Main Menu

The Birmingham Comics Festival

Started by Ghastly McNasty, 17 January, 2015, 10:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghastly McNasty

2 comics fests in Brum this year! They really are spoiling us.

Edgbaston Stadium, home to the Warwickshire County Cricket Club since 1882, and the second largest venue of its kind in the UK, is to play host to the City of Birmingham's inaugural Comics Festival on Saturday April 18th 2015.

Eamonn Clarke

Droids Ian Edginton, Michael Carroll, Richard Elson, Jim Alexander and Ian Kennedy on guest list so far
also
British comics creators Lew Stringer, Keith Page, Laura Howell, Al Davison and Hunt Emerson.

http://www.thecomicfestival.com/guests

Bolt-01

And the mighty FQP will be at both of them.

Dunk!

The other being ICE on Sept the 5th?

Checking I've got me dates right.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Dunk!

Ian Kennedy? May get all fanboy gushy for the first time since the Lakes International.
"Trust we"

CrazyFoxMachine

I'll not be at ICE but I'll definitely be at this one!

sbelmont

Hi

I'm attending both Birmingham events. There is also an event called 'Comics Uncovered' for budding droids happening the day after ICE (6th Sept) at the same venue (joint tickets can be got for both at the link below):-

'Comics Uncovered is a unique conference aimed specifically at creatives who are serious about a career in comics. Whether you are a school leaver or a seasoned professional there are events for you at the conference.

Our amazing venue in Birmingham is equipped with state of the art technology for creating inspiring, educational and fun events.

Some of the biggest names in comics today will be sharing with delegates their wealth of experience in the various disciplines involved in the creation, publication and marketing of comics and graphic novels.
So if you want to be an artist, writer or even an editor, there is an event at the conference just for you.

There are also one to one portfolio reviews from top publishers for budding artists and it's all rounded off by an exclusive networking party going on into the evening, enabling you to cement those important contacts made during the day.

Guest Speakers include:

CHARLIE ADLARD - Artist, The Walking Dead
IAN EDGINTON - Writer, Leviathan
DAVE GIBBONS - Artist, Watchmen and Kingsman
TIM PILCHER - UK Liaison, Humanoids
ERIC STEPHENSON - Publisher, Image Comics

Plus many more to confirm.

Full Delegate Tickets are just £65, which includes all events, portfolio reviews, the Breakfast reception, entry to our sister event ICE 2015 on the saturday and Networking Party.
Tailored tickets starting at just £20 are also available now from the website here: www.comicsuncovered.co.uk

PLACES ARE LIMITED TO JUST 300! Advanced booking only.'

mick3666

Anyone attending the Brum Con on the 18th who fancys a few beers on the evening should come along to
The Fiddle & Bone pub on Sheepcore Street, B16 8AE. From 6:30pm onwards the Dredd Screening Drinking Club (D.S.D.C.)will be having its 1st birthday bash. There'll be a great choice of beers & there's a live band later in the evening. Come along for "A Taste Of Justice"!

Bolt-01

Available almost exclusively at the BCF, NEROY SPHINX- Back in the game. Join writer Daniel Whiston and artists Johnny McMonagle, James Kircough and Dave Thomson as they chronicle the fall and rise of the one and only Neroy Sphinx.

Collecting all the strips from FutureQuake 04-20 alongside two new stories, NEROY SPHINX- Back in the game has been extensively reworked to fit the revised page layout and has been completely re-lettered throughout.

Art above from 'The De'Splurge Job' by Johnny McMonagle and on the right- the remastered page with tones by Dave Thomson

The collection is already available for pre-order via the FQP webshop and will be the centrepoint for the FQP table at the Birmingham Comic Festival on the 18th April.

Art above from 'Enter the Griffin' by James Kircough and on the right  the remastered page with tones by Dave Thomson

NEROY SPHINX- Back in the game. 98 pages, US Sized trade paperback, available now for a mere £5.00.

Of course you will also be able to get your fix of all the usual titles from FQP, including the latest Zarjaz.

Bolt-01

Cheers Megabus.

Just seen on the website for this gig that Steve Pugh is now added to the guest list. There's one for the sketch book!

Bolt-01

Folk, for those attending- apparently D'Isreali and Mark Farmer are not going to be at the gig, which is a shame personally as dizzy is always a fantastic chap to pass time with.

Eamonn Clarke

Not bad for a first event.
Plenty of Toothy droid signatures for my charity project book.
Always nice to meet up and catch up with Bolt-01, Lizzie, Connor, Owen, Simon and Dunk.
And to buy some Zarjaz, Futurequake and far too many back issues.

CrazyFoxMachine

Shame not to see D'Israeli but a lovely day event with lots of friendly faces in attendance. There wasn't a great deal of footfall but it was clearly organised with a lot of heart and I'd definitely go again.

ALSO I got to meet the legendary Ian Kennedy who I showed Alex Ronald's Kennedy-inspired Journal cover to:

and he liked it :D It was his first con and he adorably said "It's a year of firsts for me, my grandson took me for my first Burger King in February!"

ahaha - he made noises about showing up at Thought Bubble as well which would be a fine thing.