Main Menu

Is Millar bad for children?

Started by Floyd-the-k, 19 July, 2007, 12:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floyd-the-k

My son is borrowing books fromt he library and bringing them home to read. I'm over the moon about this, as most parents would be (like a lot of parental thrills, it's completely predictable and nothing special but great for me).
 Anyway, he bought home a cartoon network book of Superman comics by Mark Millar.  I've been reading them with him and they're quite good, but I keep remembering that Millar is loathed here for his Judge Dredd work. So I thought I'd ask you: is reading Millar's comics bad for Roy's young mind? Are Millar's other Superman comics any good?

well?

Art

Never read them, but I've heard they're actually quite good, and refreshingly free of Millarisms.

And I'd argue that there are at least a couple of things Millar has done that are of genius level quality and are absolutely worth reading, even if the rest of the time he has a tendency to produce dreck.

Roger Godpleton

Superman Red Son is essential reading.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Bico

Miller's run on Superman Adventures was where he was whipped like a dog by the various editors and licencing people to make sure he produced what he was being paid for - self-contained stories devoid of innuendo or excessive sexual or violent content.  No ego-trips there.
Of course, it's probably nothing to do with the fact that at that stage, SA was the only regualar paying job he could get - fuck it up, and the next stop was either the dole office or McDonalds.

It should be pointed out that most of the DC Adventures books are great all-ages books - the 'proper' Justice League comic has hit such a barrel-scraping low lately that DC have finally hired the guy who wrote the cartoon spin-off Justice League book - rather than being seen as dumbing-down, it's being hailed as a genius move by most fans.

DavidXBrunt

Yup, Millar with boundries on what he could do produced some of the best, most fun Superman stories around at the time and since. They're great. I have a soft spot for his last issue, that had 22 short stories.

The Animated spin offs are belting, and well worth a couple of quid.

Trout

Yep - just about any DC-related animation is bloody good stuff.

I picked up season one of Justice League Unlimited and loved it a lot.

Floyd, I'd hope your library is classifying things as suitable for children.
Just keep Roy away from The Unfunnies - at all costs. It looks cartoony, but it is not.

- Trout

VampiraJen

and avoid ultimate x-men.  shudder.....

davidjatt

I read Millar's 2000AD work as a 5 year old.  It was ok to my mind back then.  His stories were never really my favourite, though.  I always preferred the Garth Ennis ones back then.  Of course, I usually only read Dredd at that point.

Floyd-the-k

thanks for the tips.  These stories are quite good and I'll look out for Red Son.

Satanist

Red Son is a great read.

I also like Chosen.

Avoid Wanted as the end will make you want to kick his head in!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Art

I'm a sucker for Ultimates, even as it falls further and further away from actually being good.

It probably helps that, unlike the X-Men, I'venever read the Avengers.

Art

(Oh, and we should add the obligatory mention of that Swamp Thing story with the nazis.)

Tiplodocus

I've got the first two ULTIMATES books and I think they are pretty good. There's a couple of annoying things in them but overall a jolly good read with some absolutely stonking art (is it Brian Hitch?)

Ultimate X-Men did have some good story telling moments but wasn't anywhere near as good.

I can never remember - was Milalr responsible for MANIAC 5? I rather enjoyed that.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Art

I actually even quite liked that Silo thing in the EE.

Tiplodocus

I've got the first two ULTIMATES books and I think they are pretty good. There's a couple of annoying things in them but overall a jolly good read with some absolutely stonking art (is it Brian Hitch?)

Ultimate X-Men did have some good story telling moments but wasn't anywhere near as good.

I can never remember - was Milalr responsible for MANIAC 5? I rather enjoyed that.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!