Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Endangered Species

My main man John Rhys-Davies in full bantering-cop mode, Eric Roberts being Eric Roberts, and aliens treating Earth like a game preserve. Tons of fun, in other words.

The thing I took away from this, though, is how hard some movies try to make their Eastern European filming locations look like the USA. "Endangered Species" is not one of those movies. It felt like a cheap computer game, that couldn't afford to program road signs or anything other than the outlines of streets and buildings.

Colin Zeal

Just watched best of the best. It hasn't become a good film in the years since it was made, but there's something about it I like. The best thing is that with a bit of cheating I can add best of the best 2 to my list of"sequals where the hero from the first film is killed off in the second one' it's cheating because Chris Penn isn't the lead character in botb2 but I've been waiting years to add a fil to iron eagle 2 and maniac cop 2.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 13 March, 2015, 10:33:37 PM
Just watched best of the best. It hasn't become a good film in the years since it was made, but there's something about it I like. The best thing is that with a bit of cheating I can add best of the best 2 to my list of"sequals where the hero from the first film is killed off in the second one' it's cheating because Chris Penn isn't the lead character in botb2 but I've been waiting years to add a fil to iron eagle 2 and maniac cop 2.
Road a House 2
We never really die.

JamesC

Is that the Italian version?

Professor Bear

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 13 March, 2015, 10:33:37 PM

Iron Eagle 2 doesn't really count as the character comes back in Iron Eagle 4, but Beneath the Planet of the Apes is probably the best example.  Off the top of me head there's also Friday the 13th part 2, GI Joe 2 (Retaliation), Kickboxer 2, Maniac Cop 2, XXX 2 (State of the Union), Ewoks: The Battle For Endor, Omen 2, and the classic Mortal Kombat 2: Annihilation.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 12 March, 2015, 12:08:48 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 March, 2015, 09:51:56 PM
I prefer the remake of Dawn, which I found really scary. It gave me nightmares for weeks.

To think I used to respect you, I used to like your posts. I feel betrayed, you've made me feel so dirty and used...

To be clear, I find any zombie film terrifying. I was unsettled by Star Trek: First Contact.
Lock up your spoons!

Buttonman

Coherence - Some good ideas but a bit wordy with not much in the way of characterisation. Looks like it was made for forty bucks.

Across 110th Street - 70's robbery pic with a miscast Anthony Quinn in the lead. Some great bloody scenes and some of the best pimp wear you'll ever see.

url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183921/?ref_=rvi_tt]The Vicious Kind[/url]
- I like Adam Scott but this 'people with issues' borefest should be avoided.

The Gambler
Remake of the superior James Caan original - Marky Mark should stick to selling pants.

The Imitation Game Disappointed in the code breaking drama. Overacted and simplistic to the point of ridiculousness - 'what if we try this...ping! - the war is won!'

The Rewrite 'The Real Shite' would be a more apt title. Hugh Grant does it again as a jaded screen writer who finds love when he starts a class for aspiring writers.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Buttonman on 15 March, 2015, 09:22:46 AM
The Imitation Game Disappointed in the code breaking drama. Overacted and simplistic to the point of ridiculousness - 'what if we try this...ping! - the war is won!'
You've never done anything in the name of science, have you? :lol:

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 15 March, 2015, 08:57:42 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 12 March, 2015, 12:08:48 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 March, 2015, 09:51:56 PM
I prefer the remake of Dawn, which I found really scary. It gave me nightmares for weeks.

To think I used to respect you, I used to like your posts. I feel betrayed, you've made me feel so dirty and used...

To be clear, I find any zombie film terrifying. I was unsettled by Star Trek: First Contact.

Its too late, there's nothing you can say to redeem this. You and my giant friend Phil who I used to share many a drunken conversation about zombie films - dead to me, both of you.

Mardroid

Burke and Hare

Manages to be dark, gruesome and light-hearted all in one.

Good stuff.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 February, 2015, 10:34:16 PM

Interesting to see 3 R-rated films occupy top spots at the US box-office: 1,2 & 4.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2015&wknd=07&p=.htm

And Kingsman approaches $300 million. R rated comic films can make money too - even with fuck-all promotion.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=secretservice.htm

blackmocco

Who knew the one thing that could have helped Dredd was having Mark Millar involved...?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Hawkmumbler

I think a large part of it has to do with Gazelle. People seem to really like the idea of a disabled women (of Eastern Asian decent) whose disability is simultaneously never brought up by the other characters and who is in a position of power due to how she utilizes it.

People like strong female characters in an age when most are cut and past archetypes.

shaolin_monkey

I watched Cloverfield again the other night.  The characters in it still annoy the hell outta me (no sympathy for any of them), but once you're past the party at the start and the mayhem begins it's a decent monster movie. 

There are some great moments, such as the tail on the bridge, the army strolling on past trying to blow the crap out of it, and the whole 'I don't feel good', 'she's been bitten!', 'KerSPLATT' scene.

shaolin_monkey

Oh, and I watched Robot and Frank on Netflix too, about an old cat burglar slowly losing his mind (presumably to dementia) who uses a robot carer to pull off one last job. That was surprisingly good, and very touching.  I did not see the end coming at all.