Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

...and Judge Dredd around the same time - I'd never heard of High Society before that orbiting luxury condo.

ming

While reading the last couple of episodes of Grey Area it finally popped into my head that BEM probably stands for Bug-Eyed Monster... Or does it?

sheridan

Quote from: ming on 05 April, 2019, 01:58:39 PM
While reading the last couple of episodes of Grey Area it finally popped into my head that BEM probably stands for Bug-Eyed Monster... Or does it?

That's the usual meaning of the acronym.

Leigh S

milliput is a play on Lilliput!  Not 2000ad I know, but mind, blown.

Jacqusie

The Vestal Virgin 'Mater Clementia' who fought Felix and Aquilla in the fall of Rome...

...and that strange lady on the front cover of the album 'Goats Head Soup' by The Rolling Stones

I think so anyway!  :thumbsup:

Btw, just re-reading Aqullia and marvelling at just how good it all was...

GordonR

The Mater Clementia comes from various creepy-looking statues of veiled Vestal Virgins, but especially the famous 19th century one at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire.

With a bit of vintage Dario Argento thrown in.

Not familiar with the Stones album, but I imagine they were riffing from the same source.

sheridan

Quote from: Jacqusie on 02 May, 2019, 11:24:28 PM
The Vestal Virgin 'Mater Clementia' who fought Felix and Aquilla in the fall of Rome...

...and that strange lady on the front cover of the album 'Goats Head Soup' by The Rolling Stones

I wasn't familiar with the album cover, so looked it up.  That ain't no lady - it's Mick Jagger!

JayzusB.Christ

My Wicker Man obsession intensifies at this time of year, and I thought I'd managed to uncover every single reference in it by now.  But then I find that the music that accompanies Eddie Woodward being dressed in [spoiler]sacrificial robes and paraded towards his play place of execution[/spoiler] is a real medieval song with lyrics that celebrate summer, just like Summer is Icumen In..
https://youtu.be/7UvesKl8_W8

P.S. this is the first May in years I haven't managed to find an actual wicker man burning ceremony and wear an appropriate costume for it. Next year!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

It's not over my head, but I just want to give a nod to "Noam Chimpsky".  I like it!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Dash Decent on 17 May, 2019, 10:48:51 AM
It's not over my head, but I just want to give a nod to "Noam Chimpsky".  I like it!

That one was already a thing, though...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nim_Chimpsky
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Dash Decent

Thanks Lobo, in that case it was over my head.

I'm familiar with Noam Chomsky, but not Nim (Neam) Chimpsky.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Frank

Honestly not sure whether this is something you all need to sit down for or if it's the equivalent of telling someone that Spock's mum was called T'Pau.

My excuse is that I'd never tasted a quince in the eighties, and certainly didn't know they looked a little like mishapen heads. I got the mince connection, obviously, since mince (boiled until it was grey) was the default dinner option for every Scottish mum between WWII and the fall of the Berlin wall.

Should have known; Wagner and Grant were partial to a bit of Quince. *

* Wagner, Grant & Ezquerra, Prog 190, less than a year before that panel from The Hotdog Run (233)

sheridan

Quince must be the plural form of (Banjo) Quint

Theblazeuk

Man that Nim Chimpsky link is but one of the things I love about this place, cheers.

Dandontdare

I wasn't an Eagle reader in the 80s, but I'm enjoying the Where Eagles Dare podcast - I have only just learned from the latest episode where forum veteran The Amstor Computer got his name from.