 Megazine thrills ever, possibly tied joint top with the other two, so it gets my vote, without even really needing to think that hard about it.

Funt Solo

Insurrection is great. It doesn't make any canonical sense, because MC-1 on Earth is always banging on about how short-handed they are, but they have an Imperium of Man sized space fleet with enough SJS to populate their own Mega-City. Still great. And it launched Lawless, which is the best thing in the Megazine.

Snazz is fun - an early Moore narrative breaking free of the constraints of first Robo-Tales and then Future Shocks. Really good, but not amaze-balls good.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Southstreeter

AlexF

Wasn't Insurrection meant to be set in the past, possibly even pre-Apocalypse War? At which time it's a bit more reasonable that they had the resources to mount these kinds of expeditions?

By this recknoing, Lawless takes place some years later, but probably still in a pre-Day of Chaos era. I don't recall either story ever mentioning any Earth dates, mind.

Or perhaps there's a tale to tell of some sort of corruption, whereby the SJS team in charge of intergalactic affairs was siphoning off all the money gained from those offworld colonies/mining concerns, so it was funneled back into funding ever more Space Marines, and not going into the coffers of MC1 directly...

The same department that figured Evilman Khurtz would be a perfect fit as Chief Warden of Titan back in the Purgatory days...

Colin YNWA

I got the impression, though heavens knows were from, that Insurrection and then Lawless were actually set in the future of the Dredd timeline. I could very well be wrong mind?

Magnetica

I seem to recall reading that Dan Abnett was being deliberated vague about when in the Dredd timeline Insurrection and I guess by extension Lawless we're actually set.

IndigoPrime

Colin YNWA

A lot going on here and while we have a clear leader its far, far from one way traffic. Last chance to honour these two fine thrills with your vote. I'll count up and announce the result in the morning.

Link Prime

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 31 January, 2022, 10:11:03 AM
The sheer resources Mega City One seems to have for its space army never made any sense to me, but it is an absolutely top tier thrill.

The annual US military budget is approx $700 Billion.
I could suspend my disbelief when reading Insurrection.

CalHab

Warhammer 40k Insurrection. A top story, improved by its all-time-great follow up. Snazz is enjoyable, but far from essential.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

At first it looked like this was going to be close. The opening exchanges were toe to toe, one blow to one blow. Then this insurrectionists took hold and stormed the captial of Votelandia. And while Abelard Snazz saw...saw... Robots... small voting robots and we all appalled his plan and the fun it brought. Well in the end the Robots were too smart and decide to pop over to another thread and try to vote for London Falling only to find their little robot fingers too small to type and... oh look

Insurrection

wins and gets through to the 3rd Round. Of course it does its bloody brilliant and an important thrill in the Megazine and Thargs Kingdom and as fun as Abelard adventures were they are a good distraction and an entree to his greater works.