Main Menu

FFT - What if? Derby Week Tie 10 - Savage vs Invasion

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 September, 2022, 06:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Sponsored by 2000ad in Stages - see links below.

Savage - more info

VS

Invasion - more info

Phew a Derby in Derby week. What if we'd got the derby ties I always hoped for? First up a Bill Savage derby that needs little introduction. Except to say I'll pose a secondary question. Was Savage the surprise thrill of the tourney? Was for me... anyway I digress. Do you like your Bill all Quack Quack or black black?

b]To Vote[/b] Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 29th September and the winner gets a place ... well nowt this is just for fun.

What on Earth is ALL of this?

Hold on I thought all this nonsense was over? Well yeah but... see well I've explained that

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Magnetica

rogue69

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

AlexF

Obvs they're similar but I find it super hard to compare these! The joy of Invasion is in short bursts of absurdly OTT Volg-murder, with a bit of class-war bickering.
The joy of Savage is in epxloring the psychology of being a certain kind of patriot who will stop at nothing to fight against his oppressors. Savage is surely 'better', and certainly easir to read in large chunks - but I'll be damned if I haven't gained more moments of great glee from reading Invasion.

Greatest 2000AD thrill that never featured on the cover.

IndigoPrime

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

As IndigoPrime says, they are so completely different that it's very hard to choose. I'd be more inclined to vote Savage if Pat had finished it. As it stands, I'm going for INVASION because when I was seven I'd never read anything like it. And I always wanted a TV version with a Porridge-era Ronnie Barker as Bill.

SBT

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

Quote from: AlexF on 26 September, 2022, 09:52:46 AM
Invasion.

Wow I didn't know that, as I wasn't a 2000AD reader at the time. That's quite incredible.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Magnetica on 26 September, 2022, 10:55:55 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 26 September, 2022, 09:52:46 AM
Invasion.

Wow I didn't know that, as I wasn't a 2000AD reader at the time. That's quite incredible.

Of the 51 progs of the initial run of Invasion, 6 were taken up by Dan Dare as part of the strip (46-51) and another 25 were used up by the Supercover Saga poster / text story gimmick (19-43).

Mind you, that still leaves 20 where Invasion didn't get a look-in. He does manage to sneak his way onto the cover of prog #13 though:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

nxylas

Savage for me. I bought the discounted 45th anniversary bundle featuring the collected editions of all the stories featured in prog 2. Reading Invasion in that format really brought home to me how repetitive the stories were. They started to introduce some series arcs later on, but initially it was always the same plot: the Volgs would unveil some new weapon or vehicle, Bill Savage would storm in with his resistance fighters, say something cockernee, then blow it up. Rinse and repeat. Savage at least tried to add some depth to the character.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!