Main Menu

FFT - What if? Derby Week Tie 12- Skizz vs DR & Quinch

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 September, 2022, 06:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Have to be honest was expecting this one to be a lot closer. Not so and it was clearly

DR & Quinch

by some margin.

AlexF

Interesting! I wonder if it's because SkIIzz and SkIIIzz especially were not amazing, whereas all of DR & Quinch really was excellent.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 30 September, 2022, 11:57:49 AM
Interesting! I wonder if it's because SkIIzz and SkIIIzz especially were not amazing, whereas all of DR & Quinch really was excellent.

That's my guess. Though there is much to love about both.

broodblik

Quote from: AlexF on 30 September, 2022, 11:57:49 AM

That was my rational, if it was just Skizz I would have voted differently
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

For me this vote was completely based on nostalgia, not having read either recently and possibly not since they were published.

So it's a mid fifties me remembering what a teenage me thought of them. And teenage me probably thought Skizz was a bit slow and lacking in action, whereas DR & Quinch was hilarious. Especially the T Shirt my brother had.

If I read them now, I may well have a different opinion.

IndigoPrime

I imagine so. Re-reading D.R. & Quinch in the UC was a bit... um. I mean, it wasn't another Robo-Hunter, but let's say it didn't chime with me like it did when I was a kid. (Skizz still mostly works, despite the OTT evil bloke. The second sequel is especially awful, mind.)

Magnetica

And I'm sure what we were laughing at back then would be considered completely un-PC now.

For example "Eat plutonium death, you disgusting alien weirdos" etc. Don't think they would get away with that these days.

Funt Solo

I still love DR & Quinch. I voted for it over Skizz because it's more fun.

It's like 2000 AD vs. the Mona Lisa. Or Viz vs. Private Eye. Tiswas vs. Swap Shop.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++