Main Menu

Prog 2142 - Major Malfunction

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 July, 2019, 03:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MumboJimbo

Quote from: Frank on 31 July, 2019, 10:14:29 AM

I still hope Tharg's just told Kek-W to cut off as many yards of Indigo Prime as he needs to fill a trade paperback - never mind the quality, feel the width - rather than forcing us to endure years of the literary equivalent of watching Bennet Beeny stumble around in America Jara's body, slurring his/her words and pissing themselves.

Well each to his own, but I think Kek is doing some good stuff with the IP IP. Would it be better if John Smith was in a place where he could continue his story? - absolutely, but for someone else to take over such a sprawling narrative I think he's doing a stand-up job.

Maybe you've covered this elsewhere, but what in particular don't you like about it?

Frank

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 31 July, 2019, 02:55:00 PM
Maybe you've covered this elsewhere, but what in particular don't you like about it?

If you've got a spare weekend, here and (to a lesser extent) here.

I don't think Kek-W's done a bad job. I don't think there's no way anyone other than Smith can write Indigo Prime. I just can't see the point.

MumboJimbo

The link was helpful - particularly this nugget:

Quote from: Frank on 17 July, 2019, 04:16:43 PM
[* DISCLAIMER: I'M IDEOLOGICALLY OPPOSED TO CONTINUING INDIGO PRIME WITHOUT JOHN SMITH, SO I'M ESSENTIALLY A BAD FAITH ACTOR AND MY OPINIONS SHOULD BE UNDERSTOOD IN THAT CONTEXT

I guess that's a fair stance, but when you're commenting on a particular prog it's only fair (in my opinion) to critique the episode on its own merits. Otherwise you're just repeating "I'm ideologically opposed to this" with different words. But actually you're not, as I didn't pick up on that. But perhaps the others who regularly comment on the "review the prog" posts know you and understand your opinion on this.

Frank

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 31 July, 2019, 03:39:48 PM
when you're commenting on a particular (deleted for analogical purposes) it's only fair (in my opinion) to critique the episode on its own merits.

I urge you never to click on any of the various Watchmen, Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr Who or Politics threads.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Glad to see Grub's Disease get a mention in Damage Report  :thumbsup:

Loving this Dredd and the fact someone's finally worked out how to (mis)use those eyes, and Maitland's my new hero btw

IP, totally unfair I know, but I skip this, totally beyond me, sorry!

Anderson, not really working for me either...

Absalom: too short! we need ten pages of this at a time! Is next week's a bumper issue? Nooo!? everything else is continuing, cant see how this will all tie up unless its a total slaughterbowl.

Thistlebone: that last page is a cracker, cant wait for Saturday's installment

DDT did a job on me

Woolly

Dredd is firing on all cylinders right now, rare for me to be enjoying a Rob Williams Dredd to this degree, but Pin and Gerhart are such good characters I can't help but love this. The Weston droid delivers in spades.

IP is fascinating to read week by week, but not something I can easily follow. I just wish Tharg had waited for John Smith. Kek-W's work is absolutely fine, but it all feels a bit 'unofficial'.

Anderson isn't doing it for me sadly. Nothing wrong with it, just isn't for me.

Absalom continues to be wonderful, damn shame this is the end. Still, leave 'em wanting more I guess! 😉

Now, Thistlebone should be right up my street, but something just isn't working for me. Can't quite put my finger on it, so I'll assume it's just me!

Good prog though.
Oh, and the cover is outstanding! 👍

TordelBack

I, uh, l enjoyed that very much. Even the bit I don't like was very pretty.

Dredd is good fun, Weston elevating proceedings into the upper atmosphere. I may not be wild about Williams Dredd, but there's no denying that he has that Pat Mills genius for inspiring the very best art.

Absalom is storytelling taken to a surgical level: precise, intense, compelling, relentless. Brilliant work.

Thistlebone continues to entrance, and Anderson looks great and holds my interest.

It's all-round great comics.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Magnetica on 31 July, 2019, 08:08:42 AM

Indigo Prime. I'm so glad this is the last ever series. I know a lot of people like it, but sorry not for me. I like to have some clue as to what is going on week to week.

Is it? I can't remember seeing that announced anywhere?

Will be sad if it is...

norton canes

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 July, 2019, 10:51:46 PM
Absalom is storytelling taken to a surgical level: precise, intense, compelling, relentless. Brilliant work

Thank you - I was trying to articulate how much I love this strip and you've done it perfect justice.

Like others I can't believe this is going to wrap in five or six pages, but I've no doubt the Rennie droid is up to the task. In fact I can't believe that the whole Rennie world which began so long ago with  Caballistics, Inc is going to disappear.

Oh and there were some shouts a few weeks ago that D'Israeli should enter the pantheon of all-time great 2000 AD artists; well, absolutely, as long as he's joined by Tiernen Trevallion, whose work on Absalom has been stunning.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Jacqusie on 31 July, 2019, 11:41:21 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 31 July, 2019, 08:08:42 AM

Indigo Prime. I'm so glad this is the last ever series. I know a lot of people like it, but sorry not for me. I like to have some clue as to what is going on week to week.

Is it? I can't remember seeing that announced anywhere?

Will be sad if it is...

See Frank's post on the previous page. I think some misread "latest" as "last", which suits me fine as Lee's artwork on it has had some reeeeeeal high points.

Speaking of the visuals, damn, I would buy a book of Chris Weston's un-lettered Dredd strips just to gawp at. Holy smokes.

73north

For me the latest Prog was good with just 2 Stories that I wish would end sooner rather than later
( PSI Anderson and Indigo Prime )

The Dredd story about Judge Pin is just wonderful - zero complaints .

Indigo Prime - I consider myself an educated and intelligent man , and I struggle to follow the story
a bit , I just don't rate it ( the artwork is good )

PSI Anderson - sorry , but although Emma Beeby is a not bad writer - this is just so-so , not enjoying it

Thistlebone.  I am really enjoying this - gets better and better

Absalom. Gordon Rennie usually delivers the goods , and this has been fun .

Looking forward to last part - then Jaegir in Valkyrie next Month !!
for me , along with John Wagner , Pat Mills and Michael Carroll ,
Gordon Rennie is the best writer 2000AD has in the Prog .

Magnetica

Quote from: 73north on 01 August, 2019, 02:13:23 PM
along with John Wagner , Pat Mills and Michael Carroll ,
Gordon Rennie is the best writer 2000AD has in the Prog .

Dan Abnett?

ZenArcade

Great Adam Brown cover, he's going from strength to strength.  Love to see him doing a Dredd. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

So given many of us find out tomorrow, how do we think Absalom is going to end? Inspector and Guv'nor both dead,    I'm sure, but the kiddies? Alive? Transformed into hideous monsters that Absalom has to kill? Dead since the start? Never existed at all, juse an excuse/trick for Absalom to pursue his war? Place your bets!