Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Abrams back at the helm is a major reason I still haven't watched that film.  As someone else pointed out, Abrams can't finish anything.  He lays plot threads and mysteries and hooks and all his mystery bollocks, but doesn't know what to do with it.  So I am not surprised that I've heard nothing but condemnation when it comes to him attempting to wrap up a trilogy.

I may one day watch it when I'm coerced by someone else, but unless that happens I think I can live a happier life not having seen it.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 28 June, 2020, 04:48:20 PM
Freaks on Netflix.

Pretty good, I could imagine this as a 2000AD limited series.
Although it is a bit similar to Stephen King's Firestarter.  :-*

I enjoyed Freaks as well.
I've also been dipping into "hidden gems" tab on Netflix and watched a good few on there. They change the list every now and again but since lock down I've enjoyed:
Kayaking
Funny Cow
The siege of Jadotville
Beasts of no Nation
Shadow
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pictsy on 28 June, 2020, 05:54:14 PM
I may one day watch it when I'm coerced by someone else, but unless that happens I think I can live a happier life not having seen it.

Yeah. Having not really enjoyed either of the previous two movies, I very deliberately gave this one a miss. I never watch a movie with the intention of disliking it — life's too short. When this popped up on Disney+, I hoped my expectations had been sufficiently pre-lowered but apparently not.

I'm glad lots of other people enjoyed it more than I did, though.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 28 June, 2020, 06:01:43 PM
Freaks on Netflix.

Pretty good, I could imagine this as a 2000AD limited series.
Although it is a bit similar to Stephen King's Firestarter.  :-*

I enjoyed Freaks as well.
I've also been dipping into "hidden gems" tab on Netflix and watched a good few on there. They change the list every now and again but since lock down I've enjoyed:
Kayaking
Funny Cow
The siege of Jadotville
Beasts of no Nation
Shadow

Should check before posting (fecking auto correct)

It's Kajaki not Kayaking 😣
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Mardroid

The Visit

It's one of those first person video perspective films, something I was a bit reticent about but ended up working well.

It concerns 2 youngsters going to visit their grandparents (estranged due to a falling out with their mother) and what happens on their visit. The video is essentially their documentary of their visit, as well as serving another function...

A very enjoyable if rather unsettling and disturbing film in places. It made me jump a couple of times although it's not just about the jump scares. The eldsters in the film are really good actors and the kids aren't that annoying. (Well the boy is a bit, but he's kind of supposed to be.)

Dandontdare

There is a limit to how many times I can rewatch Marvel movies, Dr Who and Rick & Morty during lockdown, so I've been trying to expand my horizons a bit.

John Wick I'm usually not much of a fan of bloodthirsty revenge dramas but I couldn't ignore all the good stuff I've heard about this and it was free on Amazon Prime. I loved it! The film lives or dies by Keanu, and for me that guy can't put a foot wrong. Part 3 is free on Amazon but I may shell out £3.49 to rent part 2 first.

Booksmart Charming and funny coming of age drama with Beanie Feldstein and Kaitlyn Dever. If you can squint a bit and pretend everyone is actually 18, this film has a lot of heart and some funny moments.

Downsizing Great concept but disappointing. My attention kept wandering to the ramifications of this tech, and I came up with about a dozen stories more interesting than what was happening on screen. The supporting cast was good, but I find Matt Damon a charisma-free black hole of dullness. The two rich characters were unconvincing too - I think they were supposed to be eccentric and quirky, but they came across as assholes for the first half of the film and then somehow morphed into genial grandpas.

Nice Guys Unlike Keanu, Russell Crowe is someone I don't particularly want to like, as I think he's a dick, but he's great in this. Could've done with less of the precocious kid, but good fun

pictsy

What We Left Behind

Documentary about DS9 and a hypothetical Season 8 opening episode.
I love DS9, it is one of my favourite TV shows and is my favourite Star Trek.  It was nice to see the actors, but kinda sad to see the now dead ones.  It had a few funny moments.  Nevertheless it was meh. 

