Main Menu

Kirkmans Invincible on Amazon Prime

Started by Barrington Boots, 01 April, 2021, 10:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

This being made slipped under my radar but I watched the first episode this morning. I found it quite slow, lacking in humour and wasn't a fan of the animation much (having just binged a load of old anime) but I've seen some good reviews for it so I'll giving the second episode a go. Anyone else seen it / worth sticking with?

It's been ages since I've read the source material - I  was really into it at one point, it felt breezy and fresh and interesting - but there was a point where it all started to feel very leaden and serious and I just gave up: I still haven't read the ending, which mirrors my experience with The Walking Dead really.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

zombemybabynow

Watch the first episode which was pretty cool
But obviously with so much being crammed into 3 episodes, a lot of the character & nuances were lost in translation

But also inspired me to :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Invincible-compendium-complete-collection-Book-1-2-3-New-amazon-show/284236496695?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Barrington Boots

I just watched the second episode on my lunch break. The voice acting cast is stellar and they've stuck reasonably close to the comics but I found the pacing really bad - the battle scenes are extended but it rushes between plot points, so yeah, it feels like a lot of the nuance and humour is lost in between.

The animation reminds me of older cartoons - this may be purposeful?

I think, like you, I'll try re-reading the comic instead!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Professor Bear

I only watched the first one and it seemed pretty rote, but maybe it goes somewhere good in later episodes.  I didn't think it was particularly bad or anything, it just has a lot of high-quality competition atm.

The notion that superheroes have been around for ages and now a generation of kids have grown up accepting them as part of their cultural landscape was a pretty tired setup when the Invincible comics started, being pretty much the default backstory of every single teen superhero comic made by Marvel, DC and Image since the early 1990s - but Invincible is explicitly a story about fascist ubermensch, so the cartoon is arguably now relevant where the comics weren't, now that the MCU has popularised the concept of genetically-perfect body-armored, US military-approved interventionists and the dynasties they build despite existing within democratic entities.

Radbacker

I'm really liking it, I like the animation style and they have captured the look of the art from the original comic quite well.  I quite liked the original comic but then I have only read the first five or so gn's and like all Kirkmans stuff it goes on quite a bit more than that so it could possibly drag later in the series.
You know that I'm if we can't get that live action MC1 series I wouldn't be complaining if the did Dredd in this style.

CU Radbacker

skurvy

I'm liking it too and a Dredd/MC1 series in this style was going around in my head while watching too.