Main Menu

Prog 2129 - Once Upon A Crime...

Started by A.Cow, 27 April, 2019, 01:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Hmmm ... that cover is perhaps a little too murky?

Judge Dredd: The Long Game (part 4) -- I normally like Michael Carroll's stories, but this one has not grabbed me. Too big a cast, with too many (needlessly-identified-by-name) throwaway characters.

Scarlet Traces: Homefront (part 4) -- enjoying this as usual.  Some subtle references ([spoiler]Richard Shops[/spoiler]!) alongside not-so-subtle ones ([spoiler]Hobbs Lane/End[/spoiler]).

Max Normal: How The Max Got His Stripes (part 6) -- has been so-so for me, but found myself extremely irked by the anachronistic references in gallery paintings.

Future Shocks: They Shoot Monsters, Don't They? -- satisfactory.

Kingmaker: Ouroboros (part seven) -- not my personal cup of tea, but others here are clearly enjoying it.

Eamonn Clarke

Could to see the return of Quatermass' Hobbs Lane underground station in Scarlet Traces.

And puzzling but intriguing last page appearance of a certain character [spoiler](thats's Kurt Vonnegut again, isn't it?)[/spoiler] which hints at something huge?

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 27 April, 2019, 02:59:45 PM
And puzzling but intriguing last page appearance of a certain character [spoiler](thats's Kurt Vonnegut again, isn't it?)[/spoiler] which hints at something huge?

[spoiler]Well, it certainly looks like him.[/spoiler]
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Colin YNWA

Well that is a BLINDIN' Prog, just superb. I got the last one just yesterday and that was great, to read the next, less than 24yrs later and for it to be even better is a joy.

Okay so the Future Shock wasn't a classic but it was solid and the art, while not as standout as last weeks has a lot of potential. Man these comp winners are certainly going all out for the gross out endings!

Dredd I really like the direct this one took BUT I kinda didn't like the idea that Dredd alone was so significent. Okay I fully accept that he's the finest Judge there's ever been and to crimes the very devil himself - as stated - BUT he is just one man and therefore can't individually just a thorn in the side of every criminal gang there is all the time... can he... so knowing where he is  useful like 0.2% of the time, or some such and no help if say Anderson, or Giant or Rico etc etc get onto ya tail... anyway that was a shame as overall this was really well done.

The rest are all sublime

Scarlet Traces was a deft and superb balance of action and character.

Kingmaker was a deft and superb balance of action and character with a ending that rolls our [spoiler]Brass[/spoiler] world. What the... is that... how do... wow, just wow...

Pick of the pops however - even with that ending - is Max Normal - as I've said before I never, for one moment thought I needed an origin story for Max - until I read this. Just sublime, absolutely sublime. The balance between tense action of the past and the swamping melancholly of the 'present' is just brilliant. This is a blindin' thrill.

Thank you Tharg.

Magnetica

Really liked this Dredd. It has the feel of the start of something..would be good to see Sage, the Parliament and the Kindred again. Best Carroll Dredd so far for me. I am though with Colin on the importance of Dredd...didn't think the line about keeping Dredd around because his replacement could be worse made much sense. It doesn't work like that...they just have Judges coming through, they wouldn't specifically make a "super" one to replace Dredd.

The rest of the Prog was treading water for me...until the last panel in Kingmaker. Oh my, does that mean what I think it does? [spoiler]Seems may be it does given others comments.[/spoiler]

Max's origins aren't grabbing me. So he basically based his style  on some-one else...hmmm....where did he get his style from?
Didn't really get the future shock.
Scarlet Traces feels like part of a bigger story..looking forward to reading it again when complete.

McNulty

Quotethey wouldn't specifically make a "super" one to replace Dredd.

They already did replace Dredd, when he took the Long Walk, Silver decided to use a replacement with the same genetic code to take Dredd's place. Dredd is more than a man, to many because of what he has done and what he stands for, he is a symbol of Justice. The criminals undoubtably see him in the same way.

Geoff

Again, Sexton's art on Dredd was great, but the conclusion of the story didn't work for me for reasons already set out above.

Kingmaker and Scarlett Traces are still great reads, with quite a surprise in Kingmaker! Does that mean what I think it means...!?

The Max Normal strip I've mainly enjoyed but there has always been something that irks about it, I'm not quite sure what, but I felt it more this episode..still keeping with it though.

The Future Shock on the other hand was unpleasant rather than shocking and the art was a rather clumsy and unattractive mish-mash.

A mixed bag then...

Leigh S

just back from my travels - no 2128 no 2129 - wassup, Tharg??

Geoff

Quote from: Leigh S on 28 April, 2019, 04:28:46 PM
just back from my travels - no 2128 no 2129 - wassup, Tharg??

A lot of 2128s, including mine, fell prey to an Easter thrill-sucker outbreak, a replacement request may be in order.

Normal service resumed with 2129 for me... 

The Enigmatic Dr X

I've no idea who the Einstein-a-like is at the end of Kingmaker. Who is it?

And the (I think) mid-page time jump was jarring too.
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 30 April, 2019, 08:06:43 PM

[spoiler]I'm assuming it's the Kurt Vonnegut character who's been lurking about in people's heads in Brass Sun.[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 April, 2019, 08:11:20 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 30 April, 2019, 08:06:43 PM

[spoiler]I'm assuming it's the Kurt Vonnegut character who's been lurking about in people's heads in Brass Sun.[/spoiler]

It's all too much for me to remember!
Lock up your spoons!

Trout

Fuuuuuuuck that's a good twist in Kingmaker. Shared universe stuff is always fun. Nice work.

I'm still loving Scarlet Traces and Max Normal, and I enjoyed that Dredd story. I appreciate my weekly anthology comic!

- Trout

broodblik

Another good prog.

Highlights are Kingmaker (nice twist at the end) and Scarlet Traces. The Dredd story was great as well.

Max Normal I am enjoying more than I should since not the character or the artists was my favorites (both growing on me)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.