Main Menu

All-time classic films of recent years

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 29 September, 2020, 08:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I think another point is that almost all of the 'classic' movie moments we think of are from wholly original movies - bit harder to replicate the novelty when almost everything nowadays is a prequel, sequel, reboot, remake or an adaptation of an already wildly popular book series*

*and yes, I know The Godfather, Apocalypse Now and Goodfellas are all technically book adaptations, but it's a bit different to something like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games or Fifty Shades of Grey where the filmmakers just have to make a slavish, box-ticking adaptation for a massive built-in audience.

abelardsnazz

We Need to Talk About Kevin and Boyhood both stick in my mind as films that I was absolutely gobsmacked by when I left the cinema. I'm also a fan of Nicolas Winding Refn, but also aware he's a very Marmite kind of film-maker.

radiator

Quote from: Mister Pops on 30 September, 2020, 09:30:34 AM
Quote from: radiator on 29 September, 2020, 09:04:30 PM
It's the same reason we'll never again see a pop artist as big as Michael Jackson or Madonna at their peak, or an athlete as famous as Michael Jordan.

I'd agree on the popstar front, but there have been several globally branded sporters since Jordan. I have no interest in Tennis, but I know Roger Federer is a Swiss man who is very good at it and that Serena Williams married that guy from Reddit. I actively dislike golf* but I know who Tiger Woods is.

I'd guess the majority of this forum don't really follow football, so you might not be aware that you can go almost anywhere in the world and spark a debate over whether Ronaldo or Messi is better**.

I dunno man. I think it's hard to overstate just how huge Michael Jordan was back in the day. He wasn't just world famous in the way Serena Williams or Tiger Woods are - he was an actual superstar. LeBron James is a big deal right now, but are people going to be wearing Nike Air James in 30 years time?

JamesC

Just thought of another modern classic. I mean, it's twenty years old but it still feels modern to me.
The Blair Witch Project.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: radiator on 30 September, 2020, 08:04:41 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 30 September, 2020, 09:30:34 AM
Quote from: radiator on 29 September, 2020, 09:04:30 PM
It's the same reason we'll never again see a pop artist as big as Michael Jackson or Madonna at their peak, or an athlete as famous as Michael Jordan.

I'd agree on the popstar front, but there have been several globally branded sporters since Jordan. I have no interest in Tennis, but I know Roger Federer is a Swiss man who is very good at it and that Serena Williams married that guy from Reddit. I actively dislike golf* but I know who Tiger Woods is.

I'd guess the majority of this forum don't really follow football, so you might not be aware that you can go almost anywhere in the world and spark a debate over whether Ronaldo or Messi is better**.

I dunno man. I think it's hard to overstate just how huge Michael Jordan was back in the day. He wasn't just world famous in the way Serena Williams or Tiger Woods are - he was an actual superstar. LeBron James is a big deal right now, but are people going to be wearing Nike Air James in 30 years time?

Lebron? You have just named another sportsman that only yanks would care about. I know how big MJ was, but no one outside the states gave a shit about how good he was at his insignificant American game. Beckham never dominated his sport the same way MJ did, Beckham never had his own brand of boots, but fitbaw is bigger than any yank sport will ever be, and Beckham is probably bigger than MJ. And Beckham is not that highly regarded a footballist.

No American baller will ever be as famous as the greater soccerists
You may quote me on that.

JamesC

Well MJ was in Space Jam and Becks leant his name to Bend it like Beckham but neither were as good as Pele's Escape to Victory.

Link Prime

Strictly 21st Century, I'd have to say:

Fellowship of the Ring
Fury Road
Shaun of the Dead

I dunno man. I think it's hard to overstate just how huge Michael Jordan was back in the day.

An aside - I would highly recommend the 10 part Michael Jordan documentary on Netflix - The Last Dance. Basketball fan or not.

Rately

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 October, 2020, 09:44:11 AM
Strictly 21st Century, I'd have to say:

Fellowship of the Ring
Fury Road
Shaun of the Dead

I dunno man. I think it's hard to overstate just how huge Michael Jordan was back in the day.

