Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 30 July, 2019, 06:12:29 PM
Wouldn't Slaine have a problem that a few other 2000 AD properties have, being based or riffing on something else? It's based on Celtic Myths - I imagine you could have a barbarian with a battle frenzy, ditching Ukko and just do your own thing.

Like Robocop did with Judge Dredd! *

I hope something official happens, but a Heavy Armour Special Cop TV show is probably our best chance of seeing MC1 on screen. A Tesco Value Dredd would be free to get rid of all the baggage that makes producers nervous - giving 'Dredd' a personality and a sex life, exactly as Pat Mills tried to do with The Man Who Drank The Blood Of Satanus, forty years ago.

* Not really, but we all know the ins and outs of that one, so relax and go with it

Dandontdare

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 July, 2019, 01:54:23 PM

The view from The Ankler newslette
....We've heard that something like 80% of Netflix eyeballs go to licensed content....
... I've heard reports that somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% of Netflix viewing is done by families and children on family-related stuff.

Awful lot of vague rumours and guesswork there - I'd like to know the sources of these claims - the latter one particularly seems dubious to me - 70%?

Steve Green

What's the dialing code for Hong Kong? (at least you've plenty of rioting extras)

Given previous interviews about keeping control and doing it right, I just think that gap between control and someone giving them free reign at the budgets talked about is too great.

Either it's done on the cheap (which seems to be the approach for Rogue), or whoever is backing it financially has a much greater say.

Plus we've got no deal hanging around like a death belt full of flying rats...

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 July, 2019, 06:54:28 PM

....We've heard that something like 80% of Netflix eyeballs go to licensed content....
... I've heard reports that somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% of Netflix viewing is done by families and children on family-related stuff.

Awful lot of vague rumours and guesswork there - I'd like to know the sources of these claims - the latter one particularly seems dubious to me - 70%?

The 'Flix's biggest shows - by a huge margin - as confirmed by that article and every other source, are/were Friends and The (US) Office. Which suggests lonely divorcees crying into a bowl of vodka and cornflakes, to me.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 July, 2019, 06:54:28 PM

Everything about Netflix is guesswork, or leaked info, because figures are not publicly released; but The Ankler is an industry newsletter that is frequently right and well-connected. Sources wouldn't be sources if they were named but it doesn't take a crew of 'plumbers' secreting themselves into the nooks of a Grand Designs Netflix office arcology to find out what their most popular shows are.

Nielsen have also been monitoring Netflix: https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/the-office-friends-and-greys-anatomy-were-netflixs-most-streamed-shows-last-year/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/28/sorry-spongebob-more-kids-choosing-netflix-over-nickelodeon/

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 30 July, 2019, 06:48:16 PMA Tesco Value Dredd would be free to get rid of all the baggage that makes producers nervous - giving 'Dredd' a personality and a sex life, exactly as Pat Mills tried to do with The Man Who Drank The Blood Of Satanus, forty years ago.

One of my favourite Ron Smith Dredd's - though I think I missed that scene?

Frank

Quote from: sheridan on 30 July, 2019, 10:36:20 PM
Quote from: Frank on 30 July, 2019, 06:48:16 PMA Tesco Value Dredd would be free to get rid of all the baggage that makes producers nervous - giving 'Dredd' a personality and a sex life, exactly as Pat Mills tried to do with The Man Who Drank The Blood Of Satanus, forty years ago.

One of my favourite Ron Smith Dredd's - though I think I missed that scene?

In the original scripts (for The Blood Of Satanus) the woman at the heart of the story was Dredd's ex-girlfriend, giving him a greater emotional stake in events. MacManus says the published version was significantly rewritten. 'Pat was coming at the character from a different angle, trying to humanise him. I passed it but Alan Grant saw it and objected mightily'. Grant let Wagner see a summary of the script and he said he didn't want it to happen. As sub-editor, Grant rewrote the script, removing references to Dredd's romantic attachment. Grant believes Mills still harbours resentment about what happened*
Thrillpower Overload, p. 71-72

* From what I've read from and about Mills, I'd say that's probably an understatement

Steve Green

The long walk... up the stairs to Bedfordshire

von Boom

Woolly

TordelBack

Keef Monkey

Alan Grant got asked about the show at a Q&A thing I was at a few months ago and was very dismissive about it, I believe his words were 'a load of shite'. I'm taking that with a massive pinch of salt though because he seemed incredibly grumpy about absolutely everything he got asked about that day, plus he grumbled something vague about money which made me think he's probably down on it for that more than anything else.

The lack of further updates doesn't bother me, they only announced they were going to start developing the thing and I expect it'll be years before anything comes of it.

Tiplodocus

Many years ago at Moniaive I asked him what he thought of BATMAN BEGINS.

"Utter pish!"

He did acknowledge it was a well made film but fundamentally mis-understood Batman being self-made.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Steve Green

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 02 August, 2019, 09:04:55 AM
Alan Grant got asked about the show at a Q&A thing I was at a few months ago and was very dismissive about it, I believe his words were 'a load of shite'. I'm taking that with a massive pinch of salt though because he seemed incredibly grumpy about absolutely everything he got asked about that day, plus he grumbled something vague about money which made me think he's probably down on it for that more than anything else.

The lack of further updates doesn't bother me, they only announced they were going to start developing the thing and I expect it'll be years before anything comes of it.

Mentioning 1-2 years in the video announcements back in May 2017, even if you follow it up with being just a number plucked out of thin air was just going to lead to people thinking it's closer than it is.

If you don't give much in the way of updates, people will think it's never going to amount to anything. You can see that on the official facebook page for the series.

Just because there's a big announcement isn't a guarantee it will happen - we've been here before with the Shoreline Dredds nearly 20 years ago.