Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

It might have made a good TV series... in the grin of KUNG FU but with claymore! Pure fried gold!. I wonder why they never did that.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 November, 2020, 01:54:58 PM
It might have made a good TV series... in the grin of KUNG FU but with claymore! Pure fried gold!. I wonder why they never did that.

Obviously because "there can only be one", so as Lambert would be too expensive then they'd need to concoct some half-assed explanation for why "there can only be one... except for all these others."
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

I suppose the only good that might have come out of a sequel would have been non-comics work for at least one of Tharg's finest, who might then have gone on to help create the greatest SF movie of the past decade. Luckily that happened anyway.

Dandontdare

Live-Die-Repeat: Edge of Oblivion. Fun eyeball candy with some of the freakiest-looking aliens I can remember, lots of cool hardware, stunts and explosions and Tom Cruise doing his usual fine job playing Tom Cruise. Not Emily Blunt's usual fare, but she was very good.

Instantly forgettable, but it passed another evening of lockdown well enough.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 November, 2020, 07:24:04 PM
Live-Die-Repeat: Edge of Oblivion. Fun eyeball candy with some of the freakiest-looking aliens I can remember, lots of cool hardware, stunts and explosions and Tom Cruise doing his usual fine job playing Tom Cruise. Not Emily Blunt's usual fare, but she was very good.

I really liked this, and I think there is talk of a sequel.
Lock up your spoons!

Rately

Great movie, with so many great character actors in it as well.

Sequel is in pre-production, apparently.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rately on 03 November, 2020, 09:32:24 AM

Spoiler: [spoiler]It's the same movie, played backwards.[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rately

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 November, 2020, 09:39:27 AM
Quote from: Rately on 03 November, 2020, 09:32:24 AM

Spoiler: [spoiler]It's the same movie, played backwards.[/spoiler]

Christ, Jim! I was looking forward to watching it unspoiled!  :lol:

Bolt-01

The book it was based on was just as much fun too. No idea how they'll work a sequel, but that's never stopped 'em before.

Trooper McFad

Watched this recently too and for the most part I really enjoyed it til the final scene and I was confused!!!'[spoiler]why did it take him back to a different point in the "past" and not back to the same point he returned to throughout the film? Then I gave up trying to make sense other than it makes for a happy ending[/spoiler]
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

wedgeski

I found this quite a long way from instantly forgettable! One of the best original sci-fi's of the past few years IMO. We've watched it many times on BR.

Dandontdare

All these Tom Cruise sci-fi action flicks just merge into one in my mind. The "groundhog day" concept was interesting, but made no sense at all really if you think about it. Aside from that it was just (very well done) bangy-bangy whoosh action. TC is a great actor when he puts his mind to it, but I never get a sense of different characters with his action stuff - he's just Cruise in different suits.

Dandontdare

I fancied more of the same so I gave Oblivion a go. Oblivishite more like.

Mr Cruise deploys his fine action skills and his two facial expressions (goofy grin and brow-furrowed puzzlement) perfectly well, and the tech, action and effects were first rate, but the story was laughable. The big reveal was obvious from the opening monologue but took over a hour to get to, and every plot twist was painfully foreshadowed and predictable.

The Legendary Shark

On learning the sad news, I've treated myself to a Connery Bond marathon.

It was great - and a little bit poignant.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Trooper McFad

Watched Commando last night and it's classic bad 80s action movie and a need to watch when a teenager growing up in that decade just to say you seen the ripsaw blade kill!!.
It's Arnie season on film 4 so will give a few more of his films another view to see how well or bad they hold up. I hadn't rewatched this since the early 90s and I have to say Commando does not hold up well. (Some of his others, in my mind, do - Terminator, Running Man & Predator- and they could even get away with a remake considering the effects back then - but not with Arnie)
Still not Oscar caliber but entertainment nonetheless.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!