An aside - I would highly recommend the 10 part Michael Jordan documentary on Netflix - The Last Dance. Basketball fan or not.

Not a fan of Basketball, but that Documentary is superb. So much human drama, and the sight of a grown man crying when he realises he had no friends on the team because he was pushing everybody to his level brought a tear to my eye.

Drive. Absolutely beautifully shot, with a soundtrack that might be as important as anything that actually occurs on screen.

sheridan

Quote from: radiator on 30 September, 2020, 07:40:01 PM
QuoteI think there's plenty of animated stuff that counts as classic. Toy Story and the like.

Very true - however almost all of those you mention are well over twenty years old. Good shout with Pixar though - I think a lot of their films reach the bar for 'timeless classic', especially ones like Up and Wall-E.

Good call on Up!  I think I prefer Wall-E, but Up has more 'moments'.

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I was delighted to find Children of Men on Netflix last night.  Brilliant stuff - thanks for the recommendations.  Kind of a Soylent Green for the times, and seems more relevant than ever in these dark days of Trump and Brexit.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rately

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 October, 2020, 01:17:11 PM
Well, I was delighted to find Children of Men on Netflix last night.  Brilliant stuff - thanks for the recommendations.  Kind of a Soylent Green for the times, and seems more relevant than ever in these dark days of Trump and Brexit.

It is a really special film.

The kind of movie that gut-punches you every time you watch, and that impact never fades.

I, Cosh

Quote from: JamesC on 30 September, 2020, 10:50:07 PM
Well MJ was in Space Jam and Becks leant his name to Bend it like Beckham but neither were as good as Pele's Escape to Victory.
Neymar's part in Triple XXX: The Return of XXXander Cage is very under-appreciated.

The name I'd have expected to see mentioned is Paul WS Anderson. Seemed like There Will Be Blood was the thing everyone was excited about ten years ago.

Other than that, Fury Road and Moonlight are the ones which will go the distance.
We never really die.

Dandontdare

Post-2000, the one that stands out is the Lord of the Rings trilogy - that's going to be a classic for ever

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 October, 2020, 07:19:12 PM
Post-2000, the one that stands out is the Lord of the Rings trilogy - that's going to be a classic for ever

Yeah. It's flawed, but the flaws are part of the thing I love — it's not some plastic corporate product, and we'll probably not see its like again. I love it for its flaws, the occasional wobbliness of the SFX and I'll forgive it the occasional surrender to Jackson's worse impulses as a film-maker, simply because it doesn't feel like a committee made it (see: The Hobbit movies for what we could have got*).

It was a remarkable confluence of corporate events that led to New Line being forced to make movie that Warner would never have made, and a happy coincidence that that led to them deciding to give the director of Bad Taste and Brain Dead $300M to spend eight years making three movies of a supposedly unfilmable book on the furthest part of the planet from Hollywood.

* I don't hate the Hobbit movies. In fact, there's quite a lot I like about them, but those things are little gems picked of a big corporate movie splot.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 October, 2020, 07:33:26 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 October, 2020, 07:19:12 PM

Yeah. It's flawed, but the flaws are part of the thing I love — it's not some plastic corporate product, and we'll probably not see its like again. I love it for its flaws, the occasional wobbliness of the SFX and I'll forgive it the occasional surrender to Jackson's worse impulses as a film-maker, simply because it doesn't feel like a committee made it (see: The Hobbit movies for what we could have got*).

It was a remarkable confluence of corporate events that led to New Line being forced to make movie that Warner would never have made, and a happy coincidence that that led to them deciding to give the director of Bad Taste and Brain Dead $300M to spend eight years making three movies of a supposedly unfilmable book on the furthest part of the planet from Hollywood.

* I don't hate the Hobbit movies. In fact, there's quite a lot I like about them, but those things are little gems picked of a big corporate movie splot.

I rewatched the first hobbit film last week and it's got all the good stuff in. The longer it went on, the more extraneous guff was added - I'd love to see a re-edit down to about 2 hours max cutting out anything not in the book, and trimming some of the stuff which was. He basically tried to make the same film about a very different book. A 9+ hour trilogy from an epic, sprawling 3 book series? Fine. The same from a children's novella? Not fine.