There wasn't a whole lot of substance behind it and it did, on occasions, resemble the vacuous, surface level shallowness of Behind The Music. 

The hypothetical episode was not good either and I'm happy that they don't have an opportunity to make it.  Frankly, too much time has passed. 

In the end it just made me feel sad.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 24 June, 2020, 06:41:59 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 23 June, 2020, 05:59:41 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 22 June, 2020, 04:50:29 PM
Twister, which I've never seen but is one of my wife's favourite films from her youth so whenever it came up she was incredulous that I'd ever watched it. Finally sorted that, and it's pretty damn good! Always love Paxton and him and Helen Hunt are both excellent, pretty much all the effects hold up surprisingly well, properly exciting and also very touching in places. Glad I finally saw it!

It is great fun, and I'm sad that I'm unlikely to ever see it in the cinema again. Feeling your sternum vibrate to the roar of the wind adds to the experience!

Regards,

Robin

I imagine it made a fantastic big screen big soundsystem movie! Wish I'd seen it at the time myself now.

Twister is being remade for 2022.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a32964576/twister-remake-back-to-the-future-frank-marshall/

Lock up your spoons!

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 29 June, 2020, 09:48:12 AM

The hypothetical episode was not good either and I'm happy that they don't have an opportunity to make it.  Frankly, too much time has passed. 

Yeah, wouldn't be something I'd like to see either.
DS9 had an almost perfect ending (switching the fates of Damarr and Garak would be the only change I'd make).

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Apestrife on 28 June, 2020, 09:36:59 AM
ju on the grudge had a moment or two in the beginning which got me thinking "this is a bit creepy", but then it got lost on me. Never found the kid painted white scary at all. Still, I enjoyed the film's atmosphere. Has a nice little weird vibe going for it. Just wish it could'v been scary as well.

It's been many years but I do remember it putting the scares up me, with one scare in particular sticking with me for a while - [spoiler]there's a point where a character hides like a kid under a bed sheet from the ghost in their flat, only to find the ghost is under the bed sheet with her. That I thought was really effective, making that safe space where since childhood we'd instinctively hide from the scary things no longer safe I thought was a great horror movie move[/spoiler]!

Nice to see people discovering Freaks on Netflix too, I saw it at a festival a while back and knowing absolutely nothing about what genre it was or what it was about going in there was a lot of mystery and I had a great time watching the plot reveal itself. It surprised me a lot, has a load of fresh feeling ideas that movie.

I watched The Jungle Book, the semi-live action Favreau one. It was really good I thought, really enjoyed it. I've always held a bit of a grudge against the animated one because as a kid I went to see Vice Versa with Fred Savage and was really excited to see it but the projectionist melted the reel 5 minutes in and they put on The Jungle Book instead as an apology. I was really upset about that, but that isn't really The Jungle Book's fault. Anyway, this was good.

repoman

Attempted to watch Exorcism at 60000 Feet.  Absolutely rubbish.  Bailed after 30 mins.

Tjm86

Quote from: repoman on 29 June, 2020, 10:45:44 AM
Attempted to watch Exorcism at 60000 Feet.  Absolutely rubbish.  Bailed after 30 mins.

Ooooh clever .... saw what you did there ....   ;)

paddykafka

Freaks on Netflix.

Pretty good, I could imagine this as a Welcome to the 2000AD Online Forum.*

Fixed that for ya. "We Will Make You One Of Us...."

Mardroid

After the review above, I watched Freaks yesterday.

Yeah, that was very good. [spoiler]I enjoy how you can easily think it will be one thing at the start.[/spoiler]

Robin Low

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 29 June, 2020, 10:00:58 AMTwister is being remade for 2022.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a32964576/twister-remake-back-to-the-future-frank-marshall/

I bet the only thing they keep from the original (aside from a few twisters) is the cow.

Regards,

Robin